3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

still rubs after spacers

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still rubs after spacers

Before

After

Got my 2.5" Daystar Coil Spring Spacers and Procomp es9000 shocks installed the other day. My tires still rub. Just a little right before full lock. how ever now instead of rubbing up against the plastic liner inside the wheel well they graze the metal of the fender on the lower right corner.

This is really dissapointing. The rims are 17x9 with 4.5" back spacing so they are stickig out alot further and that is my problem. They look freaking awesome though in person. I love that wider tire look.

What should I do besides change my rims and tires? I just spent an **** load on those.

I have heard the suggestion fiberglass off road fenders but that they would be expensive.

Thought about using a rubber mallet to smash that part of the fender back a bit.

What about cutting the bottom of the fender off at that indention? If I did what is behind it and that plastic cover? Would I expose anything I shouldn't?

Old 03-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Soot For Brains!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hmm. kinda in a pickle here i was thinking you had a 4wd and id say to go with a longer control arm but..
Old 03-03-2010, 05:30 PM

I am not much of a DIY auto guy. I am enjoying learning more lately though. Can you please explain how those will help? Thanks
Old 03-04-2010, 09:49 PM

It's called the pinch well mod... very common and easy fix if you are just barley rubbing the outer fender near the firewall.

Normally one uses a bat or something smooth and round. Place bat between tire and fender. Have some turn the steering wheel until the bat us up against fender. Slowly turn your steering wheel back and forth while moving bat up & down fender. Don't turn too much into the bat at one time... take it easy and slow.

This will bend back your fender inwards just the amount you need.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:34 AM

Ah nice thank you!
That sounds familiar I remember reading about that in Truckin magazine MANY years ago when I was a teenager.

How many people just drive with tires that rub a little at full lock. How horrible is it?
Old 03-07-2010, 06:47 AM

I was able to park on a nice level concrete driveway today and craw around under the front end checking stuff out. It looks like that pinch weld is definitely the spot and actually the front aridam is catching the tire too. It is startig to crack and pull back more into the way. That will come off today. Removing that should hopefully make the truck appear a little taller too.
Old 03-08-2010, 05:50 AM

The airdam helps with airflow, I would leave it. Just trim it where it hits. Your problem is related to backspacing. If you are going to run them, you have to do some fender pounding. My opinion is to take it to a body shop and see if they can help you. I did my own surgery on a '90 Chevy and it looked ok, but wish I would have got professional help. It will be cheaper than having someone fix a screwup.

Last edited by 05HDRAM; 03-08-2010 at 05:50 AM. Reason: sp
Old 03-15-2010, 05:09 PM

I gently pushed that pinch weld in a bit with a bat and both sides and trimmed about 1.5" off the airdam on the side it was catching. It has not been rubbing since. It is such a relief!! I feel way better about my investment now.

Also finally got my exhaust installed today at Roy's Muffler shop in Greenville. That was a very positive experience. I am really happy about the new exhaust sound. It is mellow at cruising speed but a BEAST when accelerating hard. I plan to waste a lot of extra gas this week listening to it growl.