3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Does aftermarket stereo require this expensive interface?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does aftermarket stereo require this expensive interface?

The Crutchfield site says I need a Metra CHTO-02 Interface ($159.99) to install an aftermarket stereo in my 04.5 truck. My truck is a Laramie with Infinity Sound (7 spkr). I ordered my truck with the Cassette/Single CD player (as opposed to the 6 CD changer unit) with the intention of upgrading in the future. Do I really need this interface module? I'm looking at a Clarion FZ501 primarily to get Bluetooth hands free and audio streaming. But, this interface literally doubles the cost of my "upgrade".
Old 04-13-2011, 04:58 PM

Well, after some searching, it seems this Infinity amp that I have complicates the upgrade process. It processes a digital signal which I assume the aftermarket head units do not commonly (or ever) produce. Hence, the need for the Metra interface module (which, I assume, does some kind of analog to digital conversion from the new head unit). I have found it on buy.com for about $100 shipped. What are my other options? Can I bypass the Infinity amp entirely and use the built-in amp of my new head unit? I also read conflicting statements about the speakers themselves being the wrong impedance for new head units. If I bypass the Infinity amp, do I have to replace all the speakers? Surely, someone else has done this ...
Old 04-13-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you bring this up.

I just purchased a Clarion CZ200 for my '04 from Crutchfield. I also have the Infinity 7 speaker system.

Before y'all flame me, I am not that concerned for paying too much for the stereo. Just looking for an easy swap.

Same story, I got the interface unit for 1/2 the advertised price since I bought the stereo there (still too expensive though). After quizzing the tech quite a bit, I found that you can wire the new unit directly into the 4 door speakers, but will lose use of the 3 tweeters on the dash. I bought the adapter thing because I don't want to hack my wiring and spend all day installing a stereo.

Originally Posted by NJMurvin
conflicting statements about the speakers themselves being the wrong impedance for new head units.
You can look at the resistance label on the back and see what the new unit manual says for the speaker requirements.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:28 AM

I may just take it to a car audio place and let them sort it out and recommend the best thing to do. I think buying the interface may be the right answer in the end. However, there are some threads here (admittedly older) describing problems with the interface. Hopefully, those have been resolved.

I'm with you on keeping it simple. At the end of the day, I wanted something for hands free calling and music streaming and the FZ501 has all that built in. Other options that include NAV either require hacking up the dash to fit a 2 din unit or a pop out model. Either option has a big price. I'm fine with my Garmin or my iPhone Magellan app for NAV. So, this seems to be the best option for me. Who knew that getting the Infinity Sound system in our trucks would bite us in the butts years later?
Old 04-14-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NJMurvin
I may just take it to a car audio place and let them sort it out and recommend the best thing to do. I think buying the interface may be the right answer in the end. However, there are some threads here (admittedly older) describing problems with the interface. Hopefully, those have been resolved.

I'm with you on keeping it simple. At the end of the day, I wanted something for hands free calling and music streaming and the FZ501 has all that built in. Other options that include NAV either require hacking up the dash to fit a 2 din unit or a pop out model. Either option has a big price. I'm fine with my Garmin or my iPhone Magellan app for NAV. So, this seems to be the best option for me. Who knew that getting the Infinity Sound system in our trucks would bite us in the butts years later?
I asked a car audio tech about upgrading my system, and he said it's easy to do with the Infinty. I didn't get a quote though.
Old 04-14-2011, 02:01 PM
Banned

I put a Kenwood from Cruthfield in my 04 Laramie......it required the interface.......they gave me a discount as I was purchasing the stereo thru them.........my factory unit crapped out and the local municipalities passed an ordnance for hands free cell phones......works well......tight fit though.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:57 PM

Also pay attention to the antenna connector. I've never seen one like it and after I purchased the stereo, I sent an email to Crutchfield asking them about it. I got no part numbers in response except they said they are sending an adapter. Should receive my order Monday.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:06 PM

I sure have to wonder why they used non-standard stuff.

Quick online search turned up this item.
http://www.amazon.com/ANTENNA-Harnes.../dp/B000KL4HW6
Old 04-20-2011, 09:08 PM

4-12-11 ordered stereo
4-14-11 realized the antenna adapter was not included, ordered that
4-18-11 received stereo and amp adapter, opened the box to start making connections. I realized the bezel adapter was not there even though I spent at least 15 minutes on the phone with sales/tech support and even emailed a pic of my dash to make sure it was the correct item.
4-19-11 called and ordered bezel adapter
4-20-11 made wiring connections
waiting for the bezel

To give Crutchfield credit, they didn't charge me for the bezel adapter or antenna adapter since they were left out of the order.

Here is a pic of the wiring, if you want more they are located here.