3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Driver's door rattle

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Driver's door rattle

My truck has developed a pretty irritating rattle in the driver's door. I can't really tell if it's the window or something else rattling. It rattles whenever there's drivetrain vibration (going thru 2k rpm on acceleration thru the gears and at the infamous 70-75mph).

Is this something I can easily fix myself or should I venture into the dealer?

Thanks,
Neil
Old 08-11-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been experiencing the same rattle , is yours more pronounced with the beats of the radio? when I find a spare moment I'll be pulling that door off to investigate. When I do I'll post my findings
Old 08-11-2004, 02:15 PM

Try this, just "bump" the switch for the power window down, not far enough for wind noise, but it will likely stop the rattle. seems when the window is all the way up, it pushes on the weatherstrip, and makes it rattle

Don't ask, but I saw it here, and it works.

Dennis
Old 08-11-2004, 05:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DFD536,

Try this, just "bump" the switch for the power window down, not far enough for wind noise
I'll give it a try.

BAD DSL

Let me know what you find out and how hard it is to get the door panel off. I'm tempted to upgrade my speakers. This may just be the motivation I needed.

Thanks,
Neil
Old 08-11-2004, 06:50 PM

Radio Rattle

Bad DSL

I have the radio rattle too! It is in the drivers door. It really ticks me off! Other than that the truck is rattle free so it is really not that bad. But I want to fix the problem. Been thinking about taking it to the dealer but I hate thinking of them tearing the whole door apart. May cause more rattles!

Hope someone comes up with a quick fix.
Old 08-11-2004, 08:12 PM

I've got the radio rattle, and I've found that if I put my fingers on the window controls the rattle stops. That makes me think that the wires for the controls are what's causing the vibration, or the switches are loose and causing it.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:53 PM
Chapter President

I had a rattle where the rubber meets the window right behind the plastic where the inside bolts to the mirror are.

If you stick your fingers into the into that area and create pressure b/w the windo and the rubber the rattle stops.

If the you bump the window down 1or2 millimeters the rattle stops.

I fixed this by loosening the bolts to the window(not taking them all the way off) you'll notice a rubbery little gasket on the outside portion of the mirror housing. The gasket isn't thick enough to create a good seal to keep out wind and rattle. I left the seal in but beefed it up by stuffing some 1/2 inch window weather stripping in there and bolted it all back up. Problem solved no wind or rattle for 2 weeks so far.

PS I didn't remove the door panel (didn't know how) but gently bent the plastic back enough to get to the mirror bolts. . . wasn't easy but paitence is a virtue.

PM me for further details

Jamie
Old 08-14-2004, 06:13 PM

I popped the window, door lock control pad off and stuffed insulation in there with a stick to push it all over then used my hands, no rattle any more!