3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Audio System Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2004, 10:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio System Questions

Hey Guys,

I'm ready to ditch the terrible stock radio in my 04 QC and have a couple questions for any of you that have replaced the factory system. Thanks in advance for your help!

1) I was looking online for the JL Audio Stealthbox (subwoofer) I've seen a few people using...the one that mounts right under one of the rear seats. I can't seem to find anyone that sells these. I need the enclosure and the woofer, but already have the amp. Where do you find these things?

2) I believe my system does not have the tweeter kits in the dash and seem to recall the dealer telling me this truck uses 6x9's in the front doors and 6.5's in the back. Is this true? If so, what speakers are some of you using with good results? Have you gone the component route and installed tweeters in the dash rather than using coaxials in the doors?

3) Where are you guys mounting a 4-channel amp? Will it fit unde the front passenger seat?

Thanks all!

KD
Old 09-09-2004, 11:21 AM

Your jack and such is under your passenger seat. Otherwise, I don't know about the others. I still have the factory high end system.

Try looking over here to see stereo systems. There seems to be a lot.

http://dodgetruckworld.tenmagazines.com/
Old 09-09-2004, 11:33 AM

Thanks J.

I'll check that link out. Another question I had, for anyone that may have done this themselves, is how hard is it to install the speakers yourself in the door? Are the door panels easy to remove and reinstall without vibration problems afterwards?
Old 09-09-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dog, yes the 4 channel amp can fit under your seat, as this is where I put mine (Alpine). I put my changer under the rear seat behind the drivers side. The speakers are a breeze too. Remove the middle screw, the screw by the mirror, and two screws at the bottom. Give a slight tug up and remove slowly so that you can disconnect the power window and locks connections. No problems or rattles....On a scale of 1 - 10, 10 being the easiest, I'd say a 10.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:43 PM

Cool - thanks nonford. Now I just need to find that JL Audio box and I'm set. Thanks for the info.
Old 09-10-2004, 05:42 PM

Update: I finally found the JL Stealthbox...they have to be custom ordered through a JL dealer. Car Toys was the only dealer I could find, and they wanted $550.00 for the enclosure and woofer alone without installation . Talk about margin - I'm in the audio business and there's no way the entire system costs them more than $80-$90.00 (granted, JL does make some pretty serious woofers).

Anyway, that's way over what I'm going to spend on this project so I started doing some more research and found a similar product from Q Logic. It doesn't look anywhere as good as the Stealthbox, but serves the same purpose. With the seats down, no one will see it anyway. I have access to some incredible 10" metal cone subs with 10 lb. magnets and cast steel baskets (as I said, I'm in the audio industry) for $50.00 each, so I'll have this thing installed start to finish for under $250.00. I'll report back when I find out how it sounds.

Thanks, everyone, for the help.
Old 09-10-2004, 07:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Dog, dang, I just might hear you from Texas...
Old 09-10-2004, 09:02 PM

One company that offers a lot of audio equipment is Crutchfield. I haven't gotten one of their catalogs for quite a while now but they used to offer a wide range of choices for all types of audio equipment. I don't know how to add a link but their web site is www.crutchfield.com.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:18 PM

i have a 04 qc,mine had the infinity speakers and a nav radio,i kept the stock head unit and rear doors speakers,i installed alpine 6.5 and tweeters in front doors,used the 3 stock tweetrs in dash,i have the jl box under seat with 10 inch woofers and a alpine 5 ch amp under the drivers seat.i dyno matted the rear floor and behind rear seat on back of cab,it sounds great.
Old 09-13-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally posted by nonford
Dog, dang, I just might hear you from Texas...
Lets hope so!