3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New opinons regarding transmission fluid change (drain/filter/fill vs flush)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 03:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New opinons regarding transmission fluid change (drain/filter/fill vs flush)?

My transmission is coming up for service again soon. My dealer used to push their flush machine to do a total fluid exchange without removing the pan and without replacing the filter. That flush method was subject of criticism on this board and others. So, I have always insisted they do the drop pan/drain/filter change/refill method. Interestingly, they don't offer the flush any more.

I have a new mechanic who is a flush guy and swears by it. But, I have a hard time with not pulling the pan for inspection and not changing the filter.

Now that there's 13 or so years of history for the 48RE, is there any data out there that overwhelmingly supports one method over the other? How are you guys changing your transmission fluid?
Old 05-29-2016, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The pan comes off so easy with the oring gasket, while its off add a plug to it. I was just changing the fluid/ filter no flush every year, it's pretty easy.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:31 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
I agree with DTR Member crslush.

I NEVER do a transmission fluid change without dropping that pan, adjusting the bands and FOR SURE changing the filter. The filters get dirty and are there to keep the dirt from getting into the very small orfices in your transmission, especially the valve body.

-------
John_P
Old 05-29-2016, 09:13 PM

I have a "98 Dakota in addition to my 08 Ram. The flush method totally ruined my Dakota transmission to the tune of about 2200.00. All the transmission shops that I have asked about this insist changing the filter and screen and just the fluid in the pan is the only proper way to do it. Those quick change/lube places use the same oil for all makes and models and just change additives. Not cool. After two flushes, when my Dakota pan was dropped, it looked like it had never been changed even though it had been done religiously every 25k. The pan was full of trash, including large metalic objects.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:16 PM

Add to above post... a drain plug in your stock pan or an aftermarket one with higher capacity and a magnetic drain plug sure makes a messy job a lot less messy.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I agree that dropping the pan is the most important part, because the filter does need to be changed and the bands should be set. While I'm in there, I have always taken the time to exchange all the fluid with new, otherwise you're only replacing half the fluid. No, there's no way that exchanging the fluid can damage a transmission; a quart of fluid gets pumped out and is instantaneously replaced by a quart of new, under the pressure of the transmission's own pump. I think people get scared off by the use of the word "flush"; must make them think that a garden hose gets attached to the transmission to blast away big chunks of debris. Anyway, I've always treated all the automatics I look after that way, and have never had any disappointments.
Old 05-30-2016, 06:52 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thanks all for your confirmations. No flush machine for me.