3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (6.7L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 6.7L ONLY!

Noise from boost guage after installation on 6.7l

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise from boost guage after installation on 6.7l

I installed my boost guage using the copper tubing that I used on my 2 gen truck. I did not have any unusual noise before on my old truck but on the 6.7 I have a lot of engine noise apparently following the copper tube right up to the guage in the pillar. I checked for an air leak and do not have one. Has anyone else had this issue?

I will try to wrap some foam tape around the tube where it runs along the pillar and see if that helps.

I am also curious what others are seeing for boost guage readings and pyrometer readings on a stock 6.7l Thanks! The boost is not as steady as on my 2nd gen truck I am sure this is due to the VGT system.

I have seen my pyro temps from 1000 to 1300 I am assumeing that it is in regen when it climbs to near 1300? These temps were recorded at highway speed at 75 mph and 2100 rpm.
Old 01-25-2009, 04:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My '04.5 has a nice rattle coming through the boost guage tubing as well. It was a little annoying at first, but I've managed to file it in my mind as one of the noises my truck makes when all is well.

Where did you tap the boost from? I notice most folks who tap into the air horn don't have as much noise as those who tap into the intake manifold cover.
Old 01-25-2009, 09:19 AM

Adaminak,
Is your boost guage tubing copper or plastic? I used the copper in my '02 5.9and did not have this issue. Living up in the north country I just don't trust plastic in the cold climate. This 2008 6.7L is my first truck with common rail, I don't know if that would make things different as far as intake manifold noise or not. On the 6.7L the only way I have seen folks tap in for boost is through a boost bolt (hollow bolt), replacing one of the intake cover bolts. I am pretty sure my '02 never made the noise but, the new 2008 is so much quieter in the cab maybe the other one did and I just couldn't hear it.

I see your location is Iraq. If you are out there serving us, GOD BLESS YOU and ALL who have served and fought for our FREEDOM! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Old 02-02-2009, 04:49 PM

Still no luck on eliminating the noise has anyone else experienced this???
Old 02-02-2009, 05:23 PM

I have, but it is usually from the line laying against something like a fuel line or something similar that resonates. As a result the line vibrates clear up to the gauge inside the truck and drives you nuts.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Diesel fitter
Adaminak,
Is your boost guage tubing copper or plastic? I used the copper in my '02 5.9and did not have this issue. Living up in the north country I just don't trust plastic in the cold climate. This 2008 6.7L is my first truck with common rail, I don't know if that would make things different as far as intake manifold noise or not. On the 6.7L the only way I have seen folks tap in for boost is through a boost bolt (hollow bolt), replacing one of the intake cover bolts. I am pretty sure my '02 never made the noise but, the new 2008 is so much quieter in the cab maybe the other one did and I just couldn't hear it.

I see your location is Iraq. If you are out there serving us, GOD BLESS YOU and ALL who have served and fought for our FREEDOM! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Sorry it took so long to reply. I'm using the plastic tubing that came with the kit. I've got it secured pretty nicely so no worries about flexing and cracking when it gets cold. The easiest way to get a boost reading is the hollow bolt into the intake manifold, and that's where mine is (and where I get the noise from). On my '02, I drilled and tapped the intake plenum and didn't have any noise issues. If the noise is really bothering you, you can buy a CFM plenum that's already tapped and move your boost fitting from the intake manifold. It should insulate the rattle of the engine quite nicely. Another option might be to make a small rubber gasket for the bottom of the boost bolt, but I don't know how well it would actually work. Anything to insulate the tubing from conducting the injector/ignition noise should help though.

I appreciate the good wishes, and it's my honor to serve on your behalf.
Old 02-03-2009, 06:19 AM

I have been using the plastic hose without any problems for a couple years on my '05, and I do not hear any noise. Make sure the line is not touching anything else, and the fittings are snug.

When I thought I was having an issue with noisy gauges, it turned out to be the button for tow/haul. I just happened to put my finger on it, and the noise stopped.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:34 AM

What brand gauges do you have. I have Isspro's and the boost gauge has a subtle rattle when it reads in the 10-20 psi range. I got a new fitting for in the back of the gauge that quieted the noise considerably, but it is still there.
Will
Old 07-04-2009, 09:13 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
remove the copper tubing. I like using it too but did 2 guys truck with it and both had a rattle type noise. replaced with plastic tubing that the gauges come with and both are gone.
Old 07-05-2009, 03:10 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plastic/nylon tubing is the ticket. Had in my 97 for years with winters in the -30's and never a problem with it cracking.
Old 07-05-2009, 09:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Plastic/nylon tubing is the ticket. Had in my 97 for years with winters in the -30's and never a problem with it cracking.

Agreed. My gauge makes no noise at all and has been holding up great.