2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

infinity sound system

Old 12-29-2004, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infinity sound system

As with alot of you, one of my front speakers quit on me. My questions are as follow. The rear speakers. 5.25"? or whatever. Do they have built in amps too? or can I use them with a new head unit? not sure what head unit yet. leaning twords one of the 60watt peak alpines. Is there also a way to connect the factory tweeters up? To replace the 6x9's I think pioneer has a set of 3 or 4way 6x9's that will fit. Any other suggestions tips or advice would be great.
Thanks
~chris
Old 12-29-2004, 07:28 PM

Go with a good set of componets up front. Loose the factory amp and all that crap. Alpine makes some on the best decks out there. Some people find them confusing some times. You can get a good set of components for about 150 bucks. And run them off the Alpine deck. It will sound fine depending on how loud you with listen to it. I would run all new wiring. I know it sounds like a pain. But its worth it. That Alpine deck puts out alot more power then even the infinity system. They have brackets for the door speakers. So you can put 6 1/2 from a componet speakers. The aftermarket tweeters will sound much cleaner then the factory units. How much are you willing to spend? I can help you select good equipement.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:15 AM

U would check the connection on the speaker that stopped working. I had some corrosion on the plug, that made mine to stop working.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:23 AM

not sure yet about budget. The infinity system sounded fairly good to me. I need to decide on a head unit first I supose. I wish they made good headunits that you could put CDs in through the face plate. I really dont like the ones that fold down to put cds in. barring that. Just a cd cdr mp3 player would be good for the time being. I think I was looking at the 9827, 9831, 9833, 9835. I think the 9833 looks the best if I can find a good adapter plate. Why dont you give me some suggestions and I'll shop around for price and see if I can get a direction here.
Thanks
~chris
Old 12-30-2004, 05:44 AM

I would get the 9827 if you want the Slot CD player. If its not that important to you, then go with the 9833. Keep in mind, the 9833 has such a powerful amp, you have to wire the constant power straight the battary. 10 gauge is sufficiant. Any Alpine, you really can't go wrong. They are all great. It just depends on what you want, and how much you want to spend. Even with the less powerful 9827, it will sound much better then the infinity system. My grandmother has the Infinity in her 97 2500. I put in a Pioneer Premier deck, and some JBL coaxials. And it sounds much much better. Vocals come in clear. Its almost as if the band is in my truck. Stereo seperation between the two channels are very good. I can almost place where the band members are. The Alpine should sound just as good.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:02 AM
Chapter President

Careful on selecting 6X9's for the front doors! There is very little room (depth) unlesss you don't mind bulging out the door cover - pop the covers off and take a measurement; I swapped out the factory head unit / 6-CD changer for a new Sony head unit / 10-CD changer set up....The Sony has the DSO option, so I didn't bother rewiring the A-pillar tweeters.
I found this in another forum, if you need to replace the door trim clips:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-911

Note...I had to run wires for all 4 speakers, the fronts had the attached amps, and the rears were apparently sourced through an external amp (which I never actually found - just ran the new wiring!)
Old 12-30-2004, 09:17 AM

I like the Alpine stereos, I put a 9831 Head unit, and everything else in my sig, in about a month ago, and I'm really liking it, after installing everything I'm kind of wishing I went with Components up front now, but I didn't really want to have to do any mods, just replace speakers, same with the rears, I was going to switch to 6.5'" which would play a bit louder before distoring, but after talking with a dealer up here about the modifications that needed to be made to accomodate the speaker which was opening the hole up. What has been said about the 6x9's having a close fit, is definately true, I wasn't sure if my type S's were even going to fit without touching the window track. Some good advice I was given is, go somewhere and listen to what your looking at buying.
Old 12-30-2004, 10:33 AM

Thats alot of info. I have allready taken the door panel off to check out the speakers/connections they looked fine. Although now I have to push unlock twice to get the passigner side door to unlock all the way Does the 9831 also have to be wired right to the battery? I'm aware of the 6x9 depth isiue. The pioneer 3 or 4ways looked really shallow thats why I considerd them. I really like the a-pillar tweeter beacuse all the sound isnt down at my feet then. Do I need to change out the rear speakers too? And is it hard to rewire? Also quick question (I hope) My dad has the regular sound system but got at pioneer deh-p77dh head unit that we put in a whileago. But with the factory spekers in the door you cant hear squat. it just sounds like noise now. he got the new headunit for the cdplayer. Are there any good speakers we can stick in the doors to get some better sound without doing a lot or spending alot?
Thanks
~Chris
Old 12-30-2004, 12:41 PM

Just put Coaxials in to replace the stock ones, even my Alpine Type-S (3-way) were like $120 (canadian) for the fronts, and $99 (canaidan) for the rears (2-way), you don't have to change all of the speakers, most people just like their rears for fill speakers and the fronts to put most of the sound out, re-wiring with the 9831, is not required, and you can use your stock power wire, you just need a different power source, and should re-wire (in my mind it's not really required) for the 9833 and 9835, as they have the larger V-drive amp, I find my 9831 to be plenty loud enough anyway. I was going to get the 9833 or 9835 but it was like $70 more for another band, the v-drive, and I didn't really want to have to run a separate power wire from the batt. I know it may seem like I'm pushing Alpine stuff, but I just know what works for me, and my price range, but definately go with what you think sounds better.

my $.02
Old 12-30-2004, 05:49 PM

I've never owned an alpine but ive always liked them. And a few of my friends have them and love them. Running a new power wire probably isnt to bad. I'd just get a relay and hook it up to the old power line and see about tieing standby into the old line too. Then if I ever get a good CB I can run that off the new power line as well provided there isnt to much interfearance. I think I have some extra 02 or 00 gauge super stranded wire I used for my jumper cables left over. Anywho I'll look around and see what head units are running and try to make a game plan.
Old 12-30-2004, 06:03 PM

Check out eclipse cd players to they are very clean,the alpines are nice to,and a good set of 6x9 will be plenty good and are more efficient than the components.No big deal if you have an amp but if you are running off a cd player ,whatever they rate them at you cant compare it to the same wattage in a seperate amp.there is no comparison.If someone tells you it is, just look at the red power wire of the radio, 12 or 14 gauge doesnt carry much power.

But If you get a nice set of 6x9 that have a high spl or sensitivity rating anything in the 90s is pretty good,

You can check this place and set the fit guide to your vehicle so youll know if they fit or not.This is a very reputable online seller if you see something you like .

http://www.cardomain.com/shoplist~b~...2-Way+Speakers
Old 12-30-2004, 07:30 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I bought a Sony Xplode new off ebay a few months ago for $132.
50 watts per channel, MP3 and RW. Main reason I got it was beacuse it has an aux input for my iPod. I'm digging it, much better than the Infinity.
Old 12-30-2004, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If SQ is what you want get a Eclipse pre amp head unit (No power and a true 8v pre out) and run some real amps. The power from head units is .. Sorry my bias got the best of me For door speakers any reasonable seperate set and Xover mounted on a piece of 1/8 hardboard will kill any 3-4 way 6x9. IMHO sound deadner(Brown Bread, Dynamat) is also a must to rid the tin can effect. A true 25x4 amp(12v @ 4ohms with say >.02%thd) is like 14"x8"x1.5" thick and weighs around 15lbs and requires about a 50 amp fuse, so how do they get all that in a head unit I like the sound of the MBquarts but many feel they are to bright. Sound is a personal preference thing so you really need to go listen to the different speakers and pick the one you like. Just remember sound boards are "juiced up"
Old 12-30-2004, 10:12 PM

Can someone tell me about the stock system....

I got a head unit and 4 speakersr from Crutchfield and got all the wiring harness adapters, etc. Question is if i replace the 4 speakers and attach the wiring harness, is the headunit going directly from the HU to the speakers, or is it going headunit -> infinity amp (unknown location???) -> speakers ??? I want to go straight from my HU to the speakers.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:30 AM

I'm pretty sure the infinity system works as such. Each speaker has an amp built onto the speaker. The head unit sends a signle to the amp for it turn on and work and a sound signle for it play with. As far as I know if you remove the speaker you just removed the amp. And thats the big problem. You cant use speakers dont dont crap out with the factory head unit. and you cant use an after market head unit with the unreliable speakers. You cant even use a crystler "non-infinity" head unit with infinity speakers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: infinity sound system