3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

powersteering heavy

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
powersteering heavy

I had a leaking powersteeringpump several weeks ago,also it was also making funny noises ,like when you turn the wheel to lock ,anyway the truck have 85K now ,so I ordered a new pump ,have the pump installed ,no more leaking oil ,BUT ... the wheel turns heavy ,when the truck is not moving its impossible to turn the wheel,when the truck is going slow it seems to be normal,and when driving I can,t feel any difference.
Would it been possible that the pressure valve opens to early ?
When I set the truck in neutral ,and rev the engine a little ,it makes no difference,still not possible to turn the wheels .

I am thinking to have a look at this pump and see if I can adjust the valve ,have any of you guys done this before ?

Or do I have to look at the steering box ?

Thanks A.J
Old 10-18-2009, 07:26 PM

Is the fluid at the proper level in the reservoir? That's what I'd check first. What size tires do you have? Anything above stock size will put one h@ll of a strain on the pumps on our trucks. A lot of times if they're too big then the wheels won't even turn.
Old 10-19-2009, 12:30 AM

The fluid is at the right level,and I run the stock wheels and tyres ,it al changes after the new power steering pump .
Old 10-19-2009, 11:17 AM

Hmm, did you get this done at the dealer? or another kind of shop that will warranty the work?
Old 10-19-2009, 11:34 AM

Not really ,a friend changed the pump ,could have done nothing wrong I think ???
Just one pump off new pump on ,he is a car mechanic for 10 years ,did all the mods on my truck,could it been possible that the pressure that the new pump generates is less than the old one ?
Old 10-19-2009, 07:20 PM

It's possible I guess, but either way something is obviously up if your steering is heavy all of a sudden. None of the hoses are bound up or nothing are they?
Old 10-19-2009, 08:04 PM

Sounds like the pump is not getting enough fluid. Check carefully the supply hose for kinks and secure clamps
Old 10-19-2009, 10:38 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
no supply hose to leak on a 3rd gen. the reservoir plugs into the pump with an 0-ring on the tank snout.

I have had the same kind of problems with an 05. I went through several rebuilt steering gears, and two pumps. Hopefully the problem is solved.

When the steering got impossible to deal with, the o-ring on the assist servo in the box was gone, parts of the teflon backing rings were wedged into the o ring, allowing fluid to bypass. therefore it would not shuttle, and the power steering was in effect working against itself. Does great at keeping the steering centered though.

The original gear on the truck lasted a little less than 110,000 km. In the next 9k, I went through all the rebuilt boxes and the two pumps.

I finally bought a box from Redhead Steering Gear in washington. Harvey is a great guy to deal with, and knows his stuff about troubleshooting and rebuilding steering gears. the box from Harvey was the same price as a rebuild from NAPA, but far higher quality. You can feel the differences just turning the shafts by hand. Much smoother all around feel to them.

back to your problem. If your steering is heavy at idle, yet better when rpm is above say 1200, then your pump is getting weak. If it is heavy all the time, or doesn't want to steer / feels like manual steering, then it could be the steering gear.

Good luck with your steering, this one has been a nightmare.