3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Bad brake job?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2006, 04:15 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad brake job?

Hey all,

Had my brakes done a couple a months ago at my dealer. Had the rotors turned and bought the better oem pads from DC. Now my trucks shakes much worse when braking than before I had the brakes redone!!! Did I get a poor brake job? Can one mess up turning the rotors? Will the service writer try to sell me new rotors?

thanks
Jamie
Old 01-20-2006, 08:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
How many miles do you have? The rotors should still be under warranty if you're under 36K.

If you are over 36K then suggest to the dealer that your brakes now shake the truck worse than before you brought it in. Insist they turn the rotors again and make them "true" and if they can't be turned again then they owe you a new set of rotors.
Old 01-20-2006, 08:52 PM

The rotors should still be under warranty if you're under 36K.
brake wear component and clutch wear components only have like a 6 month warrenty
Old 01-20-2006, 08:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rotors are out of warranty at 12k/12months. I've had great success using the "Value Line" pads at work. I'm assuming they used the Pro Cut on car lathe. It's a dealer required tool. I wouldn't cut a rotor off the car/truck anymore.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:07 PM

Sounds to me like they turned the rotors undersize and they got hot from use and warped. Wouldn't matter if it was a dealer or Joe Schmoe's Brake Job Emporium, somebody owes you new brakes. To answer the question, you bet they can screw up a brake job! If the rotors aren't thoroughly cleaned before chucking them up in the lathe, it's just luck if they turn true.
Old 01-21-2006, 06:38 AM

Originally Posted by timcasbolt
Sounds to me like they turned the rotors undersize and they got hot from use and warped. Wouldn't matter if it was a dealer or Joe Schmoe's Brake Job Emporium, somebody owes you new brakes. To answer the question, you bet they can screw up a brake job! If the rotors aren't thoroughly cleaned before chucking them up in the lathe, it's just luck if they turn true.
I can (and have) warped new rotors right out of the box on the test drive. Quite easy to do actually. How much mileage o the brakework? If the brakes didn't pulsate after the brake work but do now then the rotors warped because of heat, rapid cooling, a component sticking, or possibly driver error.(didn't ride them down the hill with your 20k gooseneck behind you did ya??) Have them measure the rotors and see if they are undersize. Have them measure their parralism (sp) If they are undersize then you need new rotors. If not you can cut them again but be careful not to go undersize. Cutting rotors is not really a good idea anymore imo.
Old 01-21-2006, 01:07 PM
Chapter President

Thanks all,

I have 82K on the truck. No I didn't tow anything. Just a daily driver.
I will bring it up to the service writer, but I'm not expecting him to bend over backwards at all for me. I've always had little to no luck at all dealing with DC.

thanks for the input

PS the same tech that did my brakes messed up putting in a new lock mechanism on my driver door.

Jamie
Old 01-21-2006, 02:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by timcasbolt
If the rotors aren't thoroughly cleaned before chucking them up in the lathe, it's just luck if they turn true.
.....which is a stone age method. On car lathe is the only way to fly!! and as I mentioned, the dealer should have the pro cut lathe as it is a DC required tool.
Old 01-21-2006, 02:34 PM

If I am not mistaken, the factory rotors are cryo treated for better heat handling. If they turned them you may have warped them and also destroyed the cryo treatment. I would never have rotors turned anymore. Much better idea to replace them. Of course with cryo-treated rotors, this is pricey!