3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

thinking of trading trucks

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking of trading trucks

hello, first post here so bare with me. i have a 2wd qc dually .thinking i would like mega cab srw 3500 . i pull a 32ft tt has anyone pulled with both an if so is there going to be a differance .
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TT as in Travel trailer, right. if I heard correctly, you have to watch out for steering clearance w/ a TT due to the centerpoint of the hitch. maybe some others will chime in and bring it home..
Old 08-03-2007, 09:57 PM

IM DTR member " CD im NM" she has a mega she pulls all kinds of stuff with. She is also a dealer for a hitch that is recessed and allows Goosenecks and TT to be pulled with Megas.. She is an awesome resource and great Diesel mechanic!!
Old 08-04-2007, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by webbfoot
hello, first post here so bare with me. i have a 2wd qc dually .thinking i would like mega cab srw 3500 . i pull a 32ft tt has anyone pulled with both an if so is there going to be a differance .
I'm not sure what the discussion is about hitches as you are talking about a bumper pull travel trailer, not a fifth wheel right? I have a 34' TT that I pull with the truck in my signature. Previously I towed it with an '03 QC short box 2500. The difference in towing between the two trucks comes when you are fighting a crosswind. The old truck had me constantly waiting to correct the next wiggle caused by the big "sail" I was towing. The dually pulls it like it is on train tracks no matter what the wind condition. A mega cab will have a longer wheelbase than my QC had so it should be better handling a long trailer, but I doubt it will be as good as the dually.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:10 AM

1. Can you afford the financial hit?
2. Do you need the space of a Mega-Cab?
3. SRW will not have the stability of the DRW.
4. The Mega-Cab is heavier and will not have the same power (based on your mods) as your 2004.5.
5. If you ever go to a 5th wheel set-up, you are looking at a slider hitch instead of the regular that can be mounted in a long bed.

That's all I have for now. Good luck.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:35 AM
Banned

I tow the 36' TT with mine no troubles... It just barely missed the cab at full turn I wouldn't try pushing the envelope... Here is a pic of my unhooking it..
I just have a standard heese goose neck hitch and ball conversion...

Here's another goose neck pic

Old 08-04-2007, 03:01 PM

I have both a dually and a SRW that I tow with, both do an excellent job. My dually is an extended cab Ford with a gas 460. It is very stable with all of my GN's and bumper pulls. My SRW is in my sig, it also pulls all of my trailers, I have yet to see a major difference regarding stability in winds, etc. Where a dually becomes greater than a srw is more of a safety issue when pulling heavy loads. Blow a rear tire with a real heavy load and you still have reasonable braking power because of the remaining inflated tire.

The MegaCab IS a GREAT hauling rig. I have it set up with a PopUp GN and use the PopUp GN offsets on my trailers, plenty of cab clearance with them, can do a tight 90* with both the 9" on my tapered trailers and 16" offset on my full 8' wide box nose. I installed a PopUp conversion on my 5th wheel taking it to a GN ball. Again, it has the 9" offset and has no problems with tight turns and cab clearances. My bumper pull horse trailer is a full 8' wide 4-horse draft trailer, exceeds what most all the TT's are in weight with 4 Shires on board. It feels like nothing more than a regular 2-horse is behind me pulling with the MegaCab. Awesome pulling power on these trucks.

There ought to be someone in your vicinity that pulls something similar to what you have that could give you a test drive with a srw, or at least take you for a ride???

CD