3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

How to adjust the park brake - easy

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to adjust the park brake - easy

I adjusted mine yesterday, from fairly useless parking brake to full-on awesome.

The passenger side is easy, pull the dust plug, and spin the star adjuster with a slot screwdriver until the brakes lock up the wheel, then back off until the wheel spins freely again. If I recall correctly, you spin the adjuster DOWN on the passenger side for it to increase braking, UP to back off.

The driver side isn't too bad either, but because the assembly is upsidedown, the spring pack is in the way, it's a little more difficult. I used a slot screwdriver, and cut it down to fit in the space provided(Around 5 inches...cut it so you still have some handle to use though) Adjusting this side is easier with the wheel off. But I didn't have to drop the axle like I've seen some guys post. A flashlight helps as well. Spin the adjuster UP to increase braking, and DOWN to back off.

All in all, took about 30 mins.
Old 03-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I performed a search and found this helpful. Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Was gonna ask about this but here it is.My problem though it seems the drivers side parking brake doesn't release all the way ,I'm guessing that it's all gunked up inside as they r original.About to hit 50,000miles.Rear rotors are Shot so they are gonna be replaced with new everything in coming months b4 summer.
Old 10-08-2014, 02:57 PM

Yep, the Search function is a very helpful tool. Mine failed inspection today because when the tech applied the parking brake and put the truck in gear the brake did not hold the truck.

So I'm going out now to make the adjustment.

Thanks to the original OP!
Old 10-08-2014, 03:57 PM

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the original post applies to drum brakes, not disc brakes. Mine are disc.

If I am correct, does anyone know how to adjust the parking brake on rear disc brakes?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2014, 04:33 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This is the correct procedure... there is a separate drum assy in the rotor for the parking brake.
Old 10-09-2014, 09:25 AM

Thanks Madhat, I did not know that! Learned something else again thanks to DTR!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:32 AM

As a follow up, since the parking brake assembly evidently is similar to the old style drum brakes, I tried the "back up and hit brakes" several times to see if they would self adjust and they did!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So you backed up and hit the parking brake, released, and repeated and that adjusted the parking brake?

I might have to try that- mine is starting to weaken again after holding trailers and trees on hills for the last couple weeks.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Jona Gold
So you backed up and hit the parking brake, released, and repeated and that adjusted the parking brake?

I might have to try that- mine is starting to weaken again after holding trailers and trees on hills for the last couple weeks.
Yes, but don't hit the parking brake, use the regular brake pedal, and use it firmly!
Old 10-10-2014, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ssandlin
Yes, but don't hit the parking brake, use the regular brake pedal, and use it firmly!
This will not make any difference in the way the parking brake works on a 3rd gen truck. As stated above, the parking brake is a completely different system than the disk service brakes.

It has to be adjusted manually with the procedure in the first post.

Duallys are even more of a pain......I waited until I was doing some spring work to get at my left side.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by CrazyCooter
This will not make any difference in the way the parking brake works on a 3rd gen truck. As stated above, the parking brake is a completely different system than the disk service brakes.

It has to be adjusted manually with the procedure in the first post.

Duallys are even more of a pain......I waited until I was doing some spring work to get at my left side.
Don't know what to tell you Tony other than it did work.
Old 10-11-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just did the brakes on my kid's '04 1500; the drum parking brake is separate from the discs and internal to the rotor. The old backup and smash pedal routine didn't work, and you'll have to manually adjust them.

As a side note, you'll need a sledgehammer to get the old rotors off. We dialed the adjusters to full open, but because of normal wear there is a ring that forms from the slight drag and wear created by the parking brake. You'll need to hit them a couple times and they'll pop right off.

-Kris