Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Wondering if the Old slide-in I bought cheap still a good deal still???

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 02:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wondering if the Old slide-in I bought cheap still a good deal still???

Well, I got my Lance Truck camper (1983 model) and have been working on it - trying to get everything camping ready. So far - a lot of learn by experience. For instance, you need to use a pressure regulator between the city water and the camper or you could split a pipe with the increased pressure.

IF you split a pipe, there is no doubt that replacing the busted part will not be easy - so be prepared to be creative with the repair. Still have to check the water heater to see if it is functional. But need to finish up with the propane system first....

Also, before you change the valves to the gray and black holding tanks, make sure you've COMPLETELY emptied both and rinsed them well...

The refrigerator does not work with 110v (i am getting power - just doesn't cool) - and propane unknown yet but doubt it. So, I am considering going with a 110v compressor driven dorm model instead of replacing the RV Dometic RM660 that is in there. But I want to run the refrigerator when I am driving by way of an inverter (camper has no batteries) off the trucks alternator. Does anyone have any experience in setting something like this up? I figure a 1000 or 1500 watt inverter and a dorm refrigerator is less expensive and I won't have to worry about being 100% level when it is run either.
Old 08-05-2011, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The inverter would work, but what if you camp where there is not power? You would also want to have an isolator so it did not kill the truck battery. The propane refrigerators work very well when they work. Mine is colder on propane than when plugged in. The 12 volt part of it sucks. 3 way fridge
Old 08-05-2011, 05:06 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think most 3 way RV fridges suck on 12V. They will kill your battery nice and quickly too. The way I use my 3 way is - 12V while driving (need a really long ext cord to use 110V and leaving propane on while towing is a no no for a reason), 110v when parked if I have shore power and propane whenever I am not driving and don't have shore power. These thing definitely seem to be coldest on propane.
Old 08-05-2011, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
I think most 3 way RV fridges suck on 12V. They will kill your battery nice and quickly too. The way I use my 3 way is - 12V while driving (need a really long ext cord to use V and leaving propane on while towing is a no no for a reason), V when parked if I have shore power and propane whenever I am not driving and don't have shore power. These thing definitely seem to be coldest on propane.

I have had many campers and motor homes, the one I have now it the first one that has 12 volt. So I always have had the propane fridge on when towing, Works fine. The little flame is in a metal box behind the fridge. There was a sticker in one that said to turn it off when re-fueling, that make sense.
Why would you not drive using propane for the fridge?
Old 08-05-2011, 05:31 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't leave the propane on when I am towing in case of an accident. If something were to happen, I don't want there to be a possibility of a propane leak. Maybe I am a little neurotic, but I always turn the tanks off when towing. As soon as I am off the road, they can come back on. We seem to have a lot of trailer accidents up here. Things like the trailer blowing over on the highway in high wind (I am not making that up) and it seems to me things could go from pretty bad to really bad if you throw a propane leak into a wreck. Like I said, I might be over-worrying, that is just why I won't tow with the propane tanks turned on. Each to their own though.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Talking

I don't leave the propane on when I am towing in case of an accident. If something were to happen, I don't want there to be a possibility of a propane leak. Maybe I am a little neurotic, but I always turn the tanks off when towing. As soon as I am off the road, they can come back on. We seem to have a lot of trailer accidents up here. Things like the trailer blowing over on the highway in high wind (I am not making that up) and it seems to me things could go from pretty bad to really bad if you throw a propane leak into a wreck. Like I said, I might be over-worrying, that is just why I won't tow with the propane tanks turned on. Each to their own though.

Just wondering if I was missing the boat or something?
Old 08-05-2011, 06:18 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I learned too to use a good thick power cord for shore power. The lady ranger at my campsite advised this after my fridge wasn't cooperating.
Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
I have not seen a 3 way fridge in anything new in many years, I don't think they still make them. All new RV's that I have seen only come with 110v AC and propane, as it's not practical to leave the fridge off the manufacturers must EXPECT you to run the propane when traveling.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
I think most 3 way RV fridges suck on 12V. They will kill your battery nice and quickly too. The way I use my 3 way is - 12V while driving (need a really long ext cord to use 110V and leaving propane on while towing is a no no for a reason), 110v when parked if I have shore power and propane whenever I am not driving and don't have shore power. These thing definitely seem to be coldest on propane.
my fridge works on propane while i'm driving and has done for 13 years with no problems........it does not have a 12 volt option.........110 or propane
Old 08-06-2011, 12:30 PM

Mine runs great on propane or 110V. 12V...not so much. Once the fridge and freezer are cold, 12V will keep it cold for 2 hours or so.

I don't like the idea of running on propane while underway.

Tony
Old 08-06-2011, 12:59 PM

Talking

OK I can not resist putting this out there....
I have a 77 Ford that runs on Propane only, so if I pulled the camper with that the propane would be on anyway. Just say-en.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:04 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I've always just run my 3 way fridges on propane. I run it while I'm driving too. Not really worried about.

Some of my fridges worked on electricity(110V or 12v), some didn't but I never really cared as long as it worked on propane. Turn it on when I pick it up from storage and leave it on till the last item of food comes out at the end of the weekend.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
zookeeper, where you at in STL? i'm in jeffco. let me know if ever need some help

the pressure regulator is a must when using any water connection for just the reasons you found out about. the fridges can be tough to get going. my old trailer i thought didn't work on 110V. however, i found out that i just needed to turn it up colder to keep temp satisfactory.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Well, I got the propane hooked up over the weekend - stove works (oven - no but how many people use their oven?) and the heater works. Water heater does not but may just be the burner. Looks like the refrigerator doesn't work with propane either. Won't even try the 12 volt.

Water has still been problematic. I got a pressure regulator and fixed the faucet. Found another leak under the sink on the water line going to the hot water heater. But progress is being made.

My question to running it on propane would be simple, doesn't it blow out with the wind from going 55 - 65 down the road? I would have no problem driving with it going if I felt confident it would stay lit. I figure if you had an accident, the possibility of a propane leak through a busted line or valve is the same whether you were keeping your food cold or not.

@Wild4kst8 - I am just east - in St Clair County IL and will probably look locally to see if one of the RV places work on or rebuild the refrigerator - otherwise I'll probably have to buy new or refurbished. I do like the idea of it working without electricity. If you've had good luck with one of the RV service departments around St Louis, let me know.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Talking

"My question to running it on propane would be simple, doesn't it blow out with the wind from going 55 - 65 down the road?[/QUOTE]

Never had one blow out, it is in a metal box under the fridge.

Quick Reply: Wondering if the Old slide-in I bought cheap still a good deal still???