3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Performance Mods? new to CTD

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Mods? new to CTD

Hello all, I’m new to the CTD and diesel in general, I had to buy something that would pull my toy hauler, and that GAS V8 I had was struggling. The CTD does it with ease, I love my Dodge. This site has a load of great info too, it’s a great resource, and only bad thing is it’s making me spend more money….

I got a little over 10k my CTD now and I’d like to do a couple minor mods. I’d like to add an S&B Intake and an Exhaust delete pipe and get a set of gauges, but I do have a couple of questions.

1. Warranty, will these items void my warranty. I’ve done several searches on the site and it looks like it’s all up to my Dealer what will void my warranty. Do I need to ask my Dealer about these simple mods and warranty issues first?

2. What gauges do you guys recommend? I have a 25ft Toy Hauler, about 7500 loaded, not a huge load, but I do travel across country with it. I have an Auto tranny and from the searches I found I’m guessing at minimum EGT & Trans temp, what else?

Thanks in advance for any help and info.
Old 12-26-2006, 10:46 AM
Banned

typically gauges, intake, and exhaust don't void warranties...but will make the dealer suspect you have more than meets the eye on your truck.

Gauges- EGT definitely....tranny sure. I like the 3 gauge pod....so get a Boost gauge too. If nothing else, boost gauges are fun to watch

I would suggest DiProcol gauges. I had autometers and lots of headaches....Plus, if you decide to upgrade with more mods later, DiProcol is the only company right now making a rail gauge...which big HP trucks need.

Good luck to ya with the dealer! Don't get too addicted to these trucks...sometimes I think it might have been better if I didn't find this site!
Old 12-26-2006, 10:52 AM

1. Talk to your local dealer about mods and warranty. If nothing else, you'll know whether or not you have to put it back to stock before taking it in.

2. EGT, Tranny Temp are the most important for towing with no mods. You could also get a Boost guage and fuel pressure guage.
Old 12-26-2006, 11:03 AM

Greetings and Welcome.

I too looked at all the issues people were bring up about mods and warranty. I took the easy way out on the intake and installed the Cool Blue Hose, TAG, Cool Power mod to the airbox, and the Amsoil drop in. I have been more than pleased with this system, and best of all, so has my dealership. I installed the Isspro gauges(fuel press, boost, pyro), they match the stock gauges well and I like their illumination-it is well balanced in the gauges. I have since also added the DiPricol rail pressure gauge and it too matches the stock instruments and looks good with the Isspro. My family got me the Quad Zillaraider STD box for Xmas, so I will now have a setting for towing and if I want a little more power, it is there too. I have a little more mileage on my truck than you do, but the intake and gauges have been there from the start. Again, I discussed them with my dealership, we came to terms regarding their presence-my point made was that Dodge left us out in the cold with GOOD instrumentation, it WAS much needed, and I would NOT tollerate them giving me a hard time about installing them BECAUSE they would help with early diagnostics of a possible problem.

At this time, with 12K on the motor,etc I now feel better about doing some power and making a few changes that I would benefit from in performance. Game over on warranty, NO, because I will always be respectful in my operation and driving. There are tons of trucks out there with all kinds of stuff/mods and they are going down the road with great guns a'blazing and no problems. Granted there are some with problems, but they are in the minority.

Yes, you have the mod/upgrade fever like everyone else, and in not too long of a timeframe you sig will grow to a good-sized proportion. Welcome to OUR world owning, enjoying and loving your CTD.

CD
Old 12-26-2006, 11:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For my $0.02 EGT & transmission is great for me. The transmission will run about 160* in summer, mine spiked somewhere around 180* in the summer with a lot of stoplights and hills. locked out O/D and went easy on the skinny pedal and temperature came down fast. The transmission really climbs when backing the boat up my driveway . Now the EGT mostly use it for everyday shut down and towing watch it on some long uphill runs. Could get buy without EGT and get fuel pressure gauge instead. Warranty issues ask your dealer first. The one dealer close to my house were really weird about my gauges. They gave me chapter & verse quotes. So I tried another dealer further north and their mechanic thought gauges were a good idea but not really necessary. They even put in the new transmission line for the transmission sender. This summer with just under 13k miles the piston rod bearing went out while towing our boat (#6500 lbs). I had to agree to pay extra to tow the stuff to my dealer (the nice one). The dealer paid for the extra charge, and even gave me a gas QC to drive while being fixed. At the time they did ask me about my gauges and again I explained why I had them. They did not ever say another word. Look at my pictures in my gallery if you want.
Old 12-27-2006, 08:54 AM

Hey Guys, would I just go straight to the service manager and ask him?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:49 AM

yes

post too short. need words
Old 12-29-2006, 07:54 AM
Banned

one thing to remember that only applys to that dealer. dodge will send it to the closest dealer if you break and call them. if you are out on the road you are at their mercy. any mods done can void your warrantee on items that may be at risk from them. " I AM MY OWN WARRANTEE STATION" is a good one to remember when any mods are done. gauges make them wonder .
Old 12-29-2006, 08:32 AM

I agree with CD in NM, I like the ISSPRO gauges, you need some mechanical skills to put them in. I went with the Boost, Trans Temp, and EGT gauges, they match the factory and work well so far. I didn't mod the Air box I just did the K&N drop in filter, I have been running K&N for a long time. I bought the MAG-HYTEC Trans Pan and used the port on the pan for my temp sensor. I really like the MAG HYTEC product they make good quality stuff! It even came with a new filter. I bought the Quadzilla Module, but have had some problems with it, my dad has been running the edge juice and has had no problems with it for years now. The Modules really wake up those diesel engines I was amazed at the difference. I would recommened taking it out though for warranty work. Most dealers will void your warranty, unless you know them really well. My service manager told me it will void the warranty if I bring it in with the module installed.