Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

New law for window tint in Texas (and link to other new laws)

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New law for window tint in Texas (and link to other new laws)

Takes effect September 1, 2009:
"Vehicle inspection: SB 589 requires that a vehicle equipment safety compliance label be placed on a windshield, side or rear window stating that the window tinting complies with the appropriate provisions of the Transportation Code. Failing to place the required label on the vehicle could lead to a $1,000 fine."

So do we get the sticker at the same time we get out annual inspection done? Will inspection shops have to purchase an opacity meter? Or is it up to us to get this done somewhere?

Click here for more new laws

~Rob
Old 08-11-2009, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The installer is supposed to put the sticker under the tint when the work is done. The popo has a meter that can check the darkness of the tint. I don't think the inspection station can do anything. I think the fine applies to the installer.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:45 AM

Clarification on this topic would be great. I am currently in Japan but will be back in Tx right after this goes into effect. Would be pretty heated if I get a 1k ticket after coming home to new laws that are unclear.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:47 AM

i believe that the fine will go to the tint installer.However if your tint is too dark you will get a fine also. Also just so yall know if both front windows are down and a officer ask to check the tint you do not have to let them .
Old 08-12-2009, 08:40 PM

when you get your inspection they suppost to check your windows. I had to find a different place once. Also the trooper rolled up my window himself once too.
Old 08-12-2009, 08:47 PM

jckdann7 just so you know any cop can not leagally do that if both front windows are down. The only way they can do it is if they have a warrent. Also as far as i know the law has not changed that if you drive a 3/4ton or lager truck with farm plates that the driver does not have to wear a seat belt.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:05 PM

when it happen years ago, i really didnt think that they could but i was like 16 or 17 and wasnt gonna fight him. my girlfriend couldnt get her car done because of the tint.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:13 PM

yeah just look at the laws because 9 times out of 10 the troopers and officers here in texas dont even know the laws themselves. Also just someother helpful hints.

a unmarked police car can not stop you with out a marked car on site in the state of texas.

If stopped for speeding it is your right to request to see the last time the rader was calibrated.( there are certian times during each sift it must be done)

just read the laws it really comes in handy. plus it keeps me occupied in class
Old 08-12-2009, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by rednekroper05
jckdann7 just so you know any cop can not leagally do that if both front windows are down. The only way they can do it is if they have a warrent. Also as far as i know the law has not changed that if you drive a 3/4ton or lager truck with farm plates that the driver does not have to wear a seat belt.
you better read hb 537
Old 08-12-2009, 10:10 PM

when did it change this was information coming from a deputy sheriff last year. so that means it would have had to change recently. also what part of hb537
Old 08-12-2009, 10:44 PM

now that i have looked at house bill537 and it does not modifiy the clause of a farm truck.
this still stays the same

sec 545.413 E
(6) The person is operating a commercial vehicle registered as a farm vehicle under the provisions of Section 502.163 that does not have a gross weight, registered weight, or gross weight rating of 48,000 pounds or more.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:14 AM
DWK

Originally Posted by rednekroper05
yeah just look at the laws because 9 times out of 10 the troopers and officers here in texas dont even know the laws themselves. Also just someother helpful hints.

a unmarked police car can not stop you with out a marked car on site in the state of texas.

If stopped for speeding it is your right to request to see the last time the rader was calibrated.( there are certian times during each sift it must be done)

just read the laws it really comes in handy. plus it keeps me occupied in class
Are you sure about these?
For one an officer can not calibrate his or here radar. that has to be done by a shop. The officer can use tuning forks to verify the calibration.
The way I understand the new law on unmarked police cars is you can not file evading arrest if the person fails to stop for an unmarked, instead you must have a marked unit help with the stop if they refuse. But you can still stop them.

I agree officers are often not sure of new laws, but how can we be. Most laws contradict themselves.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

There is also a difference between an unmarked car and a subdued car. Up here the law says it has to be recognizable as a patrol car, doesn't say it has to stick out like a sore thumb. "Slick-tops" are suppose to turn over a pursuit to a standard marked patrol car for traffic safety visibility, but they have full authority. Just trying to add some perspective to the public perception.
Old 08-21-2009, 02:40 AM

In Texas you are allowed to keep driving at night if an unmarked car tries to pull you over, until you can reach a well lit area within public view. It does not allow you to simply not pull over.

During the day I am not sure if this still applies. Maybe if your on a rural area where you don't want to be pulled over by a physco posing as a cop. There are always ways to fight it, you just need to be able to clearly justify that you were not simply refusing to stop just because.

Also I would still like to know more about this tinted window thing. I am coming home in 2 weeks, would be great to understand the law before I get there. Any chance one of you fellas could call the DMV or a DPS office and ask for clarification?