3rd Gen Engine and Drivetrain -> 2003-2007 5.9 liter Engine and drivetrain discussion only. PLEASE, NO HIGH PERFORMANCE DISCUSSION!

Heavy Duty or not Heavy Duty? (LP/IP)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2005, 12:54 PM
FMB

Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Heavy Duty or not Heavy Duty? (LP/IP)

I've been watching the threads the past few months pertaining to Lift Pumps and Injector Pumps. I don't have a FP gauge installed as yet and I have ~72 thousand miles so far. Power isn't what it used to be, but I can still haul a 5th wheel up the hill... just takes longer.

If the LP is shot, or going, the IP is soon to follow as far as I can surmise from the posts here. Two questions come up.

First, if the LP is shot, how long till the IP goes out? Depends on driving habits? I drive <40 miles to work, mostly freeway, a couple of good grades, same on the way home. I tow ~7500# once a month or so.

Second question is a bit more involved. If I take a dead CTD to the dealer and they find the LP and IP dead, which is warranteed? Here is why I ask...

In the Warranty book, under Fed Emission Warranty - Heavy Duty Truck, it states a Heavy Duty (HD) truck has a rating of 10,000lbs GVW and an M in the 4th position of the Truck ID number (VIN I assume?) or a 5, 6, 7 or W in the 8th position. Mine has neither. My Window Sticker (saved it) states that this truck is a Heavy Duty truck. What's up with that? Is it a HD or not?

Under Fed Emission Warrantee, the "electronic fuel injection system" is covered to 5 years/100,000 miles. What defines the system? Is it from fuel cap to injector or from IP to injector?

What is covered under CA Emission Warranty if this truck was originally sold in OR (CA sold no HO CTD's in '03) then purchased used in CA.

In the DC 7/100 Warranty, the IP and Injectors are covered, but it doesn't seem to include the LP.

So, now a third question. If my CTD dies, and I tow it home and replace the LP myself, then tow it to the dealer, will they cover the dead IP?

Thanks in advance to all you who got this far and respond.
Old 09-05-2005, 01:44 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Take it to the dealer.
The LP will be covered same as the VP44. If it were me, I would never make the first tow (home) just take it before it dies, or tow it straight to the dealer when it does.