3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Smarty Jr with Edge Insight CTS gauge monitor?

Old 06-15-2010, 02:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smarty Jr with Edge Insight CTS gauge monitor?

Does this sound like a good combo? I have an 07 5.9 CTD with 55,000 miles and just want sound added power, smoke and a way to monitor whats going on with the truck. I dont plan on adding anything else in the near future and the tranny is stock. I like the idea of the Edge juice with attitude because it comes with the turbo timer option but people seem to really like the smarty better than the edge. Any suggestions appreciated. Would the BD turbo cooler work with this setup?
Old 06-15-2010, 02:57 PM

id put gauges on the truck and get a smarty jr. the smarty isnt traceable and can be removed easily if you need any warranty work done. plus it has the lowest egts for a tuner.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 PM

I think it would be a very nice setup.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:19 PM

do it and let us know. i think the insight looks sweet and lots of cool features.

and once again any tuner is traceable. and lowest egts seems like everybody says that for a selling point. i know my buddies dodge his smarty ran his egts up the roof. then the smarty burned up his computer. so he went ppe hot2 and it would put the smarty to shame but the ppe ran his egts really really bad. but the ppe on his limited edtion badlander dirtymax the egts werent as bad as his cummins.
Old 06-16-2010, 02:47 PM

That combo would be my preference when I ever get the spare funds to finance it. Nice and clean install. People here seem to favour mechanical gauges but I like the all in one electronic monitors.

Let us know how it works out.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:28 PM

Fishbio: this combo is exactly what i am ordering friday.i have owned a smarty Jr. for a couple of years,and i am going to order the edge cts friday from XTR diesel.i thought about selling the smarty and running edge attitude cts,but changed my mind.i am a little concerned that the screen size is a little smallish.i spoke to a edge tech. last week ne told me the screen width is not 4.3" but 3.7"the 4.3 dimension is edge to edge of the case but he did say it displays the 3 gauge screen that is plenty large enough.i really do like the banks IQ screen but it is not available as a standalone monitor.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 PM

can you run the edge insight and the smarty at the same time?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:03 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by michael/edge
and once again any tuner is traceable. and lowest egts seems like everybody says that for a selling point. i know my buddies dodge his smarty ran his egts up the roof. then the smarty burned up his computer.
You are stating things that are rarely mentioned so please provide more details.

How is the smarty traceable?
What other mods did your buddy have, what were the actual EGT's?
How did a code change burn up a ECM?

I don't own a smarty but there have been enough posts on here about the product to say that your buddies experience is not anything close to typical.
Old 06-17-2010, 06:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by seveninc
can you run the edge insight and the smarty at the same time?
The Insight is just a monitor and does not conflict with any programmer.
Old 06-17-2010, 11:09 AM

I've got the 6.7, but run the same combo as what you're talking about. I have the edge insight plugged into the OBDII port. VERY clean install, does not mess with my A pillar at all. I like the smaller screen, I have egt, boost, trans temp and coolant temp. Once you get used to it, at a glance you can see what you need. Installing the smarty is easy and I researched the crap out of it before I bought it. I do not know how the smarty "burned up" the ecm. I just can't see it, defective ecm maybe?
Old 06-17-2010, 12:42 PM

You still have to install the EGT probe if you get just the insight correct? Anybody have the BD diesel turbo cool down timer also? I am debating a lot about either getting the edge juice with attitude cts so that I get the turbo cool down feature or does this come with the insight monitor? Thanks for all the help.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM

Yes, you still need the egt probe with the insight. There is no cool down timer as it just reads data.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
You are stating things that are rarely mentioned so please provide more details.

How is the smarty traceable?
What other mods did your buddy have, what were the actual EGT's?
How did a code change burn up a ECM?

I don't own a smarty but there have been enough posts on here about the product to say that your buddies experience is not anything close to typical.
i have nothing agaisnt smarty, i would love to have one but i just dont like programmers. i have a superchip flashpaq that was given to me as a gift but it sits under my seat . and the superchip ran my egts up bad when i played with it. any programmer is traceable, a few months ago i was reading diesel power and they had an article about how they can trace them. and when a deaslership goes to do warranty work there computers that they plug into your truck tell them if it has been chipped.

my buddies mods are unlimted. when he first got his dodge he did dual exhuast, gauges and the smarty. how it ruined his computer i dont know, thats what the diesel mechanic said and i would not call him a liar. this truck was built by g and j diesel. im sure they know there stuff. there a well known company and have the dirtymax that runs the 1/4 mile in around the 9 second area.

on my previous truck i ruined my computer with a tuner. why, that was cause of me. i left the radio playing, ac on and stupid stuff like that. i was young and didnt care.

any programmer you buy or pressure box they all say the same thing. the best bang for your truck, lowers egts,fastest downloading. its there selling points.