3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Hit a deer......surprised!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 08:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was just thinking about that, im usually driving usually with 1 arm out the window and my right arm on the wheel.... and the guy up above said about the woman that had her arm break in 3 places and break her nose.,...

THAT SUCKS.... and it would happen to me also probably if something major enough for the bags to blow happened.

hmm i never thought about that before, my weak girly wrists would snap in 2
Old 12-03-2004, 08:57 PM

Just stop at a party store in Detroit the crooks will remove the dang thing for ya!!
Old 12-07-2004, 10:24 PM

Two people hit me on the Interstate in one month back in August, both idiots were in cars and tried to change lanes right on top of me. I won both times. The first car hit my driver side tire and bumper, spun around sliding across the front of my bumper and tow hooks and spun around a couple times on the side of the road. I slowed and pulled over to help her out of her car. $2000 worth of damage to my truck, all of which was fixed by scraping her paint off my bumper with a razor blade and cleaning the tire.

The second guy was next to me and started swerving all over the road on my passenger side. Apparently he was on a restricted license and high on pneumonia drugs. He slammed into my passenger side of the bumper, shifting it about 1" to the left. Gouged up the cumper cover quite a bit and scratched my tow hooks as he came over further. Bumper brackets were bent a little, etc.

I'm now anxiously awaiting my Road Armor front and rear bumpers. http://www.roadarmor.com

They should be here in another 10 days or so. *big huge uncontrolable smile*
Old 12-07-2004, 11:10 PM

Speaking of which, on this thread someone said he'd look into finding the value of a proper resistor to put in place of the airbag connector as a way of disabling the airbags without the SRS light going off. Any follow-up on that? I would still like to disconnect my explosives...
Old 12-08-2004, 10:34 AM
Banned

Originally posted by bdramsey
I woulda been pretty mad if the airbag had gone off and I wrecked my truck and caused more damage other than the little bit the deer did.

Deceleration makes sense. I guess those airbags have a pretty fast discharge speed.

It gives me an excuse to get a ranchhand now with the wife's permission
I think if you get a cattle guard, the airbags will virtually never go off, since you do need impact to activate them. They may be tied to decel - not sure - but you also need something to activate the contacts; the bumper going back a set distance. Do your research before you give up your airbags....
Old 12-08-2004, 10:56 AM

The sensor is triggered by RAPID deceleration...not impact. Put any bumper or pushguard on you want, but just don't mess up the airbag sensor...next to the driver's side headlight cluster...
Old 12-08-2004, 11:15 AM

Done all the research I need. Seen and known way too many people (especially short ones, and while I'm 6'2" a lot of short people ride in my truck) injured by airbags. Haven't seen a single person helped by them at all, ever. NTHSA can say whatever they want. I have 6000 lbs of truck, that and seat belts are all the safety features I need, thank you.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:16 PM

Originally posted by Lightman
Tx hawg, you actually seem excited to nail a deer. It sure doesn't seem like anyone cares about the deer at all. Not that I am a big deer lover by any means, but it seems like you guys actually enjoy it! I would certainly try to stop or swerve, not only because I don't want to damage my truck, but I don't want to kill an innocent deer either... I can just see it now, you guys have special deer calling devices in the front of these mega huge bumpers just so you can lure them out and run them over

I "LOVE" deer,

especially rotating over an open fire in mesqite sauce for four hours.
Old 12-08-2004, 02:27 PM

Re: WARNING !!!

Originally posted by Nascarcamper
DO NOT PUT A OHM METER ACROSS THE BAG TO MEASURE !!!!!!

The OHM meter has a battery in it to measure resistance and you could blow the bag with that battery, they don't take much voltage/amps to make it BLOW.

You are on the right track, if you can figure out what resistance to put in place of the bags you would be home BAG FREE. Let me ask around and see if I can find out what resistance would work.

"also if you do any repairs on the column or clock spring and have to remove the air bag---------------- "DISCONNECT THE BATTERY(S) and LET THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM DISCHARGE ALL CAPACITORS.
Disconnecting an AIRBAG with the battery connected can also deploy the bag because of the capacitor built in still having voltage in it.