3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Fumes?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 08:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fumes?

There seems to be a lot of fumes from my diesel....mostly at idling, of course....I saw on the forum some talk about rubber thingys that were left off some truck that would stop fumes from getting in the cabs...could someone tell me in 'girl language' how to check on this and explain it to my husband? Thank you! (Maybe exhaust fumes would explain my bad memory lately!)
Old 11-11-2004, 10:57 PM

Peach,

Check out these two links for more information on how to implement the fix for yourself:

1) This is the thread from this forum that first got me thinking that I wasn't alone in having noticeable fumes in the cabin when idling and/or at a stop. Some folks also have the opinion that a recent oil change or leaving the engine breather tube at its factory length may also be a cause of the excessive fumes.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=35007

2) For those that need a description with pictures, this link is a great help. It's an Adobe Acrobat file that shows you exactly what to look for and shows a couple of suggestions for homemade methods of repair. Definitely look here before tearing your truck apart!

http://www.rounsevell.com/blowby.pdf

In any case, best of luck with your search. I just worked on the truck today, and found both of my "flappers" were missing. Miles on the odometer with the windows up this winter will help me to determine if things have improved, or if more needs to be done to keep the engine fumes out of the cabin. If you've got more questions on making this fix work, just let me know.
Old 11-12-2004, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Guys, is it possible to buy new rubber flapper parts to install, rather than taping it all up?
Old 11-12-2004, 12:48 PM

Lightman,

Yes, the rubber flappers are available to install for the two lower openings towards the rear of the inside fenders. You can read the post by tractor-man on page four of this thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=35007 to see that the part number and approximate cost has already been identified. To be brief, the required part is #55276332AB. I also ordered 6 of the #6505411AA black plastic pins to reattach the black plastic cowl to the bottom of the airbox, and 3 of the #6504135 black plastic pins to reinstall the long piece of fiber padding to the front of the cowl. Just to make it all look nice and neat again after I got done tinkering on the inside.

There are also two larger oval openings inside the air plenium that are just above and just forward of the openings that can be closed with the replacement rubber flappers. As far as I can tell, you will still need to come up with your own creative homemade solution to tape up or plug these second openings. No factory part exists to close these openings, unless you use the same tape-like material that covers the openings along the inside of the underbody rails that some folks have found uncovered in this thread: https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...threadid=53015

DC Quality Control at it's best!?!