3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

thinking of trading '04 for '07, advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thinking of trading '04 for '07, advice please

might or might not be posted in the right place, your call.

The overdrive housing in my '04 cracked last night and I think my transmission might be damaged internally. Spraying fluid all over, no 1st gear. I had my trans built by the dealer (mistake) and it has never been right, leaked since day one. If they won't fix it under warranty I'm thinking of trading. Been thinking about it for a while. Sucks because I love the truck other than the neverending leaks, and take pride in having done 99% of the customization myself. I feel like, for what? *edit transmission warranty is void courtesy of Chrysler rep.

If I could find someone who wanted most or all of my goodies it would probably influence my decision... leveling kit, wheels/tires, etc. Will my Tough County front end replacement fit an '07 with the different grille? If it's off by an inch no big deal. I assume the rear bumper mounting is unchanged. Hate to get rid those.

I know the '07s are having emissions related issues, worth the risk? Ford and GM aren't an option. I owe 26K, truck is worth 20-22K but I know I'll likely get less than that on trade. Had some real nasty negative equity before this truck but I have paid all that off, might actually be able to get into a $100 a month lower payment. Talk to me guys!
Old 10-02-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
The new 6 speed auto is impressive to drive, but the reports of bad mileage and problems...

Tough call.

If you do trade, I think I'd either put a bunch of cash down, or pay more than what you are now per month. It would be nice to never owe more than the rig is worth during the life of the loan...
Old 10-02-2007, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff in TD
The new 6 speed auto is impressive to drive, but the reports of bad mileage and problems...

Tough call.

If you do trade, I think I'd either put a bunch of cash down, or pay more than what you are now per month. It would be nice to never owe more than the rig is worth during the life of the loan...
how's the 6 speed manual?

debt is less of an issue than a truck that is sitting there with a gallon of transmission fluid on the ground.

wonder if DTT will give me some sort of credit for the parts I already bought if I buy a complete transmission.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:05 PM

I think I would invest in a built tranny and improve on the '04. I like the new ones but with all the more emmissions and junk in the engine compartment I going to stick with my '03's for many years and just try to improve on what I have. Just MHO. Besides that, look at all the stuff you've already done and will want to do again costing even more.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:14 PM

I would personnally stay with the '04 and have the transmission built. I would not trust the 6.7 emissions yet - too soon. Aftermarket will be expensive.

However, if you decide to make the switch - why wouldn't your tires and leveling kit fit the '07?? Isn't it pretty much the same front end components? Not sure about the front bumper, as that is a different design, I think that would look bad or not fit at all.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Truckman0097
I would personnally stay with the '04 and have the transmission built. I would not trust the 6.7 emissions yet - too soon. Aftermarket will be expensive.

However, if you decide to make the switch - why wouldn't your tires and leveling kit fit the '07?? Isn't it pretty much the same front end components? Not sure about the front bumper, as that is a different design, I think that would look bad or not fit at all.
sorta delusional, I was looking at DRW trucks, found a nice SRW truck, should all bolt in except for maybe the front bumper. aftermarket got me in this situation in the first place.

look at this pic real close:

http://www.toughcountry.com/customer/P1010192.JPG

the bumper sort of obscures the bottom of the grille, like I said, an inch wouldn't matter as long as the mounting brackets are the same. the frame didn't change afaik.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hovisimo
...wonder if DTT will give me some sort of credit for the parts I already bought if I buy a complete transmission.
DTT installer who rebuilds rather than just installs a fully built DTT should give you credit for what he doesn't need to replace. Mine did!

Check Tim in Virginia Beach... would be my recommendation, and stay with the 04!

RJ
Old 10-02-2007, 01:48 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Have the tranny rebuilt. It will cost you less in the long run by a longshot. Or order a complete unit from Georend/DTT and send them yours for your core.
Old 10-02-2007, 01:51 PM

sorta delusional, I was looking at DRW trucks, found a nice SRW truck, should all bolt in except for maybe the front bumper. aftermarket got me in this situation in the first place.

look at this pic real close:

http://www.toughcountry.com/customer/P1010192.JPG

the bumper sort of obscures the bottom of the grille, like I said, an inch wouldn't matter as long as the mounting brackets are the same. the frame didn't change afaik.

What year is the truck in the pic? Looks (by badging) like an 06? Either way 06/07 have different headlights than the 03-05 trucks... that is why I don't think the bumper would fit or if it does fit, dont think it would look good with the gaps there. As far as the mounts, i am not sure - should be the same, although I don't know if it was changed with the motor change - I have an 07 5.9l and the mounts are the same as far as I know.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
how's the 6 speed manual?
From what I've seen and read, the new manual shifts well and has been reliable. The OD could be taller for empty highway cruising, but other than that you don't hear many complaints.

If you decided to get a new stick shift, then (personally) I'd be looking for a 5.9 for better MPG...

Really, I think I agree with these guys... That in the long run you will be better off fixing the transmission and running what you got.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:41 PM

might or might not be posted in the right place, your call.

The overdrive housing in my '04 cracked last night and I think my transmission might be damaged internally. Spraying fluid all over, no 1st gear. I had my trans built by the dealer (mistake) and it has never been right, leaked since day one. If they won't fix it under warranty I'm thinking of trading. Been thinking about it for a while. Sucks because I love the truck other than the neverending leaks, and take pride in having done 99% of the customization myself. I feel like, for what? *edit transmission warranty is void courtesy of Chrysler rep.

If I could find someone who wanted most or all of my goodies it would probably influence my decision... leveling kit, wheels/tires, etc. Will my Tough County front end replacement fit an '07 with the different grille? If it's off by an inch no big deal. I assume the rear bumper mounting is unchanged. Hate to get rid those.

I know the '07s are having emissions related issues, worth the risk? Ford and GM aren't an option. I owe 26K, truck is worth 20-22K but I know I'll likely get less than that on trade. Had some real nasty negative equity before this truck but I have paid all that off, might actually be able to get into a $100 a month lower payment. Talk to me guys!

what wheels do you have? any pics
Old 10-02-2007, 05:04 PM

I traded my 03 for my 07 5.9. I really like this truck and it makes so much more power than the 03 did. The 07s can be very touchy when it comes to mods though....
Old 10-02-2007, 05:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd stick to the 04. I know I am...
Old 10-02-2007, 05:52 PM

Drove an '07 tonight. Power is unreal. Unless the numbers don't work out I'll probably "jump ship"

Taking the truck to a fab shop tomorrow to have them weld the crack so I can at least make it to the dealership with some fluid in the trans.
Old 10-02-2007, 09:16 PM

Wait for the 09's

Quick Reply: thinking of trading '04 for '07, advice please