3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Looking for SUB Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for SUB Advice

I'm putting a subwoofer in the center console of my 2006 QC RAM. Planning on using a Supercrewsounds center console sub box (.95 cu/ft) unless somebody has a better idea. I need the fold-flat floor, so under the back seats isn't an option. I looked at the JL Stealthbox, but a 13" woofer sounds like more bump than I want. I like to ROCK loud and clean, but I don't want the bass to overwhelm the rest of my system.

Goal for the sub and system is great sound quality, could care less about SPL. Amp I'm looking at is an Alpine PDX 1.600 (mono channel-600 RMS). Looking at JL 10W6V2 or Alpine Type "R" subwoofers, but hoping for some other suggestions of subs to look for and listen to- 10" or 12"? Seems like the single 10's I hear are tighter?

My system is Alpine W-505 HU, Focal KF 6.5 components in the doors, driven by an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp. Stock rear door speakers are faded off the deck to about 10%, may just disconnect them as they aren't adding any SQ anyway. I do have the 2 open amp channels, is there anything I can put in the stock locations in the dash that will add to my system?

Again, looking for great sound quality and willing to spend a reasonable amount of money to get it.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:38 PM

Not to jack your thread but I wouldnt mind adding a sub behind my back seats if possible. Anyone know if you could pack a 10 or 2 behind the seats of a Quadcab? Nothing fancy, just something that make s a little noise.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:32 PM

I've got this one; Infinity Perfect series. Very tight, articulate sub-bass. I'm an audiophile and can't stand one-note bass.
http://www.woofersetc.com/p2926/KAPP...subwoofers.htm

Also consider the IDQ's. They're very musical as well.

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5806/IDQ1...-Subwoofer.htm

If you do the JL, step up to these...

http://www.woofersetc.com/p5202/10W3...-Subwoofer.htm
Old 10-02-2009, 11:26 AM

i was running a jl 10w3 v2 for a while under the back seat but it was a little more bass than i like (getting too old i guess) im currently running one 8 in jl w3v3 and it is perfect. not too boomy and drawn out just tight and punchy. i mostly listen to country and rock. oh yeah bansh-eman there is no way you could fit a sub behind the back seat there is only about 3 inches behind there and that is if you remove the cardboard/insulated back.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:01 PM

Save your money on buying a new amp. Any sub that will fit in there wont require 600 watts go with something less. I second on the IDQ, very good sub's.
And 10" sub is not 'tighter' its a common misconception, if you can fit a 12 go with a 12. Also if you are looking for a big improvement on your sound system for less and have those 2 free channels, go with some mid-basses, they cover more of the sound spectrum than a sub does and you will notice a huge improvement, that, and when you do finally get a sub your front stage will sound way more blended.

Btw good choice of equipment.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by sdguy55
Save your money on buying a new amp. Any sub that will fit in there wont require 600 watts go with something less. I second on the IDQ, very good sub's.
And 10" sub is not 'tighter' its a common misconception, if you can fit a 12 go with a 12. Also if you are looking for a big improvement on your sound system for less and have those 2 free channels, go with some mid-basses, they cover more of the sound spectrum than a sub does and you will notice a huge improvement, that, and when you do finally get a sub your front stage will sound way more blended.

Btw good choice of equipment.
Thanks for the ALL the replies above!

Spent the money on the Alpine PDX 1.6 amp already, its on the way. So, I need a sub that can handle some watts. You like the Image Dynamics Q better than a JL 10W6V? There aren't any I.D. dealers up here in North Dakota where I can hear one, reviews I read online are positive. Looks like I could fit their 12" sub in this box. The JL 12" W6 would be too deep.

I hear you on the mid-bass, I'm lacking it with just the Focal KF's and the sound EQ adjustments I have in my deck (the real weakness of the W-505, otherwise it rocks). But where would you put them? I thought about putting some smaller mid-woofers in the rear doors and amp them with my open channels because it would be easy, but I'm worried it will sound too muddy if its behind me. I ordered Alpine's PXA-H100 audio processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit to give me more EQ options and range, and hopefully this will help me get the sound I'm looking for.

Any other advice is appreciated...Thanks!
Old 10-02-2009, 05:14 PM

You can order from the link I included above. They're very reputable. I've ordered a few things from them over the last 4-5 years. And they have some pretty good deals, usually better than you'll find out in town.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:12 PM

Where are you located? I have treo type ssi in my pickup and really like them. I have ran those since I was in highschool and have never had any problems. Only problem is they are a local brand in omaha, ne. If your located close to omaha or iowa I would say they are worth lookin into.
Old 10-02-2009, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by JIMC_ND
Thanks for the ALL the replies above!

Spent the money on the Alpine PDX 1.6 amp already, its on the way. So, I need a sub that can handle some watts. You like the Image Dynamics Q better than a JL 10W6V? There aren't any I.D. dealers up here in North Dakota where I can hear one, reviews I read online are positive. Looks like I could fit their 12" sub in this box. The JL 12" W6 would be too deep.

I hear you on the mid-bass, I'm lacking it with just the Focal KF's and the sound EQ adjustments I have in my deck (the real weakness of the W-505, otherwise it rocks). But where would you put them? I thought about putting some smaller mid-woofers in the rear doors and amp them with my open channels because it would be easy, but I'm worried it will sound too muddy if its behind me. I ordered Alpine's PXA-H100 audio processor and KTX-H100 tuning kit to give me more EQ options and range, and hopefully this will help me get the sound I'm looking for.

Any other advice is appreciated...Thanks!
For mid-bass i would put them in either the kick panels or the doors (a three way speaker setup in the door makes a door look badass ) the thing your goin to have to do for either spot is sound deadin alot in order to get a nice smooth response. But as far as 'aiming' is concerned dont worry to much about it, put it to where it will be somewhat close to where you sit and call it a day.
Old 10-04-2009, 10:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JIMC_ND
I'm putting a subwoofer in the center console of my 2006 QC RAM. Planning on using a Supercrewsounds center console sub box (.95 cu/ft) unless somebody has a better idea. I need the fold-flat floor, so under the back seats isn't an option. I looked at the JL Stealthbox, but a 13" woofer sounds like more bump than I want. I like to ROCK loud and clean, but I don't want the bass to overwhelm the rest of my system.

Goal for the sub and system is great sound quality, could care less about SPL. Amp I'm looking at is an Alpine PDX 1.600 (mono channel-600 RMS). Looking at JL 10W6V2 or Alpine Type "R" subwoofers, but hoping for some other suggestions of subs to look for and listen to- 10" or 12"? Seems like the single 10's I hear are tighter?

My system is Alpine W-505 HU, Focal KF 6.5 components in the doors, driven by an Alpine PDX 4.100 amp. Stock rear door speakers are faded off the deck to about 10%, may just disconnect them as they aren't adding any SQ anyway. I do have the 2 open amp channels, is there anything I can put in the stock locations in the dash that will add to my system?

Again, looking for great sound quality and willing to spend a reasonable amount of money to get it.

Thanks!

I would suggest putting some 3-4" mids in the stock dash location and crossing your Focals in the doors for dedicated mid-bass, they should easily handle the job. Prep the doors properly and you will be amazed at the increase of mid bass you get. You may have to move your tweets up to the sails or a pillars but see what you think of the sound first.
The enclosure you are looking at is a good size for a 12 IDQ and with your PDX it will surely make you happy. The IDQ is a popular choice within the SQ crowd for good reason.
Heres my post from my install where I used a 15" IDQ
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=251329
For those that say a large woofer cant keep up, well...........they just haven't heard the right gear applied the right way.
Old 10-04-2009, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by ratsun
I would suggest putting some 3-4" mids in the stock dash location and crossing your Focals in the doors for dedicated mid-bass, they should easily handle the job. Prep the doors properly and you will be amazed at the increase of mid bass you get. You may have to move your tweets up to the sails or a pillars but see what you think of the sound first.
The enclosure you are looking at is a good size for a 12 IDQ and with your PDX it will surely make you happy. The IDQ is a popular choice within the SQ crowd for good reason.
Heres my post from my install where I used a 15" IDQ
https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/....html?t=251329
For those that say a large woofer cant keep up, well...........they just haven't heard the right gear applied the right way.

Amazing install! Thanks for the link. Gives me some more "bad" ideas Going to have to shake the money tree a little bit harder.

I ordered a JLW6 sub because I've had a chance to listen to a few of them now, and they have the sound I'm looking for. My tweets are in the sail panels, good spot for them. Dynomatted the doors, back wall is next when I do my amp installs. I have the woofers in the door in foam speaker enclosures, I might pull one off and see if it sounds better. Then I'm going to see how my current set up sounds with the audio processor and the subwoofer installed and go from there.

Hopefully, I won't be wishing I'd bought a set of Focal 3-way components. I DO like the idea of another set of mid-drivers in the dash. Rock on
Old 10-04-2009, 08:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The W6 is a great woofer, but like any other woofer make sure you build the box the size JL recommends.
As for the foam enclosures you will likely notice an improvement by cutting the back out of them, that will still protect the speaker from drips but let it vent.