4th Gen Ram -Non Drivetrain- 2010 and Up Talk about the 2010 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bye for now....4th gen report at 36k

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 06:32 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Bye for now....4th gen report at 36k

Well, not really- I'll still be around, but I've demoted myself to the 3rd gen section for the time being. Looking at building a house again and didn't want to beat up my "new" truck doing it, also needed to rearrange some finances to get things ready to go in that regard. As a result, I did the unthinkable and sold my 2011 a couple of weeks ago. Was really, really sad to see it go. Picked up a beater 2006 long-bed in the meantime (see sig. below).

Just a couple of observations from someone who went 3rd gen 5.9 - 4th gen 6.7 - 3rd gen 5.9:

1. 6.7s are more expensive to buy () and maintain. Oil changes are much more frequent (on non-deleted trucks), like twice as often. For some reason fuel filters are 4x more expensive, air filters 2x. In general, non-deleted 6.7s get about 20% less mpgs than the 5.9s. The old saying "you can buy it but can you afford it?" applies here.

2. Those short-comings aside, the 68RFE is far superior to the 48re. Also the ride, creature comforts, interior look and feel and seats on the 4th gens are a great deal better (not to mention the exhaust brake and downshifting tow-haul mode). The crew cab is a must (compared to the quad) for those transporting full-size family and friends in the back seat. I suspect many of the gremlins of the 3rd gens have been exercised out of the 4th gen as well; i.e. ball joints & blend doors and the like. Compare the list of "help me" type threads (severity and frequency) in the 3rd gen section to those in the 4th gen and you'll see what I mean. Granted, the 4th gen fleet doesn't have the miles on it yet, but still.

3. For those who are risk-adverse like me (read "I can't have a $600+/mo truck payment AND be my own warranty station"), there's nothing like that new truck smell and the warranty that comes with it.

4. Towing impressions: I towed my trailer up some pretty good grades at highway speeds over the holiday weekend with the 2006. Passed and pulled away from a Duramax towing similar weight on a long, 7% grade at 70 mph . I bet his kids were disappointed. The 5.9 has more low-end torque (or the computer isn't penalizing it when you come off the line) compared to the 6.7. I really missed that when I bought the 2011, and it was the first thing I noticed when I picked up the 2006 last week: grunt down low. The 6.7 may have a bottomless well of power at highway speeds, especially in a headwind and uphill, but it's a slug off the line by comparison. Let the 5.9 kick down into 2nd gear at 65 mph and 3000 rpm though, and it will pull the devil out of h(eck). Incidentally, both my trucks do/did 0-60 in the same amount of time empty, but the 5.9 feels quicker (note, my 2011 was not an H.O.). The 4th gen feels more stable towing though, and you can't put a price on the confidence the exhaust brake and auto downshifting in tow-haul mode give you. I also happened to appreciate the integrated brake controller.

All in all, I think I ended up with a fine consolation prize (if it holds together for the next year or so) and am looking forward to getting back into a 2013 or 2014 when things settle down again, because, after all, you can't get a 5.9 crew cab with low miles and a factory warranty*.

Thanks and see 'ya around.

*P.S., had excellent dealer experiences with both the 2003 & 2011. They fixed anything I complained about under warranty, even giving me a loaner once because they couldn't get the job done by closing time.
Old 07-08-2013, 07:18 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Dude, this is a great write up. Good luck with your new stuff!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:34 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
SOhappy:

I agree with Mark,.....good objective write-up between the 5.9 and 6.7 trucks! Thanks for taking the time to do it.

It is no secret that I am one member here that will NEVER buy or drive any 6.7 Dodge CTD CR. No offense to any member here that does own or drive one, but I don't like them. And yes, I have driven alot of them. I especially agree with you on the towing aspects of the 5.9 vs the 6.7.

--------
John_P
Old 07-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Indeed, great comparison, and sad to see you have to part with the truck you enjoyed.

Ill agree with you on all points, stock for stock.

John, you are right my friend, somewhat. You just aint rode in the right 6.7 with the right amount of expensive crap bolted to it.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:47 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks guys, here's the replacement:
Old 07-09-2013, 01:56 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
All the points you made are some of the reasons I spent so much time hunting down the 2006 Mega cab with 30,000 miles I just bought
Old 07-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Oh and I REALLY wanted one of those crappy 3rd gen seats
Old 07-23-2013, 04:23 PM
"Gomer Pyle"

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
John P, if you find yourself in New Bern then get up with me. I'll show you a 6.7 with some power. If I had more room in my sig I'd add some new data.

As far as the write up, I have worked on plenty of 5.9's and they are great. I just hate the 4 speed!!!
Old 07-23-2013, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What alls done to your 6.7 in new bern?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by New2Diesel
John P, if you find yourself in New Bern then get up with me. I'll show you a 6.7 with some power. If I had more room in my sig I'd add some new data.

As far as the write up, I have worked on plenty of 5.9's and they are great. I just hate the 4 speed!!!
----------------------------------
O.K.,.....if you ever get around Holly Ridge get up with ME and I will show you an "antique" 96' Dodge CTD 12 VALVE with some power!
I LOVE my 4 speed!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
All the points you made are some of the reasons I spent so much time hunting down the 2006 Mega cab with 30,000 miles I just bought
This is the #1 reason i jumped at my 07 Mega DRW 5.9.,last of the best (at the time)Don't get me wrong,the new truck smell/more creature comfort/power etc is appealing but i made my decision and budget wise now it sure is nice not having any truck/car payments(both Mrs and me). This truck gets the job done for me and what i need it for.The bro-law works for the government that runs numerous 6.7's and newer Duramax's,"ABSOLUTELY"way more down time/problems compare to the older diesels they used before all the emission crap(governments don't do deletes---they just spend have more $$$ to fix).My 2 cents/no flame or war intended----CHEERS DW.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by DWeiler
This is the #1 reason i jumped at my 07 Mega DRW 5.9.,last of the best (at the time)Don't get me wrong,the new truck smell/more creature comfort/power etc is appealing but i made my decision and budget wise now it sure is nice not having any truck/car payments(both Mrs and me). This truck gets the job done for me and what i need it for.The bro-law works for the government that runs numerous 6.7's and newer Duramax's,"ABSOLUTELY"way more down time/problems compare to the older diesels they used before all the emission crap(governments don't do deletes---they just spend have more $$$ to fix).My 2 cents/no flame or war intended----CHEERS DW.
------------------------
Exactly right DW! I agree with everything you said in your post and will add that I will never buy another NEW Dodge CTD CR Pickup with all the
emissions CRAP they now have on those trucks! As you pointed out, the problems on them (Dodge, Chevy and Ford) are numerous on the stock trucks and while the DELETED owned trucks are somewhat better, owners then have to deal with having their factory warranties voided if they encounter a problem and Dodge sees they were deleted or modified.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by John_P
------------------------
Exactly right DW! I agree with everything you said in your post and will add that I will never buy another NEW Dodge CTD CR Pickup with all the
emissions CRAP they now have on those trucks! As you pointed out, the problems on them (Dodge, Chevy and Ford) are numerous on the stock trucks and while the DELETED owned trucks are somewhat better, owners then have to deal with having their factory warranties voided if they encounter a problem and Dodge sees they were deleted or modified.
This is why we went back to gas trucks at work(bread business---23 years/1million+ miles logged with the same company---keeps me employed cause people are still eating). I drive 65000 miles a year between work/play and after the problems other companies/competion started having with 07+ diesel trucks for delivery service it was not cost effective.Basically we dump our trucks every 6 years as they get filtered though the fleet/gradually moving them over to spare truck/less mileage routes once they accumulate 200,000 miles or more.Right now i am driving a 2012 3 ton Isuzu gasser/cab-over with a de-rated GM 6LT-295HP/ double over drive 6 speed tranny---cats Edit,love this new ride,gets the job done well.I can manouver this thing into tight places/turns on a dime/plenty of go till 70MPH with 5:13 ratio---and to boot 11 MPG average.A little better mileage wise than the 2 Ford 7.3 diesels i ran for 10 years.My old truck 07 GM 6LT one ton cube is still being used on the downtown route with 350,000KM(217,000+miles),original motor/tranny/rear end, lots of stop and go driving----but maintained.This just my experience---CHEERS