3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2006, 09:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring

Open the IPM (integrated power module/ fuse block) and you will find about 35 fuses and no relays. I have an '06 3500, my first diesel, first dodge so it didn't register that something, alot of somethings, was missing. I have a problem I'll talk about in a minute. I have since looked at my dad's dakota his IPM has at least 50 fuses and 10 relays. Ok here is the problem, shorted the trailer lights. I repaired there still no trailer lights all the truck lights are good. Sure check the fuses, Right? Herein lies the problem seems some brilliant team of engineers have come to the conclusion that those of us that actually use our tow package equipped trucks no longer need fuses between our trailers and the electronics of our trucks. So if you hook to a trailer with bad wiring, back your boat into the water, maybe even get into to much rain there goes your IPM (cost $309). Now of course the dealer doesn't want to warranty this because the trailer shorting caused it. I don't know if I'm asking to much, but I think a handful of $2 fuses and a place to stick them should be include in a truck that is designed for towing. If DC can't/won't fix this I will add my own fuse block to protect my truck, but again I shouldn't have to. This is just a warning to all current and future owners of the 2006 models. Other than this problem I have to say this is a beast of a truck. 2006 3500 4X4 QC Dually G56 Silver Big Horn.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:37 AM

keep looking, there are separate fuses for the trailer lights. I did the same thing hooking up a wet plug. I believe there are 3. unless I'm nuts. . I'll take a look and give the #s when I get a chance. I doubt they would of changed it from 03.
Old 01-30-2006, 06:33 AM

They must have changed between 05 and 06. Dealer can't find any other fuses, several mechanic friends and I have been all over this truck. Dealership wiring diagram shows 3 fuses in series , but can't find them. I just posted a pic of the fuse block so whenever admin okays it you will be able to see how bare this fuse block is.
Old 01-30-2006, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by anyfx
They must have changed between 05 and 06. Dealer can't find any other fuses, several mechanic friends and I have been all over this truck. Dealership wiring diagram shows 3 fuses in series , but can't find them. I just posted a pic of the fuse block so whenever admin okays it you will be able to see how bare this fuse block is.
There should be a fuse ,about 50 amps ,that fuses power to the trailer.I shorted my trailer plug and blew this fuse and no power to the trailer,but everything else worked ok. that was on an 03.they must have changed it in 06,but that makes no sense. This fuse on the 03 was under-hood next to the battery,on drivers side.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
On the dodge bodybuilder site they show two fuses in the '06 wiring diagrams. Parking Lamp feed (15) 20A and Backup Lamp feed (19) 30A. Two fuses are shown going to the electric brake module connector, main power (12) 30A and Stop lamp switch (26) 15A.

MikeyB
Old 01-30-2006, 10:15 AM

Not it MikeyB just got back from dealer, no output to trailer harness from IPM. DC knows there is something wrong as the tech has to call DC engineers before the part can even be released for order. Looks to me as if someone is back peddling. This really *%^*^^%% me off, a $40,000 1-ton dual rear wheel 13 MPG diesel burning cummuter vehicle sittin' in my driveway till some lame engineer decides to release the part I need to turn it back into a truck that will start earning its keep again. Dealer cannot say how long it will be for delivery,said they would list it as electrical- out of service.

Last edited by anyfx; 01-30-2006 at 10:24 AM. Reason: forgot signature
Old 01-30-2006, 07:13 PM

anyfx, Shoot me your vin number and I'll take a look for you as to when you can get that part. The part is not on restriction it is just recommended that the tech call an engineer so that dc can get a handle on why this part is failling. They have not seen enough of them yet and don't know why they are going bad. Also they do not want some tech just throwing a part at it so they want to make sure that it is being diagnosed correctley. Anyhow get me a vin and I'll get you a part number and I'll tell you where the part is stocked so that you can be armed when talking to your dealer. I do not like hearing these stories a s it makes all dealers look bad when in fact we are not all like this.

Travist
Old 01-30-2006, 09:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to http://www.hemitruckclub.com and looked at the 2006 manual.

It says in the 2006 manual there are relays. It also says (like MikeyB said) there are fuses for the trailer wiring.

My hunch is you still have a problem with the trailer somewhere or you haven't found the fuse(s) yet. Can you either connect to a trailer that works, get a good ground, or disconnect the trailer pigtail and test for voltage at the 7-pin connector on the truck?

What exactly doesn't work?
Old 02-01-2006, 12:51 PM

They just went through this on TDR. Yes it changed for 06. There no longer is a fuse 47 and 47 which were the trailer tow turnsignal wire fuses. they also don't have "user replacable relays" in the Power Module for the trailer turn signals. I plan to put in-line fuses on mine when I get it.
The body builders site has the 06 electrical drawings, yes they are different.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:43 PM

Thats got to the most stupid thing they could have done. And the big 3 wonder why there losing market share.
Old 02-01-2006, 11:09 PM

That's the whole purpose of this post, 2006 owners need to realize that their truck's IPM ($309.00 Plus labor) is NOT protected by fuses. DC needs to get rid of that whole team of engineers and executives that let something like this pass. Probably though each engineer will be heading his/her own department and the exec will be next president of North American operations.
2006 owners you must put some protection (FUSES) between your trailer and truck wiring. I also urge you to go discuss this with your dealer, hopefully if enough of us complain, they will come up with a fix and recall it before someone actually gets hurt or killed. I was lucky that I was running with a Chevy gasser behind me and caught it right away. PEOPLE THIS IS SERIOUS!!!!!
Site administrator can you post a warning that won't keep getting cycled down?????
Old 07-07-2006, 08:38 PM

Update on TIPM Problem

I had the same thing happen to me last week. No stop lights or trun signals on the trailer. Running lights, electric brake were fine. Using a light tester, we confirmed that there was no juice for the stop light or turn signals at the trailer electrical connector on the truck. A frantic search of this forum turned up this post by Anyfx. I knew at this point I was screwed.

We took the truck into the dealer Monday; they said they'd order a circuit board (TIPM). When we took it back in today, they did not replace the TIPM -- they just reset it per the advice of the tech hot-line. Apparently the TIPM had thrown an error code, and they cleared it. The tech also downloaded a new patch for the TIPM, which bumps the trailer light circuits up to 17.5 amps from 15. This is supposed to help the situation, although if you've got a dead short in your trailer, it's going to trip the TIPM on-board relays. If that doesn't reset by itself, you'll have to take it into the dealer for a reset. The good news is that they shouldn't need to replace the TIPM, so you won't have to wait on parts. The bad news is that dealer has to reset it -- you can't.

The tech told me that the breaker will trip on an overload, a short, or even a spike. So it might be a good idea not to plug in the trailer with your lights on.

I've got to agree with Anyfx that this is BS -- we shouldn't have to mess around with this. A couple of fused circuits would have been handy. We took Anyfx's advice and made a connector to plug in-line between the truck and trailer. Each of the 6 power lines are fused. If something happens now, I will be protected.

Thanks again to Anyfx for sharing this problem. His post sure saved me a lot of time!
Old 07-07-2006, 08:53 PM

Ronh

Man I envy your Signature!!!! What are you running on the SRT4???? I have had 2 at the 400+hp level, but the Viper BAD!!!!

I also had a problem with my trailer lights but I only blew a fuse. A 20 amp in the Underhood Fuse Box. I plugged in and the trailer had a short- - - -an hour later and gravel all over the back of the shirt it was fixed!
Old 07-08-2006, 12:04 AM

So inline 10 or 12.5 amp inline fuses should be safe? Is the TIPM code that has to be reset something that could be done with a programmer that will clear codes?
Old 07-08-2006, 12:47 AM

What are you guys doing to the wiring to cause this issue? Because I haven't been able to blow my module up yet, and I did my own wiring by splicing into the harness by the fuel tank.

Not trying to flame anyone, just want to know what to look for if something goes wrong.

........................Jim

Quick Reply: Warning 2006 Dodge Wiring