3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Nozzle didn't shut off!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2006, 11:16 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Nozzle didn't shut off!

Luckily I wasn't standing close to it at the time, but ended up stinking of diesel fuel anyway from trying to clean the side of my truck. Of course I was on my way to a dinner party when this happened. Apparently not everyone loves the smell of diesel fuel in the afternoon! It's amazing how long the stuff lingers. Anyway, here's the question. This was the first time I fueled up since adding a five foot length of hose to each of the vents on top of the fuel tank. Could that have caused the nozzle to not shut off? I have always used the same pump at the same station and this has never happened before. Also, I checked the hoses and they are not kinked or otherwise blocked. Anyone else with long vent hoses ever experience this?
Old 03-20-2006, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I extended my evap vents to a filter mounted up near the fuel filler, i haven't experienced any problems with shut off. I think the likely problem is with the actual fuel stations pumps as I believe it is a functionof the nozzle itself and really doesn't have much to do with the truck other than when fuel rises high enough in the filler neck it activates the shut off on the nozzle.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by CRXsi
I extended my evap vents to a filter mounted up near the fuel filler, i haven't experienced any problems with shut off. I think the likely problem is with the actual fuel stations pumps as I believe it is a functionof the nozzle itself and really doesn't have much to do with the truck other than when fuel rises high enough in the filler neck it activates the shut off on the nozzle.
So is that like the tank vent mod? Did you have to drop the tank to do this? I'm starting to get sick of dribbling fuel in for 15 minutes to top it off! I just don't want to have to drop the tank...

Tony
Old 03-20-2006, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by TPilaske
So is that like the tank vent mod? Did you have to drop the tank to do this? I'm starting to get sick of dribbling fuel in for 15 minutes to top it off! I just don't want to have to drop the tank...

Tony

dido what he said
Old 03-20-2006, 02:00 PM

No it is different than the tank vent mod....The vents in question are a major problem that Dodge has created. the problem is that the fuel tanks in our trucks are for gas trucks as well. Gas trucks have emmisions standards that require all fuel vapour to remained contained...even when filling. There are 2 emmisions valves on top of our tanks that are vented to atmosphere (sinsce there are no emissions components on our trucks like on gassers). They also sit in a valley of sorts and if water, dirt, mud, etc collects there it will eventually be sucked into the tank. My fix was to install 2 lengths of 3/8" fuel rated hose onto each nipple and then into a 'T' fitting which I then ran one length up to the fuel filler are and attached to a cheap fuel filter to that any air drawn in is filtered and it should be above any water lines the truck will be driven through. There are some pics in my gallery of when I first discovered this problem that have since been modified with the filter set-up.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:16 PM

I've had the tank vent mod sitting in my garage for a couple of months now. When I tried to run the fuel out of the truck it started running really crappy so I filled up and changed the filter and all was well. I haven't tried to run it down again...
Old 03-20-2006, 02:35 PM

To fix the open evap vents you do not need to remove the fuel tank, you can just reach up ontop of the fuel tank from both the front and the rear to install the extra fuel hose and a filter.