4th Gen Engine and Drivetrain-2010 and Up 6.7 liter Engine and Drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Aisin slipping under heavy load and then limp mode.

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 08:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aisin slipping under heavy load and then limp mode.

I have a 2014 3500 with 36000 miles. I purchased this used at 30,000 miles. 3 times now, while pulling my 16,000 pound 5th wheel, at speeds from 10 to 35mph, there is a huge slip, feeling like I have run over something, after which it goes into limp mode. Service has changed pinion and second time changed valve body. Problem is still there and I now have it in for 3rd time. I believe they are telling me it's throwing the same code again (?7?). Dealer I went to in Yukon OK at Westpoint Dodge is stumped and say they are now working with Chrysler.

I saw a thread in a different forum that said there was an updated isolator released (for the propshaft center bearing). Does this solve the problem? I have no idea. My truck goes into limp mode every time this happens. My biggest concern is that I get my camper out on the road and it does it while away. Moving a 16,000 pound 5th wheel in limp mode is no easy task. Any help here?
Old 06-07-2017, 11:56 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Is the code for one of the solenoids inside the transmission? Is that why they replaced the valve body? Get them to check the wiring especially at the connector in the drivers side wheel well behind the wheel well liner. Check for pins pushed back or damaged wires.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 PM

Yes, apparently it's solenoid number 7 and that's why they replaced the valve body the first time. I will send your suggestion to the service manager. Thanks for your help!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Check the harness headed towards the trans. I heard about one the other day where the harness was pulled tight where it rounded a corner. Ended up rubbing a small hole through a wire. In the shop, everything checked out perfectly, but once you got on the road and hit a bump just right, it would ground out the wire and through it into limp mode.
Old 06-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Busboy, I think you nailed it! Before I could get your information to the Dealer, they believe they found it. This is how the invoice reads: "Found terminal pushed out of I255 connector T795. Repaired connector. Code not returning at this time." Service manager said he is 99.9999% sure that this is the problem. I'll be taking my trailer out in a few days and I will see if I can make the problem happen again. I'll report back as soon as I know something.
Old 06-09-2017, 12:07 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My son had the problem with his 2013 aisin and the dealer wanted to replace the valve body but couldn't get one for a couple of weeks. We decided to remove the pan and have a look, we had every single solenoid out of the valve body and they were all good every single one. I was just going to change out the solenoid that was faulting but it was impossible to buy one. While in there we also checked every connector inside and all good. From there we followed the wiring back to the connector in the drivers wheel well where we found 2 pins pushed back and also a damaged wire. Those 2 connector while a sealed connector are open in the back and prone to damage and corrosion. We added dielectric grease to the connector and all was good after that. I should add that the solenoids are NOT all the same but it appears there are some that are identical the larger ones were in pairs and we interchanged to see if the fault code changed to a different location which it did not. It was after this that we then checked the wiring further.