3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

New law in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had min inspected last week...No muffler and 5 inch from the turbo back. As far as any kind of road or driving test,i have never had them do anything except drive it in a straight line in the parking lot,hit the brakes, reverse in a striaght line and hit the brakes again...Paid my $14 and was on my way. And this was in the HEB area where the cops Look for things to keep themselves busy.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:52 PM

Great.. I have to get mine inspected next month.. well, actually, that starts tomorrow.. I better not have to put my cat back on...
Old 11-01-2010, 09:42 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've always popped my cat back on just to be on the safe side. I asked the owner of my usual kwik inspection spot last time if they even look. He swore up and down that they do a full exhaust inspection, check for leaks, etc. I'm pretty sure he was BS'ing me big time. He also told me that there are beginning to be smog checks everywhere in DFW where they just mail you a bill if you are over. Really? A bill? Like a red light camera or NTTA? I've yet to see one... actually saw one on an on-ramp in Ft. Worth about five years ago. Who knows.

Also, anyone know if the resonator on the megacabs counts as a "muffler"? I'm pretty sure I'm on the safe side with that and a cat. And I drive sensibly, who am I really going to impress?!?
Old 11-02-2010, 09:05 PM

Guess I'll count myself lucky, here in NJ anyone with a vehicle 06 or newer (I think it's 06) recieved a 1 year extension on the new car inspection sticker, I'm not due for my first inspection until May 2011. Wont know what they will look for until then, but I've been told that since inspections have been privatized and not done by state DMV stations, they only really check exhaust emissions (not a problem for early 07 trucks) and brakes, more and more general things are getting through, hard to believe since all my other vehicles were inspected thoroughly in the past
Old 11-05-2010, 10:32 AM

Not sure how newer diesel vehicles are inspected, but my friend just went through with his newer WRX and all they did was plug it in. Has a muffler and no cat. They didn't even think twice at anything besides the OBD check and wipers/lights/horn.

-J

Sorry for the hijack.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Argo
I just got mine inspected.... I have the mbrp muffler but no cat, they didnt even look, they just pulled it in the garage and made sure the lights worked. Put on the sticker for the money and I left..... I like it like that.....
Same here. They never looked under the truck. The only problem I had was that the stupid 'bulb out' and corresponding dinging made them search the trucks lights real hard to make sure they were working. It was funny watching them hold their hands over the tail lights to make sure the brake lights worked.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Loud pipes on a motorcycle do nothing but ruin a relaxing peaceful ride, distract surrounding drivers of two ton automobiles, and **** your neighbors off. Safety on a bike is maintaining distance from other cars whereas installing loud pipes is all about the show.
Old 11-07-2010, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by nofatum
Loud pipes on a motorcycle do nothing but ruin a relaxing peaceful ride, distract surrounding drivers of two ton automobiles, and **** your neighbors off. Safety on a bike is maintaining distance from other cars whereas installing loud pipes is all about the show.
I disagree, the "loud pipes save lives" is very true! I am a living testimony of it!

If you all would just move to OK you wouldn't have to worry about the "annual inspections". Haven't done one since May of 2001!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:35 PM

Had mine inspected last month. With a 4" silverline cat back and Smarty Jr. set to level 3. The kid inspector, keep revving the engine, left it running the whole time, and put a sticker on my window

They will fail for wiper blades.
Old 12-09-2010, 12:22 PM

This law sucks. My inspection is up soon, rig is still stock, warranty finally ran out, so about the time I get to mod this thing out, gotta comply w/ the new rules
Old 12-09-2010, 08:52 PM

My honda failed because of the windsheild wipers. The kicker is the tires were baby bottom smooth at the time.