4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Truck started making a new noise. Need help

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 07:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck started making a new noise. Need help

Got up this morning and started to head out with 5th wheel in tow. Not far down the road I noticed a noise I hadn't heard before. It seems to be coming from the center of the truck, close to under the rear seat area maybe. It sound like a hollow airey sound. Kind of like electric brakes.
I decided to go back and unhook the 5th wheel, the noise is still there only not as loud. Any ideas on what it might be? Going to take it in to the dealer this am to see what they say.

Thanks !!!! You guys are always great!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM

Just left the local dealer. The tech drove it and heard the noise but is not sure what it is. Thinks it could be a bearing but wants me to bring it back on Monday to have someone else listen to it. Guess my vacation is on hold.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 AM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Does the sound change at all when turning the steering wheel back & forth? What happens when you press the brake pedal?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2013, 11:50 AM

The noise does not seem to change when moving the steering wheel. I don't notice a change in the noise when pressing the brakes either. But it goes away when you stop. The sound of the cummins will drown out the noise when excelerating. The noise is there whether you are going 5 or 70. Harder to notice until you get to atleast 10. It does not seem to change in pitch or speed of the sound either. No other shakes or wobbles yet.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:17 PM

It is hard to say, maybe it could be a line coming off the brake booster. I had a strange air/hissing noise that, if my memory serves me correct, either went away, or changed slightly when pressing the brakes. The noise didn't really going away or become more pronounced with speed. There is a plastic piece in the brake booster lines that can sometimes malfunction (no affect on braking) that causes a hissing noise, but you can hear it under the dash. We were pulling our household goods (about 13k) when the problem started, but, the truck drove and stopped fine. Dealer replaced a line and the hissing stopped.

From what you said coming from underneath the rear seat (i missed the "rear seat" on the original post), you may have something else going on. I can't see anything under that area that would cause what you are describing. I would double check all fluids in the trans, t-case and rear axle and make sure nothing got caught up around the drive shaft.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-17-2013, 01:37 PM

It's not the brake booster line. I had that problem sometime ago and it's been fixed. Another fine story about the greedy dealer.

I'm thinking that it is the carrier bearing. The drive shaft is a little loose and it would be in the area the noise is coming from.
Old 08-17-2013, 01:50 PM

That isn't good! Hopefully you still have a warranty, if not, I would take it to a drive-train shop to diagnose and repair, may be a lot cheaper and get you going sooner, if the parts are available locally...maybe even swap it yourself if you have the means to do so and keep from ruining your trip.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:08 PM

It's under warranty , only 52000 on her. I don't trust the dealer to be honest because of past experience. I have a local guy that specializes in this sort of thing. I have always used him for my 4x4 stuff. I could do it but couldn't get the part before Wednesday cause it is special order from factory according to napa. Dealer won't touch it before mid week and my guy isn't open on weekends. So no matter which way I go provided it is the problem looks like no vacation unless I find out it is something else by tomorrow.

Thanks
Patti
Old 08-17-2013, 02:45 PM

That is how I feel about Lithia when we were in Montana. After I let the dealer here in Vegas repair a trans leak on our Aspen, that was suppose to be under warranty, I was cheated, and left with an expensive repair bill. Should have just fixed it myself, but was being lazy

I looked at the service manual and couldn't narrow it down any further than that it could be anything on the driveline making that noise.

Hopefully they or your mechanic can get it fixed for you sooner rather than later. Let us know what you find out.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:58 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by thumper
Got up this morning and started to head out with 5th wheel in tow. Not far down the road I noticed a noise I hadn't heard before. It seems to be coming from the center of the truck, close to under the rear seat area maybe. It sound like a hollow airey sound. Kind of like electric brakes.
I decided to go back and unhook the 5th wheel, the noise is still there only not as loud. Any ideas on what it might be? Going to take it in to the dealer this am to see what they say.

Thanks !!!! You guys are always great!
converters sometimes make noise like that, but i don't know if it is harmful....i had a '92 that had a weird whooshing sound for well ove 15000 k,it was still present when i sold it...................
Old 08-27-2013, 05:12 PM

Update

I ended up making other arrangements and continued with modified vacation plans. Yesterday I took my truck into the dodge dealer for a test drive to let the service manager listen to the noise. After the test drive we left the truck with the service dept for a look see and I get a call a short couple hours later to say that it was the carrier bearing that was going and it would be covered under the warranty. I picked it up this afternoon and sounds much better. I
suspected it was the carrier bearing but couldn't believe it would be a problem with only 56000 on the truck. 90% of the miles are not pulling, carrying, or towing any weight.

Thanks
Patti