2nd Gen. Dodge Ram - No Drivetrain Discussion for all Dodge Rams from 1994 through 2002. Please, no engine or drivetrain discussion.

Hit a deer, but got off cheap...

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2007, 12:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hit a deer, but got off cheap...

After 22 years of accident-free driving, I clipped a deer tonight on my way home from work in my '98. It was running at full gallop across the road, and I hit it before I even knew what had happened.

Fortunately, the damage was minor. I caught it's foot or leg in the passenger-side headlamp assembly, which was destroyed. The sheetmetal wasn't touched, although the front bumper fascia has some minor damage that probably isn't worth fixing (other than washing off the deer hair).

I don't want to file an insurance claim since I have a $1000 deductible. Rather than replace the discolored headlight assembly with another discolored headlight assembly from a salvage yard, are there any decent aftermarket options (DOT legal) you can recommend? What about these from eBay? Anyone try them? Thanks!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/94-02...QQcmdZViewItem
Attached Thumbnails Hit a deer, but got off cheap...-dscf0516.jpg  
Old 11-10-2007, 02:16 AM

I have a broken light mount and a broken turn light. So I just went ahead and hate the stock restrictive style lense and bulbs. I went with this set up, it hasn't arrived yet but I use SilverStar headlights from Schucks auto parts (my buddy gets me them at cost...) But when I get them in the mail I will do a post on what they look like, how hard to install, etc...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...178635881&rd=1
Old 11-10-2007, 05:56 AM

I have one complete with side marker for your side, it's used, a little faded just like yours, pay shipping (or come on over) and I'll send it to you.

Otherwise Certifit.com sells them new for $ 65.00 complete.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Valv
I have one complete with side marker for your side, it's used, a little faded just like yours, pay shipping (or come on over) and I'll send it to you.
Valv, you have a PM....
Old 11-10-2007, 08:15 AM

When I hit a deer in my car it was considered part of the comprehensive portion of my insurance, not the collision. So there was zero deductible. Your insurance might pay for it. Could save you some money.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:04 AM

Originally Posted by Dale_K
When I hit a deer in my car it was considered part of the comprehensive portion of my insurance, not the collision. So there was zero deductible. Your insurance might pay for it. Could save you some money.
If you say the deer hit you then it is comprehensive but if you say you hit the deer then it is collision.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:39 AM

Either way the insurance company would use it as an excuse to jack my future premiums. I'm just going to get that headlamp assembly from Valv's offer and be done with it. Thanks for all the replies.

I never thought I'd feel lucky after hitting a deer, but in this case I do. The damage could have been much worse.
Old 11-10-2007, 11:53 AM

hey did you catch the deer. you would have seen me trying to catch it. lol
Old 11-10-2007, 09:28 PM

I hit at deer last monday with my 98 and its a 1300 dollar bill. It took out the grill headlight and complete front bumper. I am glad my deductible is only 100 bucks. I am just glad it didn;t go back farther into condensor, and intercooler
Old 11-11-2007, 07:57 PM

I've hit a few deer in the past few years, mainly from driving 300 miles every weekend to a second home in the mountains. Anyways, I've been lucky most every time (knock on wood). The first deer I hit in my dad's dually. It was a fawn and so short that it almost got off scott free until the rear diff. tore it's head off. The second time I caught the deers leg with the ski of my snowmobile and did no damage. The third time the deer was again small, except this time it clipped the under carriage of my fourwheeler trailer. The next time the deers back leg knicked the fender of our company car and left a scuff on the fender. Nothing more. The most recent time I clipped a deer it was running full speed across the expressway and ended up tripping. I was lucky enough to have been driving my explorer and ended up just running the deers head over with the tire (seriously, dumb luck. I didn't swerve AT it though I would have done the same if there were more time. Honestly, stay off my road!!!!).

Anyways, short story over with. I'd spend the 1-2 bills on the sport headlights and get much better lighting to boot.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by TexMexCowboy
hey did you catch the deer. you would have seen me trying to catch it. lol

yeah, really!

Id've tracked him down and thrown him in the bed and had me a nice BBQ to ease the pain of the repair bill

But sorry to hear about your ordeal. I was driving my friends Jeep GC home last night around 3 in the morning and I saw plenty of deer on the side of the road. The only thing that bothered me is that her Jeep doesnt have a grill guard of any kind

The whole hour drive home I was wishing I was in my truck...its read for just about any game or livestock
Old 11-12-2007, 04:56 PM

I think it is good insurance to get some kind of brush guard, that cover down to the bottom of the grill. There is $8k of stuff up front. The front bumper is a joke.
Not sure how it will do with a deer, but it should help.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:16 PM

Originally Posted by GasganoFJ60

The whole hour drive home I was wishing I was in my truck...its read for just about any game or livestock
Been there done that
Old 11-13-2007, 12:48 PM

just get a stout grill guard... many will cause more damage as they push back into your grill and sheet metal on impact. In fact, I have heard body shop companies like to see them because in an accident, it means they will have more damage and more $$ for them.
Old 11-14-2007, 08:06 AM

I hit one when I had my 96. Can't remember the exact repair bill but it cleaned everything back to the engine. Had to go for everything from the fan out, grill, fender, hood repair, bumper and cover. Smaller doe and I only hit her at 55 but made a real mess. Buddy following me said he saw a big white cloud (fur) and then I pulled over. Busted her up so bad I couldn't even salvage a meal.

Bill

Quick Reply: Hit a deer, but got off cheap...