3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Modified camshaft sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 10:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got started in to the tuner/module largely for the mileage gains to be had. Sure, the extra HP was nice, but that was secondary to the mileage I was hoping to get. I'm sure there are plenty of guys out there that this is appealing to. I've seen countless posters complaining about MPG but wanted to leave their truck stock, for fear of tearing up something.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
blown32,
Did you get the modified sensor back?

I'm shipping mine to Rokktech today.

MikeyB
Old 07-14-2005, 07:15 AM

MikeyB,

Got it last night and will instal it tonight. Then test drive. Then post. I will be taking a nontowing interstate trip this weekend so I will post results from that on Sunday.

BTW put on my BHAF (VERY tight fit) and homemade intake tube last night, so far so good.
Old 07-14-2005, 07:41 AM

Cool. Can't wait to hear the results.
Hopefully I can get mine back and installed before I leave on a business trip to the far east in less than two weeks.

MikeyB
Old 07-14-2005, 10:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by blown32
MikeyB,

Got it last night........
So, any clue upon your first visual inspection as to how they are doing it? Anything "visually" modified?
Old 07-14-2005, 10:23 PM

MikeyB,

Installed: First seat-of-the-pants impression is better throttle response and engine sounds very good. It's a little tight around the sensor so instal was not hard but a small pain, took about 15min.

Looking forward to the trip this weekend to check MPG.

AK RAM,

It's just as they describe on the website. Cut, modified, and reglued. The modification allows the sensor to be rotated up to gain the extra timing. Looks like someone could do it at home but knowing how far to go could take some trial and error (and a messed up sensor or two).
The only thing that bothers me is that with the modification you are left to rely on the one cap screw (5mm allen wrench) with loctite to hold it in position. The stock one uese the screw and an o-ring. I will check it often, but worse case it will fall back to the stock position.

BTW, Thanks, I have gotten a bunch of info from your past posts!

Allen
Old 07-15-2005, 07:03 AM

Great info! Wonder if a little shim can be installed to prevent the sensor from rotating back into it's stock position?

MikeyB
Old 07-15-2005, 07:23 PM

Is this a candidate for a DIY project? Can you forward details on how the camshaft sensor was moved?
Thanks
Old 07-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Originally posted by T & T
Is this a candidate for a DIY project? Can you forward details on how the camshaft sensor was moved?
Thanks
Don't know but I will post pics comparing the stock sensor with the modified version. Will also do some measurements.

MikeyB
Old 07-16-2005, 10:38 PM

This is a pretty exciting thread for me. I have followed it from the beginning because I have an 03 6spd and I'm reluctant to make the jump to high performance stuff not really understanding what is entailed as far as warranty issues or potential long range motor damage. I dont tow too often but like to beat the fords up gruelling grades. Fuel economy is i guess most important. I will do intake and exhaust with a clear conscience this new idea sounds goood is there a way to mark this thread? I will be mad if I never find it again so Im staying here till someone tells me how
Old 07-16-2005, 10:46 PM

is there a way to mark this thread? I will be mad if I never find it again so Im staying here till someone tells me how [/B]
Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the link that says "subscribe to this thread".
Old 07-19-2005, 07:08 AM

Blown32,
Any updates to report?

MikeyB
Old 07-19-2005, 07:18 AM

Regretfully I was not able to make the road trip this weekend so I don't have any MPG figures yet. My trip to So Cali (Riverside/LA area) is still on for the 30th. I will be hauling a empty enclosed car trailer on the way out and a 58 T-Bird on the way back. Wish I could make the trip out a bit more usefull (hate to waste an empty trailer).

She is running great with no ill affects. His instructions mention something about increased noise being possible at start-up but none so far.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:21 PM

any updates?
Old 07-21-2005, 07:17 PM

I just received the Rokktech sensor. It appears that Rokkech shaves about .080" off of the thickest area of the sensor that slips into the aluminum bracket. This allows the sensor to rotate for the additional 2 degrees.
I posted a pic in my photo gallery.

MikeyB

Quick Reply: Modified camshaft sensor?