3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 08:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Parts/Service
Make sure that when they replaced the TIPM, that they hooked up the STAR SCAN to make sure the new TIPM had the latest software update. If it does not have the latest software, you are no better off then before. We sell alot of Diesel trucks. We have seen this problem on a fair amount of them. But after the latest software is loaded in the TIPM, the problem is no longer there. I do think it is rediculous to have software in a fuse panel.
Been there done that......and have seen repeated TIPM failures. Relays, fuses, larger wire from here on.
Old 08-23-2007, 09:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
we do this on volvo semi trucks a lot as well where i work. ITs fairly sad. We have to order them per vin number as well.

I was going to use the idea like what was brought up with the whole relay thing. run the factory harness into a fuse box, that into a relay box, then the relay box into another fuse box. OR anyone know if its possible to just eliminate the module? just wire around it? who knows.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:37 AM

Does anyone know if this problem has been rectified for the 2007 or does the problem still exist?
Old 10-12-2007, 08:27 AM

i noticed that my left signal was not working on the trailer i tested and tested and tested some more looked for fuses and just tracked my brain on the problem

then i just found another wire under the truck in front of where the trailer plug wiring is that had left signal and put in a jumper wire and it worked fine

thought i had the problem the realized that left brake light on trailer is not working and cant figure it out because the brake light power for both brake lights come off the the same lug inside the 8 pin connector

so i figure if one works the other should maybe i will call the dealer as i need to take truck in for inspection anyway
Old 10-12-2007, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by slauso
Does anyone know if this problem has been rectified for the 2007 or does the problem still exist?
Not sure but i doubt it. How long did it take them to address the vp44 problem ?
Old 10-12-2007, 12:27 PM

well i clipped the jumper wire that i had put in for my left signal and took it in and they preformed the tsb and bingo all is well again
Old 10-15-2007, 10:18 PM

I just purchased a 2007 2500 4WD this weekend, does it have this same TIPM setup? Does anyone know if a change was made from 06 (besides the "reprogram")?
Old 11-12-2007, 04:40 PM

On my 03 I had to replace the fuse block because the trailer turn signal relays are internal and when they go thats it for the whole panel. That was my first ram ctd, and with 140,000 miles thats the only thing I can complain about. Now I own a 07 mega 3500 6.7 auto and just love it.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:34 AM

Does this situation also apply to the reverse lights? I have installed two additional lights to the reverse light circuit and hard wired them into the reverse light wiring at the trailer connector on the rear bumper. The problem I am having is that when I put the transmission in reverse I have to play around with the gear shift lever to get the lights to stay on. I have already replaced the reverse light switch on the transmission but the same symptoms are present. My truck is a 2006 2500 CTD 6 speed manual big horn edition MFG date 07/05. I have not experience the tail light problem but I wanted to gain as much information as I could so when I take it in for service I have the ammunition needed to address this issue. I have posted these symptoms on Carson City Dodge forum, and was told that the dealer could fix this problem with a flash to increase the TIPM amperage. The explanation that was given since the circuits are not "fused" the impedance sent and received by the TIPM must meet certain criteria or the circuit will be "shut down". My obvious concern is as stated in other posts the limit of five resets before the whole TIPM must be replaced. This is plain stupid.

Thanks for any information that can be provided.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:20 PM

I'd like to find a box or someting for sale like anyfx made up. I don't know that I have the electrical aptitude to make it myself. Anybody know if something like this is for sale anywhere that I could just mount to my hitch or somewheres? I pull a 32 foot travel trailer. Got back from Disney and on the last leg of the trip, my truck started stalling before it warmed up, check engine light came on and P2509 code was thrown. It's in the shop right now and the dealer tells me I need a new module at $770 plus $200 in labor. The truck has 43k miles on it so they're telling me it's out of warranty. I just wonder if this is related? I haven't had any problems with my lights or signals as far as I know. The trailer is a 2005 so I would think the wiring should still be in good shape.
Old 12-09-2007, 04:49 PM

Or how about some instructions so I can build one myself? Anyone?
Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 AM

I have not ordered this yet, check out the link provided below, but it sounds like it will help with this MAJOR PROBLEM.... the catalog suggests using the seven pin heavy duty trailer socket but I am not sure it will isolate the reverse lights, which I am having problems with. I was told that they are also controlled by the TIPM and if they sense an over current the same issue with regard to having the dealer reset it will be required.

http://ecatalog.westmarine.com/full....kProdId=239679

Another option is to use a fuse block, see link below, use a 10 amp fuse to stay below the 15 amp threshold and wire in the socket and plug and use it in between the truck and trailer.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10001

I have not decided which one to go with maybe I will try both.
Old 12-10-2007, 12:40 PM

Angry

Got my truck back today for my problems. Mind you, I didn't have any problems with lights on my camper, see my previous posts. Mine started acting up right after we got back from camping at Disney (15 hour trip for us) I can only guess my stalling problem was related to hooking up the camper. I'm the shocked and the not proud owner of a new TIPM for the grand total of $1,024! Happy Festivus!!! I am not limping away quietly. I'm going to keep bugging Chrysler over this. More to come I'm sure. I'm going to build me a box like anyfx somehow, someway. This has really shook me to the core. I had a '97 Caravan and a '04 Hemi 1500 before this truck without any major issues such as this one. I'll be hestitant to own another Dodge unless they show me some love at Chrysler.