3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Smarty Jr 6.7 vs Smarty Jr 5.9

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr 6.7 vs Smarty Jr 5.9 possible problem with my 6.7jr

Just done performing the required deletes as per the MADS website and downloaded the ME programming. MBRP 4" turbo back, removed plunger, disconnect servo motor and throttle valve as needed. Loaded performance tune, torque 2 and timing 2 and something doesn't seem right. The power is not very obvious and almost non-existant to a point. Throttle response is maybe slightly improved, won't spin the tires from a dig at all. Seems pretty weak. Something has to be wrong?!?!

Now, I am basing all of this off my past experience with my 06 5.9 Auto with the Smarty Jr set on the 70 (tow) setting, non pod or REVO, early Jr and that truck would absolutely haul the mail. My old 06 would destroy this 6.7, it is not even a comparison.

So, those of you who have run both the 5.9 and 6.7 trucks with the smarty tuner, how do the two engines compare? Did they really soften up the JR that much compared to the earlier 5.9 versions like I had? Does something seem wrong or am I just wishing for what isn't there?

I have no codes, cel's or anything like that. Truck starts and runs fine, drives fine but from standard download to #3 (performance) download therre seems to be hardly any difference. Based off my past experience I expected way more power. Plan on calling Bob in the morning to pick his brain but something has to be off. I am in NO way bashing here, the Smarty is the best of the best and think that Bob and Marco are outstanding guys so don;t take this is a bash. Just trying to figure out what I got cooking here.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM

Spoke with Bob today and he is sending out a Sr model to compare for me to see if my truck is messed up or if something else is going on. Great service and he suggested sending another tuner to try and help me out.

Huge thumbs up.

Thanks Bob.

-Jeremy
Old 07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Did you leave the EGR Actuator motor (brown thingy) plugged in???

If that is unplugged it will decrease performance.

Double check make sure you have the ME version of the software loaded.

Any codes?????
Old 07-12-2010, 07:29 PM

Actuator is still plugged in, no codes. Will try the Sr when it arrives and will compare the two and see if the SR gives better results. Don't get me wrong, the truck runs fine but something is missing as far as performance. Hopefully the SR will fix my issues.

-Jeremy
Old 07-16-2010, 06:12 PM
"California Style"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Jeremy,

How is this going? I assume you have the Sr. by now?
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM

Definately sticking with the SR. The extra adjustments are worth the extra money not to mention the added HP levels to be a bonus as well.

I use to have one of ther earlier version jr models on my 06 back when they first came out and they seemed to be less refined but stronger pulling. The Sr reminds me of the old JR I use to have if that makes any sense

Now, I just need to find out the best combo for my tastes, need to got some gauges to see where everything is at before I get too carried away.

-Jeremy
Old 07-16-2010, 09:56 PM
Administrator / Severe Concussion Aficionado

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Glad you got that settled....

Kinda shook my Smarty faith for a little bit.....
Old 07-18-2010, 09:30 AM

I have noticed a big difference in power just by changing the settings from default to torque 4 and timing 4.