Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Texas window tint laws?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Texas window tint laws?

I was curious if anybody knew the legal percentage of tint a vehicle can have in Texas? I am wanting to get mine blacked out pretty good, and If I did go over the legal limit, will they bother me for it? I saw a guy that just put what he said was 5% on his 02' and wow, it was DARK! I dont want it that dark, but still pretty dark. Any Input? Thanks!
Old 11-11-2006, 05:01 AM

From the Texas DPS website:
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/publ...manual/ch6.htm

25.30 Window Tinting or Coating
1. Inspect for and reject if: (All year models)
a. Tint or coating is extending more than 2 inches below the top of the windshield
b. Tint or coating has more than 1 inch border at each side of windshield
c. Tinting or coating and any vision restricting materials are not above the topmost portion of the steering wheel
d. Windows, immediately to the right and left of the driver, which open, have less than 70% light transmittance
e. Check calibration before rejecting vehicle
Old 11-11-2006, 05:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mean no disrespect but, can you tell me what the attraction is to having dark windows? I think that it would be more of a hazard than anything else. I'm just curious as to the reason.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 PM

Take your pick!

It saves your interior from being BBQ'd by the hot sun.

If you drive a standard cab truck it goes a long way toward keeping the sun from BBQing the back of your neck.

It reduces glare from headlights at night, from parking lot lights, from passing cars windows, and from snow in the winter.

Sunglasses drive me up the wall; the less I have to wear them the better.

It helps control the temp inside the car , making your air conditioner work much better, a big plus for all of the megacablimo owners that have that problem.

Tinted glass makes any vehicle look better.

It helps diguise your valuables should you forget and leave them in plain sight.

It helps control the glass in the event of breakage, should they see the valuables you forgot .

If tinted in a film that follows most states laws (35%) then it is not a hazard and I believe a help in most situations.

I sound like a salesman, but I do all of my own vehicles and anyone I know. I have tinted over 500 cars in the last 14 years. The key is good film and good technique, not the stuff down at Autozone.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:16 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Have you ever looked out a tinted window? they reduce a gob of glare and thus your not squinting all the time and at night they cut down the head lights though the sides and back window. They are not dark mostly a off tinted gray scale. I am doing my back window drivers and passenger side in the same percentage as the back quad doors.
Old 11-11-2006, 06:37 PM

Sun

Originally Posted by Shanajustin

If you drive a standard cab truck it goes a long way toward keeping the sun from BBQing the back of your neck.

It reduces glare from headlights at night, from parking lot lights, from passing cars windows, and from snow in the winter.

Sunglasses drive me up the wall; the less I have to wear them the better.

It helps control the temp inside the car , making your air conditioner work much better, a big plus for all of the megacablimo owners that have that problem.

Tinted glass makes any vehicle look better.

It helps diguise your valuables should you forget and leave them in plain sight.

It helps control the glass in the event of breakage, should they see the valuables you forgot .

If tinted in a film that follows most states laws (35%) then it is not a hazard and I believe a help in most situations.

I sound like a salesman, but I do all of my own vehicles and anyone I know. I have tinted over 500 cars in the last 14 years. The key is good film and good technique, not the stuff down at Autozone.
I have all 5 windows in my truck dun front / back also the back sliding window. And as far as safety look at school bus's thy even have it Dun here in the South to keep it cooler and not seeing threw them.
Look down in FLA. even old people have 50% tint.
Old 11-11-2006, 08:09 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I had my windows tinted within a week of buying my truck.
I have mine done a bit unusual. I have and extended cab truck, the back side windows are almost blacked out. The door windows and the side windows of the sliding back window are 75%. The center of the back window is 50%.
I keep the back window open most of the time except when its really hot or cold. That is why I went lighter in the center.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:30 PM
Muted User

When I was 20, I wanted them dark as possible, now I'm 40, I need them lighter because I can't see half the things at night that I could before.Don't stand to close to the corner of a street when I take a turn at night, I'll probably just clip ya!

edited by admin
see how easy it is to stay
within the site posting rules
and still get your point across?
Old 11-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Banned

I've heard anywhere from 20% to none at all is legal in texas. Mine are at 30% on the front and 20% over the factory tint on the back. No issues with the popo's.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:00 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by fschiola
I mean no disrespect but, can you tell me what the attraction is to having dark windows? I think that it would be more of a hazard than anything else. I'm just curious as to the reason.
We run 5% on the back window and 0% on the back sides with 20% on the front sides of my K9 vehicle. Before they put the tint on, it would get very hot in there. It will still get hot in the summer but when you're running down the road, I barely have to keep the A/C on keep it cool even when it's 95 degrees outside. It also keeps people from being able to see inside and then wanting to come up to the car and play with the dog, which is a misdemeanor by the way.
Old 11-12-2006, 06:59 PM

tint

If you are having it done commercially in Texas, any good shop will tell you what is legal.
Old 11-12-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Shanajustin
The key is good film and good technique, not the stuff down at Autozone.
is that a Fairmont in your avatar? or a malibu? hard to tell
Old 11-12-2006, 07:29 PM

It does help to consider the pros vs negatives.,,

A few negatives would be nighttime close manuevering/backing.. I stick my head out my window to look and my windows aren't tinted much.. even after adding kc backup lights i still cant see jack outside looking out mirrors.

Tint "usually" attracts theives.

Tint does prevent you from making eye contact and signaling other drivers should the need arrive... IE stop signs, lane changes.. especially at night... People cant see you check a blind spot with tinted windows to anticipate your next move..

Tons of pros and cons.. personal preference i suppose.

I like "medium" tint myself, just have to be more careful driving.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Forrest Nearing
is that a Fairmont in your avatar? or a malibu? hard to tell
1979 malibu coupe with entirely too much money in it. 355, overdrive, 4:10 gear disc brake rear end, big stereo, Hand built interior, dark tint of course. It usually sits insided with it's PJ's on and comes out on friday nite Sonic cruises.

It's the reason I have a CTD. I got tired of hauling it's 4200 pounds on a 2100 pound trailer with a half ton gasser. Just a little unsafe in my book.
Old 11-12-2006, 08:36 PM

Interior:

I've done everything on the car except lay the color and clear.

That's enough thread hijacking from me....TINT the windows.....as you were gentlemen.....

Quick Reply: Texas window tint laws?