3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

infinity sound system 2006 2500 Dodge Ram

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 09:41 AM
OSK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infinity sound system 2006 2500 Dodge Ram

I am a new person to this web site and heard good things about it. Well I have a 2006 dodge ram 2500, 5.9 L , Mega Cab truck. I have a really weird issue with my infinity sound system. When I place the ignition switch to the run position the radio will work but when I start the truck the radio will not work when it is warm outside. When it is cold outside and is start the truck the radio will work some times (most all the time). This only happens when I start the truck. Once the radio is working after it starts it will work until I turn the ignition switch off. If it does not work I have to turn the ignition switch off and wait for a few minutes and then the radio will work in the run position. Any ideas??
Old 03-19-2011, 10:37 AM

I too have an '06 w/same system but have never experienced any problems like you discribe. However, sometimes quirky things like this can be resolved by disconnecting the batteries (both) for a short time. I've read of many people curing minor computer glitches by doing this... it resets software. Kind of like restarting your home computer when it gets confused. may be worth a try. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2011, 11:04 AM
OSK

Thanks will try that this weekend.
Old 03-19-2011, 05:50 PM
OSK

I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it stillhave the same issue. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 03-19-2011, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by OSK
I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and it stillhave the same issue. Thanks for the suggestion.
Sometimes you can have a failing electrical part of the ignition switch. Once you have it started, try wiggling the key back and forth just a little bit at a time. If you can get power to the radio, even intermittently, your problem is with the ignition switch. I don't know about the 2500, but it is a very common issue with some Mercedes and BMW vehicles. Worth a shot, its free!
Old 03-19-2011, 10:10 PM
OSK

I just tried that and it did not work. Thanks for the advise. When it does not work i can turn the truck ignition from the run position to the off position and than back to the run potion in it still will not work. I have to turn it off and wait for 3 - 4 minutes, then it will work when i put it into the run position (not starting it). If i try to start the truck the radio may or may not work. What i am think about doing is removing the radio and put a test wire on the hot line coming into the radio and start the truck and see if i get and power. This way i can tell if it is the radio or i have a bigger issue. Does anyone know how to get access to the radio (removal procedures) and have have a pin out of the radio connector that they can send me? This way i can try to trouble shoot. Thanks for everyone's help.
Old 03-19-2011, 10:26 PM

From everything I have read and from previous experience you have to start at the floor and remove the pieces from bottom up to get to the radio.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:23 PM
OSK

Appreciate all your help. When i disconnected the batteries the connections were pretty corroded. I cleaned both batteries and connections and it seams to have solved the problem.
Old 03-27-2011, 09:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I bougth my truck used. I have the same one as you an 06 Laramie 2500. Mine was doing the same thing. It needed a flash of the prom and has worked fine since. Check the TSB 's might be one out there still. Hope this helps.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:47 PM
OSK

Thanks will check the TBSs for that this issue. Is there a specific web site i can go to?
Old 03-28-2011, 09:54 AM

I Had the same problem!!!

I have had the SAME problem on my truck. Same year, mega cab, same sound system. I have had it in the dealership twice and they could not figure it out. They did everything short of replacing it and couldn't diagnose the problem to get it covered by my extended warranty. Mine would do it intermittently but never noticed any correlation with the temperature. My truck also has another weird problem where the horn chirps when I turn the key over before starting (probably unrelated). Anyways, it has done this 3 times since owning it new and lasts for about a month. Ultimately mine goes away. I know none of this helps but at least I know it has happened to others. If you find a fix for it, please let me know. I am sure it will happen to mine again and there is nothing worse than driving around without a radio. Goodluck!
Old 03-29-2011, 07:57 PM
OSK

I think i found the TB for this problem the web site is http://dodgeram.info/tsb/2006-index.htm and the Group bulletin is 08-018-06 "No Radio Audio Or Display Following Engine Crank". It looks like I need to take it to the dealer. Appreciate all your help in resolving this issue.