3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Help! Back to square one with F1.8's and HTT

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 07:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! Back to square one with F1.8's and HTT

I have been running on timing 3 on the tnt for the past couple of weeks with better smoke control. Yesterday the smoke returned so I switched to timing 4, still bad. Today I was up against a rock in a very small dip and it took about 15 secs of black smoke before it moved. When I take off the smoke is very thick and it starts rattling and then it starts to build boost, this is with normal take offs from a stop, I can not even try a fast take off. It just seems it is over fueling. I live in the country so there are alot of 90 deg curves in the road and I smoke out every corner. I am about to take the inj and turbo off.!!

Any and all ideas welcome it has become a useless truck.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:21 PM

Also I am now getting some kind of noise at about 12psi boost. I will be checking for some kind of exhaust leak.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:50 PM

How new is your turbo? It sounds like what is going on with mine. The only thing is when it first started doing it, I would check all the boost line and pressure hoses, intercooler and seals to make sure everything was ok. Si I kept driving it for a few more days, and I got out of the truck after shutdown and listened to my turbo come to a grinding halt.

Needless to say I am awaiting my new turbo and will be sending this one back to HTT to have it rebuilt once I get it off.

Also, mine would blow smoke out under the hood and I could never find it. Well, to make it short, someone else watched to see where it was coming from and it was blowing out through one of the housings on my turbo.

Good luck, let us know what you find.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:59 PM

I think I have had this turbo for about a month maybe just a bit longer. I have about 2500 miles on it. I think there is something wrong with the turbo.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:55 AM

sounds to me like the injectors and your programing are most suspect

you may also have a blown head gasket = lots of smoke

the turbo should ok

need to isolate the boost leak

then try a 4.4 beta program instead of tnt

if smoke improves = less then your on the right track maybe don can also go through your injectors to make sure they in good shape

rattle is usually a timing problem which can cause head gaskets to blow sometimes causing damage to the head as a result
Old 08-01-2008, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by desertchecker
sounds to me like the injectors and your programing are most suspect

you may also have a blown head gasket = lots of smoke

the turbo should ok

need to isolate the boost leak

then try a 4.4 beta program instead of tnt

if smoke improves = less then your on the right track maybe don can also go through your injectors to make sure they in good shape

rattle is usually a timing problem which can cause head gaskets to blow sometimes causing damage to the head as a result
I was running 4.3 when I installed the injectors and turbo but it was undrivable about as much smoke as I now have. From the first day I have had smoke and boost problems.
Old 08-01-2008, 08:22 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The altitude will kill ya in the summer months with the added heat. The answer is smaller stix, but once the cooler temps arrive you will want larger injectors.

Are you the same guy that wanted larger injectors? LOL I remember something like this.

Look for boost leaks, every pound of air lost really makes a difference at low speeds at altitude.

Of course we can mkae you smaller injectors as well. Maybe a 1.2 VS the 1.8.
Old 08-01-2008, 09:32 AM
Banned

Your problem sounds exactly like what I experienced with the HTT 64/13SS turbo. Nothing but smoke, heat, and lag.
Old 08-01-2008, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
I was running 4.3 when I installed the injectors and turbo but it was undrivable about as much smoke as I now have. From the first day I have had smoke and boost problems.
I dont kow if it helps, but for me going from the Beta 4.2 to the 4.4 smoke was cut in half
Old 08-01-2008, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Don M
The altitude will kill ya in the summer months with the added heat. The answer is smaller stix, but once the cooler temps arrive you will want larger injectors.

Are you the same guy that wanted larger injectors? LOL I remember something like this.

Look for boost leaks, every pound of air lost really makes a difference at low speeds at altitude.

Of course we can mkae you smaller injectors as well. Maybe a 1.2 VS the 1.8.
Ya I was told to go with 2.0 and you said the 1.8's would be better. The thing that is strange is that for a couple of weeks running timing 3 things were better, then the smoke and lag got worse. Switched to timing 4 and with no help. And the noise at 12psi+ boost is strange.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:07 PM

I think I am going to try smaller injectors. If anyone wants some 1.8s please pm me. The injectors are listed in the classifieds.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:58 PM
DTR Advertiser

Originally Posted by CoolumConst
I think I am going to try smaller injectors. If anyone wants some 1.8s please pm me. The injectors are listed in the classifieds.
We can downgrade them. I would need to replace the nozzles to do so, but it is no problem. It would be your best bet, IMO.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:46 PM

Don, will a Helix cam help with this issue?
My truck smokes quite a bit in the heat, but with the smarty I can tune it out. It likes setting 3 in the heat but as soon as it cools I go back to #7.
Anyone running the Helix cam for this low end smoke issue please jump in here and talk to us.
I'm not sure I want to spend the money changing a cam but may need to.
Old 08-04-2008, 04:56 PM

Im sort of in the same boat with the same turbo. Im not having the lag/smoke to the extent you are having it sounds like, but I am seeing a good amount of smoke off the line. Seems there are a multitude of fixes, some say helix 2, I've heard injectors...but obvioiusly if your having overfueling issues thats not wise, and also Ive been told a looser converter may help my turbo spool faster. Its awesome when it spools, just a bit too much lag and smoke for me.

Anybody know what to do to clear up some of the lag other than lessening programming which will lower the daily driving power or going with twins?

Not trying to hyjack, just seems like we both could benefit from this knowledge!
Old 08-04-2008, 09:16 PM

I have gone back to the old 4.11 mild program...smoke is at a all time low with this program. I am running SW#5 After market injector SW and on Mild TQ. Smoke is way down compared to REVO or TNT, seems to spool the turbo sooner with less smoke, and make it easier to spool while cruising along.

You might want to give this a try....might work...might not...worth a shot!!!

Quick Reply: Help! Back to square one with F1.8's and HTT