slow fuel guage movement after refueling - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck Resource Forums

3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

slow fuel guage movement after refueling

Old 03-18-2004, 08:15 PM   #1  

slow fuel guage movement after refueling

My fuel guage is very slow to move back to the full position after refueling. Probabally about 45-60 seconds to return to the full mark after starting engine. There is a TSB 18-043-03 that covers slow fuel guage response but includes also poor A/C performance on california trucks and a dignostic trouble code. The TSB fix requires a reflash but I am leary of reflashing my ECM for fear of what the 6.0 powerstroke owners have experienced. Their flash fixed one area but hurt another area.

So owners, how quick does your fuel guage respond?
md11jetdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:17 PM   #2  

Mine takes about the same. Because my overhead computer readout is so close to being correct, I will not make a change in it. No big deal.
papaduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 09:22 PM   #3  

I wouldn't worry about the reflash. If memory serves it's to the instrument panel only. Even if it's the ECM, Cummins hasn't had the issues that Ford has had.

Cummins/Dodge - fixing a few minor bugs.
Ford - Trying to get some of the big things right.
stevenknapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 11:44 PM   #4  
Chapter President

I noticed this on the very first fill up, don't bother me enough to let those geeks reflash mine. This thing runs great!
Tfeore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2004, 04:39 AM   #5  

Thanks guys. Just wanted to see what the other Cummins folks were experiencing. Since your trucks behave the same way, this must be normal and definately its not a problem so I'll leave well enough alone and not let the dealer mess with it.
Old 03-20-2004, 07:13 PM   #6  

Jetdriver,

My gauge seems to move right over, slow, but not 45s, maybe 8s. I checked it on the first fillup today after reading your post. You Fedex? I was Atlas, but not no more.
BigRedFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2004, 10:22 PM   #7  

Jim:

Congrats on the new addition. You'll love it! My truck continues to impress and its just a '03 SO. Regarding your question, I am at the Big "D", no longer steering them thru the skies though.
Old 03-20-2004, 10:35 PM   #8  

Thanks Jet,

It really is a nice truck, I'll tow a trailer from here (OKC) back to SEA in two weeks and can't wait to put it through the paces. I have some good friends at the DL CMO - they're good guys and will treat the big D well.

Rgds,

Jim
BigRedFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 08:30 AM   #9  

My sending unit had to be replaced after first trip with truck. Truck was running great, but the gas gage would only move if I shut the truck down. We were taking our trailer from Colorado to LA for the holidays. Dodge dealer knew exactly what the problem was and gladly replaced the unit. Was not much fun driving across the desert with no gage. Doodge said they have had a few problems with 03 sending units. You might want to get it checked out. Otherwise, I love my truck!
Mike Porter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 12:05 PM   #10  

had sending unit replaced 3 times still sticks sometimes,seems to stick more so when I have a 1/4 tank left.
northerncanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 01:10 PM   #11  

Personally, I'd leave it alone. Mine is also slow, but it works just fine.
mymaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2004, 03:30 PM   #12  
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

I checked on that one with the dealer - - he said it did not apply to mine and it is one of the first 03's off the line. Gauge is very accurate, but a little slow. Nice part is the damping action keeps it from flopping all around on rough ground.
FiverBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2004, 06:08 AM   #13  

I agree with the accuracy and great damping action. The guage does not slosh around like the one in my expedition. I'll keep an eye out for any indications of sticking though.