3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

Ac blend door club

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2011, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Happened to me twice. The last time, I just took the piece of garbage out and didn't replace it.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:32 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by toesmack
Bought an 06 a few months back with 77k and a bad mode 2 blend door, just didn't know it or would have knocked another $1,000 off the price! To say this is a miserable job is to put it mildly. You have to remove the ENTIRE dash on the Laramie. Dodge may have built a real piece o crap heater system, but they covered it up with a dash that was never intended to be removed.
Just ordered parts from Heater Treater website and used their videos for the teardown. Didn't realize the shortcut is chopping your way into the heater plenum and doing the repair through the gash, but see little other viable option. Will do the wackin' an hackin' later today. Truck is completely undriveable until complete, so keep this in mind when planning this operation.
Could not be more unsatisfied with this truck, or Dodge at this point. To have knowingly produced the same faulty parts for so many years, is just inexcuseable. This heater in this truck is about as practical as building a campfire on the front seat.
So you have the dash out? If so, I'd go ahead and take the HVAC apart rather than chop into it.

It really comes out pretty easily, though you'd need the AC system evacuated and coolant drained to pull the case.
Old 03-13-2011, 11:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket blend doors

Got my parts from Heater Treater by next day, and am pleased with the kit and engineering done by HeaterTreater. Dodge should have built it this way in the first place. Kit is complete and well thought out. Even includes a rotary cutting bit and aluminum tape to reseal plenum box. Didn't relish chopping into the box but sure beat the alternative.
I guess I should have been a little more specific. If I were not to have used the HeaterTreater repair process, I would have had to remove entire dash and HVAC assy. adding 6 to 8 hours to the job. While this job is not pleasant, chopping into the plenum saves a massive headache, evac/recharge of the AC system and draining the coolant. You will still need to tear deep into the dash. I was able to change out the mode 1 and mode 2 blend doors without cutting the metal struts and backing structure. I now finally have heat on my feet.

This also makes my wife very happy.
This is good!

Now if I can just get the towing mileage up to a semi acceptable level I may consider keeping this hog.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:39 PM

Add me to the club. I haven't taken any thing apart yet and I have 89k miles and the other thing is when I have the fan turned all the way up it sounds like the blower is off balance and makes a heck of a noise and vibration. I do have the pasenger side warmer than the driver. How do I fix.
Old 06-16-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Most likely the recirculate door broke and fell onto the fan. You can pull the motor off the bottom of the case to remove broken pieces.

To replace it the dash has to come out, but the recirculate housing may be replaced without removing the whole hvac case, saving draining the ac and coolant.

I'd check the charge regarding not cooling well on one side.
Old 06-26-2011, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by tomm
I'm getting a club together of folks who have experienced the broken blend door issue.

Those who only report warm air on the passenger side but have not yet removed their dash and confirmed a broken blend door do not qualify.

thank you
I'm not in the club do to this.
Old 06-16-2013, 11:30 AM

Man for this to be a blend door only thread there sure is lots of knuckleheads talking about there recirc. and mode doors on here. My A/C still blows cool air out of all vents but its just not as cold as it use to be. I had my HVAC sytem out about 2 years ago to change out my heater core and I really don't want to go through that again. I've heard people talk about torching there turbo's by bypassing there heater core on the 6.7 cummins but I have the 5.9 and was wondering if I just change my hoses over to bypass the heater core if that would solve my problem. If the heater core is not getting hot it should'nt matter if the cold air travels through or around the heater core. Does this make since and sound like an alternative to having to pull the whole HVAC housing out? By the way I've checked my A/C system out and it is all charged up and compressor is working properly. Thanks fellas. 271,000 and counting, my first dodge and I love it.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:11 PM

Your making this way to complicated. If you do a search on AC problems, you will find a common solution was that the freon level was low. Do a complete service and measure the correct amount, (which I believe is 1.4 lbs. but double check that) This forum is covering a lot of issues concerning the very poor quality of the parts used in the air management system. Mainly people notice this with the use of the AC system, so that is why you are reading about that.