3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

03 ac not working on pass side!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ac not working on pass side!

I have an 03 ctd, I noticed the drivers side vents blow strong and cold and the pass side, weak and warm! I am almost out of warranty. Does anyone know of a fix in case I have problems with the dealer?
Old 06-18-2006, 01:21 PM

Lots of posts/threads on this.Usually low charge.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:36 PM

Along with NUMEROUS other things my truck is in the dealership and this is one of the same problems...

Except mine will blow as cold as a as a Dodge A/C can on the Driver's side, but for about 10-15miles or so the passenger side A/C will blow hot... Then the longer you drive it the "better" it get's...
Old 06-22-2006, 09:58 AM

I had mine in about a month ago for the blend door TSB. When I got it back the passenger side AC temperature is twenty degrees higher than the driver side.I took it in two days ago. I called the dealer late yesterday and talked to the service manager. They had suspected the blend door had broken again. The dash was removed again to access the blend door. The blend door is not broken. He stated they can't find the cause and is ready to drive it in to the Ohio River. My thoughts exactly. They have been in contact with DC tech. The dealer was told a ten degree difference is normal but twenty degrees is not. They ordered some unknown parts to throw at it. We shall see.
Old 07-19-2006, 07:03 PM

I believe I could help (I'm really close to the product - DC engineering). To root cause this I would need you to give input on the following evaluations.

1) To rule out issues with the blend doors and such, evaluate the left and right temperatures with the AC off and the controls set to full cold. Do you feel any difference?

2) At a constant speed (say 55 or higher), evaluate the left and right temperatures with the AC on and the controls set to full cold. Do you feel any difference? Can you measure it? Run both low and high blower speed. Also run in recirc mode.

3) At idle, evaluate the left and right temperatures with the AC on and the controls set to full cold. Do you feel any difference? Can you measure it? Run both low and high blower speed. Also run in recirc mode.

In general low ref. charge will cause the passenger side to be warmer, but it sounds like even after a re-charge (should be 30oz) the issues are still there.

Let me know more details.....
Old 07-19-2006, 07:54 PM

Will do.Its not as noticable temp wise on recir.Mine has been evacuated and recharged three times since new.WIFE and any pass is tired of the BLAST of warm air that comes out of it after a stop and starting off.It at times almost goes to ambient temps on pass side then comes down as you drive.The COOLEST temp on recir is still almost 10 degrees warmer on a mid 90 degree day then my 1998 1500.
Old 07-20-2006, 07:49 AM

I'm kind of familiar with the blast of warm air during/just after acceleration. It sounds like you are working on the next piece of information and that is to see if the issue is there while driving at steady state.
Old 07-20-2006, 12:01 PM

Its not while driving at a steady speed.After you stop and then start off.Like at a redlight etc.On accel its a blast of what feels like ambient temp air only on right side vents.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:06 AM

beem0

I am having the same as Hounddog is. You stop at a light and the passangers side warms up a little and once you accelerate the passangers side goes to ambient temp. My truck has been to the dealer 11 times, 2 different dealers even, and it is there right now. They keep evaquating and recharging it but they can find any leaks and it does not help. The dealer says STAR is not being helpful. Do you have any information that can help the dealer fix it.
Old 07-21-2006, 10:22 AM

beemo for my truck here are the observations: ~90 deg ambient

1) To rule out issues with the blend doors and such, evaluate the left and right temperatures with the AC off and the controls set to full cold. Do you feel any difference?

NO

2) At a constant speed (say 55 or higher), evaluate the left and right temperatures with the AC on and the controls set to full cold. Do you feel any difference? Can you measure it? Run both low and high blower speed. Also run in recirc mode.

NO 60 deg, 2 deg, recirc. 50 deg

3) At idle, evaluate the left and right temperatures with the AC on and the controls set to full cold. Do you feel any difference? Can you measure it? Run both low and high blower speed. Also run in recirc mode.

yes, drivers 60 pass. 65, recirc drivers 55 pass 60

But like I said in the previos post once you accel off idle the passangers side goes to 75-80 and the drivers side goes to ~75.
Old 07-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Well low charge will make the issue worse, but it sounds like the system was re-charged. For the most part this is normal for the diesel. No real fix. Somethings will help and have been improved for 06 model year (the engine fan calibration and orifice tube size).
Old 07-22-2006, 11:09 AM

Whats normal? No cooling and blasting passengers with hot air? Not trying to be a smart butt but thats NOT normal at the price of these vehicles or for THAT matter any NEW vehicle with AC.Sounds like someone with D.C. is buffaloing you and NOT wanting to ADDRESS or REDESIGN a 3 YEAR OLD issue.
Old 07-22-2006, 03:27 PM

My truck worked extremely well for a year and a half. A/C would blow out 43 deg air on a 100 deg day without recirculate on. Then all of a sudden the A/C stops working a year ago and the dealer cannot fix it.

So no, it is not normal for the trucks A/C not to preform.
Old 07-22-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by beem0
For the most part this is normal for the diesel. No real fix.
u r joking right?
Old 07-23-2006, 01:32 PM

BEEMO!!!! What happened? Someone with D.C. tell you to LEAVE it alone?? Tell US what they TOLD you! THEY know THEY have a issue and are trying to avoid it.Worried about buy backs or a class action suite.Come on guy.Tell US WHAT and WHO said it.You opened up a PANDORAS box.

Quick Reply: 03 ac not working on pass side!