3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Twin Turbo Install Quest.........

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2009, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Twin Turbo Install Quest.........

On the bottom turbo....how many of you out there has a brkt to help support it?? Or does the top turbo take most of it's wieght with the help of the exh. pipe??

Yes, I'm getting ready to bolt the turbos in and was going over everything to get my mindset when I realized the top turbo is going to take on most of the bottom's wieght in my kit, any way. I don't like the way this is and I'm going to end up fabbing a brkt to take alot of the wieght. Unless that's the way it's supposed to be.........
Old 01-04-2009, 10:04 PM

Whose kit are u useing? That will help to know. My MPI pipeing kit had a bracket that bolted the cold pipe to mani and that took some of the weight off of the bottom turbo.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM

This the kit from DPS. Most of the tubing is rubber except the elbow (hot pipe). The top turbo/man. carries most of the wieght via cast iron hot pipe. Sounds like I better fab up a brace/brkt. going from the flange (hot pipe) to the side of the block. There are two empty bolt holes and maybe use the motor mount on the block side.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:30 PM

Yea u can do that. It will help for sure and take the weight off top turbo
Old 01-05-2009, 12:30 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That bottom turbo I believe is a BHT3B. That is a heavy turbo and needs to be supported. Most supports I have seen (and what I had on my old 35/3b setup) attach a rod extending from the oil return fitting at the bottom of the turbo to a pre-tapped hole in the engine block located just down from where the turbo is located.
Old 01-05-2009, 04:12 PM

Pre-tapped.......that's the word I was trying to think of. There's two pre-taps on my block, so basically I'll fab a 'y' brkt with 'fingers' to bolt to the exh. flange of the BIG bottom turbo. What sucks is I have to install to find exact location.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:19 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It may help you to get an idea of what to fab, if you look a the install instructions for the BD R700s.

I was not overly impressed with these instructions, but IIRC there is a pic of the support and how it bolts to the turbo in the instructions. Not that, that is exactly how you want, or need to do it, but it may help you with the thought process.

Good luck.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:53 PM

That's where I thought on the 'fingers', but I'm going to the block for support instead of the ex. man./top turbo. If going from the top turbo or ex. man., in time the weight combined with heat would end up creating an exh. leak.......I'll set it up, hopefully with good results and not too time consuming, but ya know how that goes when fabbing. I was hoping to be having some fun on the streets by now....things happen that come before the truck and then the time it actually takes for me to get things done, but it's worth it in the end.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:04 PM
wap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My support bolts directly to the block in 2 tapped holes. It does not bolt to the manifold.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by mpracehemi
This the kit from DPS. Most of the tubing is rubber except the elbow (hot pipe). The top turbo/man. carries most of the wieght via cast iron hot pipe. Sounds like I better fab up a brace/brkt. going from the flange (hot pipe) to the side of the block. There are two empty bolt holes and maybe use the motor mount on the block side.
The only thing i could think wrong with the motor mount is this that the motor mount does not move and the moter needs to flex, you might want to attach it to something like the bell housing or motor itself so you get the same torque flexing, maybe i'm way off though, just the two pennies left in my pocket, by the way I think i'm going with the same kit this spring, just did the arps last weekend, shoot me a pm when your done with them and tell me all about it.
Old 01-05-2009, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by DENVERDODGE04
The only thing i could think wrong with the motor mount is this that the motor mount does not move and the moter needs to flex, you might want to attach it to something like the bell housing or motor itself so you get the same torque flexing, maybe i'm way off though, just the two pennies left in my pocket, by the way I think i'm going with the same kit this spring, just did the arps last weekend, shoot me a pm when your done with them and tell me all about it.
When I refered to the motor mount for a brkt 'leg', it was on the motor side-using the back bolt. The motor, as you did point out, has movement unless someone uses a motor plate to keep it stationary.

The kit is pretty straight forward except for the brace/brkt. The bottom turbo is a heavy so*. Bret pre-assembled alot of the items already. I've been in contact with another who's been running this setup and for the most part he's been happy with it. He did say he has a problem with a exh. leak, (since I brought this missing brkt to his atten.)possibly 'cuz of missing brkt that I'm going to fab. He wants my design......
Old 01-05-2009, 06:27 PM

yeah send me over some of those good ideas as well, where, what out of ect ect....
Old 01-05-2009, 06:35 PM

Well, basically I want the brkt to beable to hold the bottom turbo on it's own. What I fab., might not work properly on anothers' truck 'cuz of the slight variations.
Old 01-05-2009, 09:34 PM

I installed my tow twins from BD and they came with a bracket to support the lower turbo. Bolts directly into the block using two tapped holes.