3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Spray On Or Drop In Bedliner?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 08:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spray On Or Drop In Bedliner?

$500 for the spray in and $250 for the drop in, these are both what dodge offers. Is the dodge drop in good, and will it not cause rust...also, is it heavy and maybe cause less mpg? Opinions welcomened..thanks
Old 06-17-2006, 12:10 PM

I would definitely go with the spray in, but don't get Rhino lining, get the LineX. The LineX is quite a bit stronger than the Rhino lining.

Good Luck,

Mark
Old 06-17-2006, 03:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I had a drop in (though not Dodge's) in my last pickup, and have a spray in on this one.

The ridges of the drop-in would probably do a better job of keeping the floor of the bed from being dented if you drop boulders into the truck all the time, but eventually vibration and what not will cause a drop-in to scuff up paint.

I am much happier with the spray in liner and I feel it is worth the price. If I were to need to haul something that might actually smash the ridges of the steel bed, though, I'd probably have to put plywood or a pad down.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:09 PM
Banned

Ive had all 3
Line X
Rhino Liner
Plastic

Dont believe the hype about spray in. They get beat up really easy. Both spray in's have been rubbed away, peeled, gouged, slashed, cut, smashed, dented. That and their lifetime warranty doesnt cover any of that, so whats it good for???? They sudguested I glue the flaps back down

Not to mention that all 3 trucks beds were dented the fawk up, with mild useage.

My old plastic liner from my 94 Dakota was the bomb. I had 1 engine, 2 trannys, and 1 Dana 70 rolling around in the bed for over a week and it was fine. Had that been a spray in liner it would look like chop meat. Just go with a below the rail drop in and some bed rail caps.

Most people here are all on the Line-X bandwagon so they will tell you differently. If you want what looks best and will never put heavy items in your truck bed, go with a spray in.
Old 06-17-2006, 06:19 PM

Most people will tell you get the spray on (any brand, doesn't matter) and it is far superior to a bed-liner. There was a time I might have told you the same. I do have a spray in liner currently, but I have had many trucks with a drop-in liner.

The facts are:

You could probably find a drop-in liner cheap, maybe free if you look hard enough. People are always getting rid of them.

Drop-in liners will resist cuts and gouges far better than a spray in. They will also handle the impact of tools, rocks, etc far better.

The drop-ins will also look better for a longer period of time with out maintenance. ALL of the spray-ins fade and ash when left exposed to the sun.

A myth is that your paint will always get scuffed under a bed-liner. Not true. If you get an under rail liner, and install it correctly, your bed will remain factory fresh. (Before installation, apply a heavy coat of paste wax. do not buff it or wipe it out.)
Old 06-17-2006, 06:51 PM

I would look into Armacoat if its available in your area. Absolutely bullet proof!

Joe
Old 06-17-2006, 07:12 PM

I have a drop in, in my 01 and a spray in in my 05
i would say the my spray in is definetly heavier than my drop in. My 05 is my daily driver and i keep it clean (I dont leave things in the back for over a week and there is always a toneau cover on it. My spary in is definetly more resistant to damage than my drop in. Most dealers my way sub out the spray in liners. Just so happen the guy they subbed it to was a buddy. I though him an extra $50 and he layed it in there almost about 1/4" to 3/8" thick through out the bed. It is so heavy that when my truck was stock i could smoke the tires before the bed liner. and i couldnt smoke em after the bed liner.
Old 06-18-2006, 02:10 AM
Banned

Yes many people dont think about the added weight. Ive been told there around 400+lbs. That sucks in most aspects, especially if you like to drag race. That will cost you 4/10ths in on your ET..
Old 06-18-2006, 05:30 AM

Wow! 400lbs? I know my spray in doesn't weight more than 20lbs, because I sprayed it in myself! Only have a gallon in there. Of course it isn't nearly as thick, but after a year of sun abuse and mild beatings my Durabak looks pretty good. It is still pretty shiney and not at all grey. Of course I am still going to get a thick rubber mat for the bottom because if I throw heavy stuff in there, it WILL dent the bed.
Old 06-18-2006, 06:03 AM

Line-X it...!

Old 06-18-2006, 06:45 AM

what weighs more the plastic drop in, or the spray coating....i would assume the plastic drop in?????
Old 06-18-2006, 08:46 AM

I too have had both drop in spray in and a mat.

My 91 pickup was just a little babe magnet 1/2 ton LE and an occassional motorcycle or moving furniture when I got married is all it ever saw I kept it slicked up and it done well until I pulled it out all the paint was gone and I had done the wax deal prior to putting it in and several times when cleaning bed out. Took a 361 truck engine and allison tranny home for my uncle and it left a nasty place in the liner and bent the bed under neath but overal it was fairly tough.

I bought a 96 1 ton and was dicusted by the paint deal on the drop in so I put a mat in it. After driving to a swap meet my bride drove a little wild keeping up with me in a my old beat around truck and the fenderwells and bed sides were murdered. So this isn't the answer either. But where the bedmat layed the bed stayed pretty good shape. The only really agrivating deal was when pulling gooseneck trailer the bed mat would flap up and down jerk the trailer cord out and generally tick me off.

My current truck 2005 I said screw it I want a spray in. I chose linex over Rhino for obvious reasons and the cheapy spray in liners looked just that thin and cheap. Well linex could have used me for a sales pitch until I put a board across bed and went to rest my goosneck across the floor of bed to move the trailer a few feet. The print of the 2X6 was left in bed, don't think this would have happened with some drop ins like the one I had(pendeliner I think). Well no big deal it still looked good unless you were looking for the damage. I had to go to indy and bring a bare small mopar block back. It was well strapped down. When I got home I noticed a small chunk of Linex gone on the tail gate. So this is not bulletproof either. I like linex don't get me wrong, I paid for some additive to keep it shiny and it has worked so far. But I think if things rolled around in bed they would beat the fenderwells through the linex and it will scrape and tear from anything sharp or heavy as stated. Maybe a drop in on top of Linex would be the answer when you know you are testing the waters. I would have a bed mat on top of Linex if it were not for the turbulance making it flap when I tow. I have called Linex and they said if I leave it overnight they will fix the place it got torn out for free but that is a hassle for me.

I know this was long but hope it helps with decisions and expectations. Overall I would still do a Linex but I do realize it's limitations and would better preparfe for them next time.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:10 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up

I had a drop in on the 01 that took alot of abuse and held up and looked bad but the major thing is that lots of debris ended up under and around it. Tools would always slide around in the bed with the plastic drop in. I have a linex in my 06 and am more satisfied with it and the warranty covers the chopped out areas (edge of the bed rail from concrete being thrown in) when it happens. In my area anyway. My empolyees give the liner a hard beating when loading. If you were to use it for non construction use you would probably never have a mark.