3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Sliding Rear Window & Defroster

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sliding Rear Window & Defroster

May get a new truck that does not have a rear window defroster or a sliding rear window - how convinient is this to have these things on a quad cab? How expensive would it be to add?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:12 PM

I have a 2004 3500 also without a rear defroster.
I'm also looking in to having the rear glass changed out with a new one with the defroster.
From what I under stand is everything is there for the defroster.
I have the heated side mirrors. I noticed a place for a relay for the defroster. Need to get some prices on replacing the rear glass.
Old 08-14-2004, 12:01 AM

When I ordered the Ghost Rider, I ordered the defroster instead of the slider. It is too hard for me to get at the slider, so I would never use it. I got the defroster with the thought of getting a 5er in the future and I would need it then.
Old 08-14-2004, 07:46 AM

Mark FYI,

An interesting thing with the rear-slide window. If you have it open and there is any debris in the bed, such as sand, grass, leaves etc. a swirl of air is created that causes the debris to be blown up to the dashboard. Because of that, I never have it open.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:31 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
I have lived in really cold climates and so far have never seen the need for a defroster on the rear window of any pickup. A car, yes, due to the slope of the glass. At the most I may have had the need for a rear defroster on a pickup about twice. That was to remove blowing snow when I was too lazy to wipe it off.
Old 08-14-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally posted by murray
Mark FYI,
An interesting thing with the rear-slide window. If you have it open and there is any debris in the bed, such as sand, grass, leaves etc. a swirl of air is created that causes the debris to be blown up to the dashboard. Because of that, I never have it open.
Agreed! My '85 Ram has the sliding rear window. Until the AC compressor went out I learned not to open it because it blows trash inside the cab and into the eyes. The only time we open it now is when we're comforting the dog on the way to the vet.
Nat
Old 08-14-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My previous trucks, I had the slider. Used it maybe about 10 times, just to use it. New truck, didn't even think about it, when your driving, aint no way your opening it, unless you have someone in the truck to do it. If you really want one and can't live without it, get an electric slider.
Old 08-14-2004, 10:54 AM

If I could have had the choise I would have gone with the Rear Window Defogger. Yes I have used the slider once on this truck and twice on my previous truck. Here in Oregon the humidity is more of a problem and a defogger is an better option. The rear slidder is useless in a Quad Cab because I can't open or close it. Now if the install the electric one then maybe, but then they could make it electric and still have the defogger installed
Old 08-14-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally posted by Mexstan
I have lived in really cold climates and so far have never seen the need for a defroster on the rear window of any pickup. A car, yes, due to the slope of the glass. At the most I may have had the need for a rear defroster on a pickup about twice. That was to remove blowing snow when I was too lazy to wipe it off.
Sorry, I don't agree. I live in North Idaho and in the winter all, including side and rear windows frost up. I have to use a scrapper on them. Just my experience.