24 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Discuss the 24 Valve engine and drivetrain here. No non-drivetrain discussions please. NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Limp mode then normal operation ?!?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Limp mode then normal operation ?!?

Hi guys,

Another post to try and trace problems with my truck performance.

List to date:

Initially wouldn't change from 1st to 2nd onstarting out first thing after overnight parking (under car port).
Changed apps and both the governor solenoid and sensor in tranny. Also changed filter and topped off with new AT+4. This fixed the transmission gear change problem.

Now I am chasing limp mode situation that seems to be temperature related - either air or coolant. My thoughts are MAP and IAT sensor (not cleaned yet - just got the sockets) and possibly ECT sensor.
I read an article on this site that said the ECT (engine coolant temperature sensor) affects injection pump timing.

Truck tarts fine (never had a problem) and idles steady. On pulling away after starting engine goes into limp mode - revs change with throttle change - just no power. At first I could switch engine off and reset then restart and all would be normal for the rest of the day. Now when starting after overnight parking, the engine starts fine and still gives limp mod until the engine warms up - then the limp mode disappears. This has happened three times in a row. yesterday I noticed the engine temp as being just over the midway between 60 and 90 degrees C. This could be just a coincidence of course.

Throughout all of this the DTC I have had have been P0216 and P0222. After clearing the codes only the P0216 comes back. The engine runs and sounds fine - no hesitating or smoking when out of limp mode. I am not about to panic and rush off to put a new VP44 in - too much money and not enough info yet.

So, the MAP, IAT and ECT can all cause limp mode situation if my understanding is correct. Also any of the sensor wires and connections can do same - bare, cracked, broken dirty etc.

Today I will remove (hopefully) the MAP and IAT sensors and check and clean and see what happens. Also check out the wiring for each as much as possible.

Any other information you guys could add would be much appreciated.

I am sure I am not the first to have these annoying problems and would be interested in other owners experiences. I am kind of new to this type of trouble shootiing and am always happy to learn something new.

Thanks and sorry about the long post.

mariner