3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Raptor 150 Install - wiring issue.. help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2008, 02:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Raptor 150 Install - wiring issue.. help!

Okay I installed a Raptor 150 on the wifes 05 this weekend. Followed the directions to a "T". Modded the stock fuel canister (forgot camera so sorry no pics) but ran the draw straw down into the canister in the tank (removed the original dodge pump)... Fuel pressure is great...

However.. Wiring.. The Raptor instructions tell you to hook up the ground wire, then the power wire to an empty fuse with a spade connector. An empty fuse slot that is "hot" when the engine is cranking.

However, in this setup the pump runs all the time. There isn't a relay included with the RP150 (like my airdog has) so its just an inline fuse on the + side, and then a ground.

I don't understand why it would be wired up this way since the pump is on ANY time the key is turned on.

Should I have wired the + wire for the RP150 to the factory fuel pump positive wire? Seems like the wiring wouldn't be gauged properly to support that. What am I missing here?

Thanks!

Chad
Old 03-19-2008, 03:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wired my pump to be on when key is on. No problems.

I used the cigarette lighter fuse to power the relay for the pump. Hot for pump is directly off of the battery.
Old 03-19-2008, 09:04 AM

I thought the raptor came with a relayed wiring harness...weird...
seems like you could wire it to the factory power and have it run off the factory fuel pump power just like a airdog??? just use the factory fuel pump relay and trigger wire???
Old 03-19-2008, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by 53 ******
I thought the raptor came with a relayed wiring harness...weird...
seems like you could wire it to the factory power and have it run off the factory fuel pump power just like a airdog??? just use the factory fuel pump relay and trigger wire???
So are you saying to ties the + wire into the wire going to the factory fuel pump (orange w/red tracer, or other way around can't remember)

It didn't come with a Relay.. It's a little fuse box type thing.

I didn't want to run it off the factory pump power because I was worried that it would draw too much current.

The instructions tell you to take the + wire and put a spade connector on it and shove it into one of the open fuse circuits in the fuse panel (where one of the blades of a mini fuse would go)

Confused! My Airdog was easy.

Chad
Old 03-19-2008, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
So are you saying to ties the + wire into the wire going to the factory fuel pump (orange w/red tracer, or other way around can't remember)

It didn't come with a Relay.. It's a little fuse box type thing.

I didn't want to run it off the factory pump power because I was worried that it would draw too much current.

The instructions tell you to take the + wire and put a spade connector on it and shove it into one of the open fuse circuits in the fuse panel (where one of the blades of a mini fuse would go)

Confused! My Airdog was easy.

Chad

Charlie at pureflow, told me to run it to a keyed power source, instead of the factory fuel pump lead. due to the ECM only wanting 5 amps draw and the raptor can draw up to 12 amps. I ran mine to a keyed power source, and it runs great. Just unplug it at the pump when i'm changing tunes in the smarty.
Old 03-19-2008, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by kuhkuhkyle
Charlie at pureflow, told me to run it to a keyed power source, instead of the factory fuel pump lead. due to the ECM only wanting 5 amps draw and the raptor can draw up to 12 amps. I ran mine to a keyed power source, and it runs great. Just unplug it at the pump when i'm changing tunes in the smarty.
And that's exactly what I said...

Old 03-19-2008, 06:18 PM

Okay. Its wired that way now. Just didn't like it running all the time when the key was on.

I am wiring up a relay triggered by the factory lp wire so it doesn't do that.

Appreciate the help guys!
Old 06-26-2010, 08:35 PM

Ok, brought back an old thread as it pertained to my problem and just wanted to post the solution I came up with, might help someone in the future.

I just finished putting a Raptor 100 in my truck, but did it a bit differently. My stock lift pump still worked, but I have the commander and have noticed my lift pump pressure has been slowly getting lower and lower. Rather than wait for the pump to go completely, I decided to install the raptor. I went with it instead of the airdog for two reasons. First, I have the Baldwin 7977 in the stock housing and a cat 2 mic before the cp3. I really didn't need the extra filtration of the airdog. Also, by using the raptor with the canister upgrade kit, I was able to leave the stock pump operational as the raptor does not have a return line. I just had to cut the wire to the stock lift pump and put a couple connecters on it, this way if the raptor craters all you do is hook the wires together and the electrical part of the stock pump will work. You would also have to take the raptor line off the stock filter canister and re-hook the factory line to it.

Anyway, I also didn't like having the raptor running all the time, and the kit does not come with a relay wiring harness. I decided to put in a relay and use the stock fuel pump wire to trigger the relay, but didn't want to run another wire the the fuel pump so I decided to find somewhere closer to the fuse box to tie into it. If you remove the TIPM from it's holder ( there are two clips holding it in, one on each side) you will see four large plugs going into the back of it. There are a few orange wires with red tracer same as the stock lift pump wiring. The one you would want is on the lowest plug. It is the only orange with red tracer in that plug. Tap your relay trigger wire into there and you should be able to avoid having to run a wire all the way to the tank.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:51 PM

wha tis wrong with it running all the time the key is on? does it still run when key is turned back to acc just to like listen to radio. how does the factory pump run .
Old 12-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by 450r
wha tis wrong with it running all the time the key is on? does it still run when key is turned back to acc just to like listen to radio. how does the factory pump run .
Nothing is wrong... I've been running mine that way since 2005.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:11 AM

will it still run when you have the key turned backwards to listen to the radio. as you would not want that correct?
Old 12-12-2010, 10:49 AM

will it still run when you have the key turned backwards to listen to the radio. as you would not want that correct?
I do not think it runs in acc but i have not put key in acc that I could remember. Pretty sure it doesn't.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:39 PM

so what is the color of the factory lift pump power wire for my 05 and where do i find it other than at the plug on fuel module. pics please
Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 PM

so what is the color of the factory lift pump power wire for my 05 and where do i find it other than at the plug on fuel module. pics please
If it's not a monsoon here tomorrow (but it's supposed to be) I'll be able to run out and check on my truck for ya.