ABDTR #5 Alberta Chapter #5 Discussion

Drag Wars

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about the damage I was following to see how it would make out...Is this going to put a end to the dream or this a speed bump in the road?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:14 AM
The Guru

Whats wrong with the Fass pump? We should just rip her apart and see whats wrong.

Yup, I do Kev. I have a nice clean 01 engine. Your head would just fit on. We could put in a gridle for the mains and put some studs. I can work with you if you want to change things. I was going to build up my 98 12v this winter, but I can do both at the same time. I was saving up for pistons. I found some Ross pistons. I probably can get a decent deal if I wait a month or two after the season ends. We should look into the billet plates to re-inforce the lifter tappet covers, frost plugs, and so on. I guess at that point you should put in a big cam as well.

Sorry for you bad luck, what ever you decide, can I get the broken block? I need an engine for a mock-up engine. Next year prior to race, we should get a witch vodoo doctor to get rid of all the bad stuff.

So which issue of Diesel mag you gonna be in?
Old 08-24-2009, 09:27 AM

Whoa...that sucks.

On the brightside....you can finally get rid of that 3rd gen engine and get yourself a pee-pump...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:49 AM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whoa.. Thats just bad... Sorry to hear Kevin...
Old 08-24-2009, 10:53 AM

And here I was worried about the HG popping with only a couple re-torques...

Sorry for the bad luck, you must have been making some big power to pop the block. That is typically a pullers trick not a drag racers.

Any videos of the runs you did make?
Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by morkable
Well as it turned out the fuel pump was the least of my worries this weekend.... I finally got all the other bugs out, and then I found a new way to screw things up,, lol. I put a sightline in my block, from either tire you can look through my engine and see the other tire. Amazing thing is, the truck was still making power for another 600 feet after this happened,, and even when I finally got the truck stopped it was still running, I had actually shut the truck off... lots of parts and oil all down the track...

I guess time for that dream engine,,, got any spare blocks in your garage there Mike,, LOL
" put a sight line in my block"...... What a great saying....
Sorry for your luck....
Old 08-24-2009, 12:05 PM
The Guru

How big was the spill on the track? Did Kelly get the video? At least you did a decent kill. There is always more motors out there.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:16 PM

Must see a pic please when you get time......... Did you have a 53 block? In all seriousness that sucks man. Sorry to hear about the death of a cummins.
Old 08-24-2009, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shouldn't be a 53 in a third gen.
Old 08-24-2009, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by dvst8r
And here I was worried about the HG popping with only a couple re-torques...
You and me both.

We need to see some pics. Sucks to hear, but now you get your wish of building up a race motor. The doc is right, lets throw a 12v in there. You won't be rpm limited anymore.
Old 08-24-2009, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by greenworks
Sorry to hear about the damage I was following to see how it would make out...Is this going to put a end to the dream or this a speed bump in the road?
Just a speed bump,, I knew it was going to happen sooner or later, even the cummins can only handle so much.... I can tell you this much, that truck was making serious HP... I was launching harder than I have ever seen... I was pulling on 8 second cars,, sometimes spinning all 4 to half track... It was a beast.,., I estimate minimum 1300 HP.

Mike, can we build a CR with that block? I would love to have you help me build one, I think it would be cool,,, also start dreaming up twins,, using this turbo as the top turbo,, I had absolutely no problem spooling that turbo,, I could get 20 PSI no problem on the line and very quickly too... I was launching at only 10 or less just to keep the violent wheel spin under control.

When the engine let go, I was pulling away on a 9.90 car. Truck was still making power with the holes in the block... amazing I tell you.

We have some pics and videos, and will get them up as soon as I get a moment!
Old 08-24-2009, 05:39 PM

OMG!!!! That's crazy Kevin.............
Old 08-24-2009, 06:12 PM
The Guru

How low buck you want to do? You have idea if the rods/pistons survived?
How about the head? The gearbox survive? Replacing the block is easy and do a simple rebuild. A few upgrades in the right spots, you should be good to go.

You could also just find another CR motor, and try again. That might be easier and just add the reforcing parts.

To me its amazing that a near stock engine survived that much power (abuse). Try that with a duraweak or power joke.
Old 08-24-2009, 07:25 PM

Tranny and turbo are good,, just the block an such... not sure about the head,,, not sure if maybe that is where the trouble started... one of the guys helping do the cleanup said that he found some valve keepers on the track,, that would sure suck if my troubles came from that brand new head
Old 08-24-2009, 09:59 PM

So if you go twins are you going to drop the spray?

Quick Reply: Drag Wars