3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Aftermarket extended warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket extended warranty

Has anybody had any experience dealing with these aftermarket warranty companies?
I just bought a truck 09 2500 ram 6.7 from a dealer, and I went for the Extended warranty they were pitching The company is called Coverage One Extended Warranty.
the package is costing me $2700 for full bumper to bumper coverage to 160k

I'm just curious if these guys will screw around when it comes time to make a claim. I haven't picked up the truck yet or finalized the deal so I'm sure I could get out of it if need be.

Thanks
Old 02-27-2011, 11:43 AM

my 2 cents

Buying an extended waranty is great if your truck ends up needing repairs but stop & think why it is available. The warranty provider is not in business to be your pal they are in business to make money. They are betting that the cost of your premium will be more than what it costs to cover repairs on your vehicle during the term. If it was not they would lose money on every policy they write & would be bankrupt in no time.

I would look very carefully at the fine print on any extended warranty. Any opporunity the provider has to keep from paying out for repairs will be exercised. If you modify your truck you will void your warranty. If you do not keep a very detailed paper trail on all your maintenance they will also try to hang you out to dry.

My advise is to skip the warranty & do your own due dilligence when it comes to maintenance & stick to the factory provided warranty.
Old 02-27-2011, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
Buying an extended waranty is great if your truck ends up needing repairs but stop & think why it is available. The warranty provider is not in business to be your pal they are in business to make money. They are betting that the cost of your premium will be less than what it costs to cover repairs on your vehicle during the term. If it was not they would lose money on every policy they write & would be bankrupt in no time.

I would look very carefully at the fine print on any extended warranty. Any opporunity the provider has to keep from paying out for repairs will be exercised. If you modify your truck you will void your warranty. If you do not keep a very detailed paper trail on all your maintenance they will also try to hang you out to dry.

My advise is to skip the warranty & do your own due dilligence when it comes to maintenance & stick to the factory provided warranty.
You hit this right on the head.
Old 02-28-2011, 11:35 AM

I was just at the dealer today , I just purchased a 2005 off a guy from this site ... it is a one owner truck so I was able to transfer the remainder of the warranty to me .
I hate the dealers ... took an hour to just do that but it gave me the cummins coverage to the 100K in my name , had to fork over 150 bucks .
I went in to the finance guy and seen what extended coverage was offered above the 7/70 . The dodge dealer was offering a warranty thru Fidelity Warranty Service ... A platinum plan 3/36 was $2398 and had a pile of stuff they would not cover but was told it was bumper to bumper ... far from it .
Then they had a gold for 3/36 for $2198 and had even less coverage .
Then I went over and talked to the service manager about parts replacement ... I have some movement in the front hub bearing ... nothing bad yet . I was told just that the only time they replace parts is for total failure ... They told me the part had to be sent back for approval ...There full of crap also , I don't remember the last time any manufacture wanted old parts back unless there was a recall or some structural failure .
All they did was push me away with every answer ... rather put the money away .
Sorry about High jacking your tread , this is what I seen today .
Old 02-28-2011, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Extended warrenties can be looked at in two ways. First, you're betting the truck will break down. and they're betting it won't. If you're willing to wager a bunch of money that it will break, why buy it?

But, a little insurance can't be a bad thing. It's a complicated mechanical object, and something will eventually break. It's unavoidable. And think about how much a new transmission costs!

The Cummins engine is warrentied for 5yr/100K miles. So no worries there. But the rest of the truck is usually only warrentied for 3/36. And it's the rest of the stuff you need to worry about, not the engine: trans, A/C, diffs, ventilation doors, etc.

The cost of the warrenty is variable - by a lot. Dealers get a huge profit margin out of them. Don't take the first offer.

I bought my truck with 26K miles on it. I also bought a 5yr/100K mile bumper to bumper extended warrenty, that has a $50 deductable. I paid $1,200 for it. At 38K miles, the trans was doing that hunting/shifting thing. I took it to the dealer for repair. When they opened it up, they found internal damage. The rebuilt it, and installed a new TC. The repair bill was a lot more than $1,200. They didn't even charge me for the deductable. So any repairs now are free; the extended warrenty has already paid for itself.

Think of it like full coverage insurance, like comp and collision.
Old 02-28-2011, 01:27 PM

The 05's have the 7/70 on the truck powertrain and 7/100k on the cummins . So for $150 bucks I get another year of coverage on the cummins .
7yr/100k mile warrany on the CTD engine. ZERO deductible for first 5 years of service and $100 deductible for years 6 and 7.
These are first owner warranties. The 7/70k and 7/100k CTD are transferable and you have 30 days to transfer ($150) the warranty from the date of purchase. if you do not transfer the warranty the 7/70k powertrain is Null and VOID and the 7/100k is dropped to 5/100k.
Old 02-28-2011, 04:06 PM

I have had the experience of using an extended warranty to its fullest, bought the bumper to bumper to 100k when I bought my 97 F350, at 79000 miles tranny started acting funny, new trans installed at a cost of $100 to me, at 95000 miles I took truck back for a few minor things, sticking rear power window, sticking power door locks, leaking water pump, cam sensor.....all replaced for $100. Well worth the $1800 I bought the plan for.

Fast forward to present, like .boB, the tranny on my 07 CTD is shifting funny, wish I bought an extended warranty with this truck too
Old 03-01-2011, 03:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can get a Dodge factory warranty on line cheaper then what the dealer will sell it to you for, I know as that is how I got mine for less the the selling dealer wanted.

As for some aftermarket company (I don't trust them as read to may post of how they don't pay or pay very little) who knows if they will pay if you have a claim so IMHO if you want an extended warranty then buy a Dodge warranty not some aftermarket one.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
My FIL is going on 2 months now with a blown engine in his ford explorer, the aftermaket warranty co he bought decided they wont pay for a new motor. He is going to have to sue them. their in chicago hes in NY, a pita. If your going to get a warranty get a factory one and get it online. keep all your receipts for oil and filters, and a record of all maintenance done. The magic eight ball is used when a problem arises so be prepared to be denied coverage. Also be prepared to wait weeks for them to come and look at the broken parts, and in the end they say sorry. The ball is in their court not yours they allready got your money.
Old 03-02-2011, 07:59 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't even consider the aftermarket plans. If you're going to do it,consider the online discounted Chrysler max coverage plans only.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:21 AM
Advocate of getting the ban button used on him...

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Danderson
Don't even consider the aftermarket plans. If you're going to do it,consider the online discounted Chrysler max coverage plans only.
Exactly this ^^^
Old 03-02-2011, 07:54 PM

Forgot to mention, the plan on my F350 was through Ford, not aftermarket so may be why I had good luck with it.