3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Electrical warranty voided

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2006, 04:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Electrical warranty voided

I am not getting full power to my brake light/turn signal pins in the bumper connector. When I told the dealer the problem and they found out I had a six pin put in the bed to plug in my gooseneck they said no more warranty. So I said I have a bad Edit dually that pulls trailers with no brake or turn signals only and he said yep. What good is that big truck if they wont put the six pin in for the gooseneck and if its does by someone its voids warranty. So I will tell them to fix it when I go in for the other warrany issues and see what they say. I will probably just have my mechanic fix the problem for me but that just sucks. I feel sorry for the rep at the dealer if he is not curtious when he gets in my face and says no fix for you because I have plenty of funds for attorney fees and he may loose a few teeth. $40,000 and no warranty, paybacks a b!!!!.
Old 08-10-2006, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Get a better dealer. I am a dealer and we install trailer plugs in the bed, so just find a better dealer. Unless there is more to this story then you are telling us?
Old 08-10-2006, 05:57 PM

Wow, that would have been great. I think some are just grumpy.
Old 08-10-2006, 06:58 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like Luke said, try and find another dealer. It aint DCs fault, your truck could be on 49s and DC would know the differance, its all up to the dealer.

But I think DC should build these trucks with 6 pins in them.
Old 08-10-2006, 11:02 PM

You should probably search the threads on the trailer lighting system. I haven't kept up on it but from what i remember the wiring system on the '06 trucks are a completely different animal from the older ones.

I beleive it's considered ok to tap in to the existing trailer wire plug/harness, but can't tap directly into the tail light wiring.

Also, heard of a few guys having to get the Totally Integrated Power Module flashed/reset in order to correct the effects of some wiring mishaps.

Sure don't care much for DC's decision to go to this "CANBUS" wiring system. One positive to it, thought, LOTS of space under the dash for fishing wire for my accessories.

jeff
Old 08-11-2006, 07:11 PM

Did you install the six pin yourself?...

Food for thought, Not saying this is the case but.... if I were a dealership and someone brought in the vehicle with something installed incorrectly (something the dealer didn't install) that has caused a problem, I'd void the warranty too and IMO they should. Lets be honest here, too many people mess up thier own vehicles and try to get the dealers to fix them under warranty, who pays for this in the end,..everyone who buys a new truck/vehicle...
Old 08-11-2006, 10:24 PM

I've made quite a bit of money over the years on improperly wired RV plugs. The crowd favorite was tapping into the trucks running lamp circuit instead of the trailer lamp running lamp circuit. It took awile, but most would eventually have a meltdown at the switch, short out and take some of the underdash harness with it. 06's are a different animal all together. I would definately make sure the TIPM is updated to the latest greatest release and that anyone doing the install is aware of which circuits do what. I've already ran into a couple guys that have killed the TIPM.
Old 08-12-2006, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by J BODY
I've made quite a bit of money over the years on improperly wired RV plugs. The crowd favorite was tapping into the trucks running lamp circuit instead of the trailer lamp running lamp circuit. It took awile, but most would eventually have a meltdown at the switch, short out and take some of the underdash harness with it. 06's are a different animal all together. I would definately make sure the TIPM is updated to the latest greatest release and that anyone doing the install is aware of which circuits do what. I've already ran into a couple guys that have killed the TIPM.

We've seen a lot of problems with that also. Had a guy in here the other day that had all kinds of extra crap plugged right into the TIPM, like a DVD player, a Fass system, an auxillary fuel tank pump, and some other crap too. He didn't understand why that thing keeps shutting down circuits on him?
Old 08-12-2006, 12:57 PM

I had the six pin installed by the best truck outfitter in town. Thanks for the info guys. The way dealers treat warranty issues they should not be surprised so many people but in odometer switches and give themselves an extended warranty. The first switch I saw on a vehicle was on the techs diesel truck. lol.
Old 08-12-2006, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by cromulius
I had the six pin installed by the best truck outfitter in town. Thanks for the info guys. The way dealers treat warranty issues they should not be surprised so many people but in odometer switches and give themselves an extended warranty. The first switch I saw on a vehicle was on the techs diesel truck. lol.

I would take it back to the shop that installed the six pin and make them fix your brake & light problems which to me sound directly related to the install, If they truely are the "best" in town they'd have no problem doing this...No way this should be the responsibility of the dealership, you can't honestly tell me you think it is...

As far as turning back the odo's etc., IMO this just makes them worthless theives, no better than the any car-jacker or gas station stick-up looser.
Old 08-13-2006, 09:53 AM

Ya, the oufitter may take a look at it. I have not talked to them about it yet. Everything was working great for six months now the pins show half power. This is not an emergency, it was just the attitude of the service adviser on the phone that got me hot. Seems like they are always saying NOPE. I kind of have the feeling that the warranty might be voided for all electrical issues now. I will go to a couple of different dealers now and start meeting the techs just like I do when I am looking for my own empoyees. As far as me thinking is it the responsibility of the dealership. Yes, if it were one of my products I would tell my customer I will gladley have someone take a look at the problem and if it is an issue created by the installer of the six pin then it will not be a warrany item and if it not an issue created by the installer of the six pin then it shall be corrected under warranty. Instead this particular adviser chooses to say NOPE NO WARRANTY and tells me the price for a electrical diagnosis. Kind of like when I took the truck in for another warranty item and they just kept telling me probably one more day. After a couple of days I took it upon myself to gather info and find out that the wrong part was ordered originaly and then the right part shipped to the wrong dealer and was now on its way back to the manufacturer or distributer of that part. So I called the adviser back and educated him on the facts that were his job to know and told him not be be scared to ask me for help with his job so we could get some real answers instead of "probably one more day". When I went up to the dealer for the second time for that same issue I want to the shop after waiting a few minutes for my advisor and found half the shop and a couple of advisors huddled around a dodge with a hemi and a new air cleaner and exhaust looking like a bunch of Beavis and Buttheads. If it were me I would have found out where the part was and sent one of the goobers down to the other dealership to get it instead of waiting another day to see if it just apears. All I can say is WOW THESE GUYS ARE SMART. During this waisted time I did the right thing and took measures so that this truck being down would not cause any of my employees loss of wages or my customer have a delayed project. Anyway