3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Modified camshaft sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 05:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by qzilla
So do you guys just want an adjustable timing only box? That would not be difficult to do. Say up to 12degrees?

Now with that said here are some things to think about:

If you do very much the ECM does not like it if the camshaft signal does not fall into the set parameters for what the crank is telling it. This is why TST uses both signals.

Timing alone with a change in the fueling curve will most likely not give much mileage gain, at least at 2deg. The main problem is that even moving the injection event into the cylinder earlier you have not really changed its efficiency. You will want to have slightly more fuel early to burn and then letter it taper off throughout the stroke. This effectively makes torque down low and the rate of acceleration of the engine will increase. You don't need a lot of fuel, but to see much of a gain you will need something to change the curve. If you advance the timing further the ecm will fuel slightly more on its own. I am not sure why, but I just know it does.

A resistor won't work it is not just a voltage.

If you are going to change the timing it needs something to map off of, like the map sensor. You don't really want to advace until you have some fuel available.

I have played with timing a bunch. Actually something we are working on will likely go back to using the two sensors along with the data link. I never thought a timing only box would be popular? Maybe I was wrong?
Yes, a bunch of us want only fuel economy and would be interested in a timing only box.

I am not holding my breath on the "do everything infinitely adjustable in the cab box". There are simply too many combinations to do it reliably for all ambient conditions.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:21 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
One thing I have noticed so far other the truck is running really good is the drop in EGTs. Appears to be anywhere from 100-150 degree drop in temperature. I have yet to see the EGT go pass 1000 degrees. Usually I will see around 1150 running hard with no load.

MikeyB
Old 07-26-2005, 02:21 PM

Originally posted by MikeyB
One thing I have noticed so far other the truck is running really good is the drop in EGTs. Appears to be anywhere from 100-150 degree drop in temperature. I have yet to see the EGT go pass 1000 degrees. Usually I will see around 1150 running hard with no load.

MikeyB
Have you noticed an increase in power, and how is that fuel mileage?
Old 07-26-2005, 02:44 PM

Let's put it with the TST and see what happens.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:57 PM

Big Joe,
I have seen a slight increase in performance below 2k rpms. Especially right off of idle. Can't speak on the mileage since I just installed the sensor and now I'm in China for several weeks. Should have a mileage report after the Labor day weekend.

MikeyB
Old 07-27-2005, 07:01 PM

Any increase in performance is a plus. I just got mine today and I will install it on Saturday. I would like to do it tonight, but it is 110 degrees out there.
Old 07-28-2005, 02:23 PM

Thanks for the info, I am dying to see how fuel mileage will be affected.
Old 07-28-2005, 07:35 PM

I am going to install it Saturday AM. The weather is cooling down some, 106 today. Otherwise I would do it now. Nothing like crawling under a hot truck on a hot, humid day.
I am going to fill up Saturday after I change the sensor. It will take me a couple of weeks to burn off enough fuel to get a good reading unless I take a road trip. It wouldn't take much talkin' to get me to go to Flagstaff, or Signal Mountain south of Globe, or Mtl Lemmon... Yeah, dream on.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:18 PM

Originally posted by digger5.9ho
Let's put it with the TST and see what happens.
Ditto that, inquiring minds want to know
Old 07-29-2005, 07:01 AM

leaving today for a 2200 mile trip towing an flat front and heavy enclosed car trailer. Return on Monday and will post towing results. It's a quick trip so I will NOT be driving for mileage but will give you the MPG an towing seat-of-the-pants eval.
Old 07-29-2005, 11:49 AM
RN1

I have had this sensor installed for about 500 miles now. In that time, I was able to run an entire tank through, and my hand calculated mileage went up 1.1 MPG. This tank was mostly in town driving, and came out to 14.7, usually been running around 13.6........Also, the EGT when cruising at 65MPH was running about 700, now runs closer to 600. Another thing I noticed, I used to have to shut the AC off to get the EGT down to ~300 before shutdown, now it will go to ~250-275 with the AC still running. Seems like it was worth the investment to me, hope this helps...Robert
Old 07-30-2005, 01:02 AM

RN1,
Thanks for the mileage update.

MikeyB
Old 07-30-2005, 08:17 AM

Great news for the EGT's, my truck is exactly like yours in the temps area.

:hint, hint: (VENDERS PLEASE READ)

Now if we could just get a vendor to become a middle man and make a deal with this guy to have him make about 100 of these for a couple bucks less (lot quanity), and then charge us the regular current price for a unit that is already modified. Save us the run around, and they would make a couple of easy bucks, heck most would probably go as high as $100.00 a unit if it was ready to install, I know I would.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:26 PM

I installed mine today. First thing I noticed was the linear acceleration. I am so used to feeling that surge as the tach swings passed 2K, I can hardly feel it any more. It feels like a real strong normally aspirated gasser. I haven't had it on long enough to report fuel milage except I normally reset the computer after a fill up. I did that this evening and I usually get 19.5 to 20.0 coming back from the station. This time it was 21.5, but I had to take it easy because of traffic and the wet roads. The back end like to step out if I have too much go peddle. Over all I thnk it is an improvement and I really like the acceleration from low down.

There are some comments in the instructions about the temps being lower and how you should not try to warm you truck up by idling. My pyro is busted and I set my BDDL back to stock a couple of week ago. It must be some kind of Illusion, but with the combination of my FASS and this crank sensor, it feels like the BDDL in tow mode except no smoke.

ROKK says that this sensor advances the timing 2 degrees. Correct me if I am wrong but that would mean 1 degree for the cam. That is, one degree longer the exhaust valve is closed and maybe taking advantage of the third injection event to make more power. Is there enough of the hot exhaust getting to the cat to burn off the deposits in it?

Now I can hardly wait to get my pyro fixed so I can crank up the BDDL. I bet I get less smoke and more power with it too.
Old 07-31-2005, 12:13 AM

Ron,
Did you noticed that the truck doesn't bog down if releasing the clutch quickly from a dead stop? Mine would if I released to fast starting in 2nd gear. Now it doesn't. And now pulls easily in 3rd gear at idle.
I'm missing my truck now.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Modified camshaft sensor?