Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Wondering if the Old slide-in I bought cheap still a good deal still???

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by zookeeper
Well, I got the propane hooked up over the weekend - stove works (oven - no but how many people use their oven?) and the heater works. Water heater does not but may just be the burner. Looks like the refrigerator doesn't work with propane either. Won't even try the 12 volt.

Water has still been problematic. I got a pressure regulator and fixed the faucet. Found another leak under the sink on the water line going to the hot water heater. But progress is being made.

My question to running it on propane would be simple, doesn't it blow out with the wind from going 55 - 65 down the road? I would have no problem driving with it going if I felt confident it would stay lit. I figure if you had an accident, the possibility of a propane leak through a busted line or valve is the same whether you were keeping your food cold or not.

@Wild4kst8 - I am just east - in St Clair County IL and will probably look locally to see if one of the RV places work on or rebuild the refrigerator - otherwise I'll probably have to buy new or refurbished. I do like the idea of it working without electricity. If you've had good luck with one of the RV service departments around St Louis, let me know.

Not familiar with anyone on the Eastside for RV work. I'm close to Byerly & Midwest RV (also owns Apache Village in Florisant). I generally will shop both. My grandparents have used Apache without many complaints. There is one guy @ Byerly I try to talk to. He was very helpful on my old '82 Layton that needed help. Double & 3x check the cleanliness of the gas lines for spiders love to make nests & clog them up. Are the pilots manual or automatic igniting. Same goes for any electrical issues to check the connections for they can vibrate loose in transit. I have also seen refrig. on CL that could be worth checking into.

I have never had experience with pilot going out while traveling down the hwy.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Just FYI a spider web in the burner will keep the fridg or hot water heater from working. So if it has been setting for a long time, could be an easy fix.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I used to always drive with the propane on and the fridge running cold and never had the flame go out. Lately I've been traveling with the fridge on 12v and switching to propane or 110 on arrival.

Funny thing, we were camping at Diamond lake earlier this season and the wind was blowing across the lake into our campsite. The wind kept blowing out the fridge pilot! I had to reposition the rig to get the vent for the fridge out of the wind.