3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

New law in Texas?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I understand the carbon cap charge is coming. The new administration wants to put a meter to monitor discharge levels on exhaust systems and tax it. Never know with this group
Old 05-14-2009, 02:05 AM

Always SOMETHING! i'm so glad we can keep these people employed!!
Old 05-14-2009, 10:40 AM

A friend of mine, said he heard, that the gov wants to ban deisels, at truck, and tractor pulls. Might just be a rumor, but I wouldn't put anything past the idiots, in the gov, and e.p.a.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:42 PM

Hmmmmm maybe we need to vote. Vote the jokers out. Think about how many voter on here that like trucks could sway a "pollyticians" way of thinking, they are greedy to the point a few votes could sway them to vote no on crap for diesels. Enough getting fired up over the greedy people. I have a feeling it's "New Laws" coming in a bad way. Cherry Bombs, Lake Pipes, Dumps, Cutouts, Dual Straights, water hosing glass packs must have some dudes with grey hair "distiction" on here bout my age. Guys play the outta site outta mind game on the naysayers and the pain will ease. Good luck and have fun.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:24 AM

If anyone needs to get inspected soon and doesn't want to hassle with changing their exhaust setup yet, try this. Wait till a rainy day and go to get inspected. The last time I got inspected, it had been raining all morning. The inspector didn't drive my truck, citing safety reasons due to the wet roads. He didn't even crank it up! He just ran down the list of lights, blinkers, horn, seat belts, etc., and started putting my new sticker on.

I figure if you have a real loud truck that going on a rainy day might keep them from driving it, and thus noticing the louder exhaust, and thus forgetting to check for the factory muffler.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by cwgtex
If anyone needs to get inspected soon and doesn't want to hassle with changing their exhaust setup yet, try this. Wait till a rainy day and go to get inspected. The last time I got inspected, it had been raining all morning. The inspector didn't drive my truck, citing safety reasons due to the wet roads. He didn't even crank it up! He just ran down the list of lights, blinkers, horn, seat belts, etc., and started putting my new sticker on.

I figure if you have a real loud truck that going on a rainy day might keep them from driving it, and thus noticing the louder exhaust, and thus forgetting to check for the factory muffler.
I doubt he would have driven it if it wasn't raining. Law states that it must be driven to be fully tested, but you have the right to refuse inspection when the roads are wet. (testers discretion) I worry less about my exhaust than I do my window tint.
Old 06-02-2010, 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by cwgtex

They never drive it anywhere, they dont do a road test, they see if it stops in the parking lot(and if the ebrake holds), check lights, horn, turn signals, etc. Its still safety only for diesels, honestly they dont ever care, they arent held accountable for not meeting emissions requirements if they dont test any of that. Ive had one place hassle me for tint, went right down the road and havent had any problems in the last 5 years with any of my diesels...
I havent ran a muffler on any of them, all 5" straight pipe of stacks and they have never even looked at the exhaust.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:07 PM

We went through this in PA years ago. Just put a fake muffler on it and keep your foot out of it when you should. Our law says if it came from the factory with a muffler it must have a muffler installed on it. Doesn't say it has to be a functional muffler or amy max Db. levels
Old 06-02-2010, 09:14 PM

Yes, must have muffler in Texas. Here's something: search Ebay for "diesel shorty muffler" and get one.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:18 PM

Try searching Ebay for 'worlds loudest fake muffler" also. I've seen them in 4" but not in 5" yet but I am sure someone will make one.
Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by SpeedyWS6
I worry less about my exhaust than I do my window tint.
Me too!! My tint should not pass inspection ( but really helps keeping the heat out), but I have not had them say anything yet. I usually roll down the front windows before I pull up just in case. They never roll them up. I never had them even look under the truck. Most of the time they are happy just to check the basics, I pay the $14.50 and I'm on my way.
Old 06-03-2010, 05:46 PM

NOT that I'm a fan of straight pipes, but someone might try just slipping a muffler over the end of your stack to get by at the inspection station. Just pull up and slip it on in the lot, then take it back off before you leave. Before you invest the money you might want to check the wording of the law. I can't imagine the location is called out do to so many "outfitter" designs requiring different exhaust placement.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by JFlory
This is too true.

For some time now the "idiots" of the diesel performance crowd have showed nothing but DISRESPECT to other drivers, nieghbors, and bikers.

It was always just a matter of time before this stuff started making people mad enough to write letters looking for new laws.

For years I have told guys to keep it on the track, or even the back roads. For years I was laughed at and called paranoid.
Welcome to 2010. When diesels will all be quiet and smoke free. No more fun.

Just want to personally thank every EDIT that thought it was cool to smoke out that cyclist or intersection, and couldn't help but kackle your straight pipes threw a residential area at 1am.
Without you, states and county's wouldn't have thought about the extra income from smogging diesels.

J.D.
Yup, tired of it. Even more so with motorcycles. I'm sitting outside now, late, and I can hear some ricers AND Harleys from over a mile away. In the city.

A few, a rare few, was sort of fun. But everywhere, all the time? No, I shouldn't be able to hear your truck or motorcycle or whatever from any farther than a Toyota. Noise pollution is lousy enough, but a world of 14-yr olds on their toys, time to end it. Same for ghetto stereos.

Old 06-10-2010, 04:01 PM

No cat, stock muffler here, nice quiet rumble. I like some loud exhausts, but slow cars, trucks, and bikes should be quiet. So tired of loud harleys, they make so much noise, block traffic, drive slower than the posted speed limit, and just keep looking around to make sure everybody is looking at them.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:16 PM

I've never had them look under my truck. They check the "safety" stuff and stick the sticker. I ride Harley's but don't want a loud truck. The Harley is loud because it keeps me safe! I'll keep my muffler on my truck and continue to be courteous to others, that includes exhaust smoke, tire peeling, stereo's and loud exhaust.....it's called common courtesy and not having it results in BS laws such as were writing about!

Quick Reply: New law in Texas?