3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Where have you taken your mufflers to be installed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2006, 03:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where have you taken your mufflers to be installed?

I know most of you have installed your mufflers yourselves but I am unable to do it. I just ordered the MBRP replacemet muffler (MK96116) and am looking for a place to install. The one performance shop around me (not really diesel performance) has me hesitant about having them install it after talking to them. Sooooo will a typical place like Meinekee, Midas, Car-X etc etc, be able to simply cut out the stock muffler and fab this one in without hacking away carelessly at my stock muffler? (i want to keep my stock in good shape in case it needs to go back on)
Has anyone gotten one installed at a typical muffler place?

Thanks for the help
eric
Old 03-13-2006, 03:43 PM

It is real easy to do yourself.....sawsall.....cutoff saw and hand tools....w/ 1hr of your time. If you can't do it any muffler shop should be able to knock it off in less than an hour in the air...............If you got the MK96116 like I did it is just a bolt in install. The rear tail pipe section will have to be shortend by about 4".
Old 03-13-2006, 03:53 PM

theextricator,
When you installed yours where did you make the cuts with the sawzall? I know I have to cut the tailpipe section but was really wondering where you made your cut at the front of the muffler(how far forward of the muffler)? Do I need to buy the clamps or do they come with the muffler? Thanks for any advice sent my way.
Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 PM

Any muffler shop will be able to do the work. Nothing special is needed.
Old 03-13-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks for the help guys.

theextricator,

since you have to cut off about 4" of the tailpipe, does this change the location of the tip of the exhaust any? So technically, i could have them cut off 4" after the muffler so that it could be re-installed very easy...

With the offset from the stock system, the MBRP muffler is still a simple bolt-on install?

THANKS AGAIN
Eric
Old 03-13-2006, 06:42 PM

Unless your physically unable to do it, then I'd take it to the shop. the MBRP systems are so easy to use, save the money they'd charge you to install it and buy the band clamps, I love mine. Or buy a sawzal for the money. I always try to do it myself because I spend the install money on the tools to do it, and then I have 2 things, instead of one.
Old 03-13-2006, 07:24 PM

A muffler shop would probably be able to help. OK, just kidding. Take it to a place that has experience with diesel trucks. That's my advice, doesn't necessarily have to be a performance shop...just experienced.
Old 03-14-2006, 07:47 AM

You won't be able to simply reinstall your stock muffler at a later date if you cut it off. I cut mine off due to the stock clamps, as they really bent the stock pipes in. I could not remove the pipes so I had to cut them off. I cut the front of the muffler pipe about 2" from the muffler just where the forward pipe ended inside the muffler pipe. then I used a cut off wheel to slice the piece that was camped to the forward pipe. The rear of the muffler I cut it off even with the end of the muffler pipe knowing that I had to remove 4" anyway. Horsehauler.....yea the tailpipe remained in the current position with the 4" of pipe removed. Jheiser..yes I used the sawsall to cross cut the muffler out. After the muffler was cut out I used the cutoff wheel to slice the remaining skin off of the front pipe and tail pipe. 3 new clamps come with the kit.