3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Modified camshaft sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 07:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Modified camshaft sensor?

Anyone tried this sensor that adds +2 degrees of timing?
http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...d.php?t=133663

MikeyB
Old 06-29-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Camshaft sensor???

I think you will find this is a crankshaft sensor.
Old 06-29-2005, 12:54 PM

Re: Camshaft sensor???

Originally posted by SCClockDr
I think you will find this is a crankshaft sensor.
You're right. It is the crankshaft sensor.

MikeyB
Old 06-29-2005, 02:40 PM

So, back to the original question, has anyone used this, and how did it work for you, Fuel mileage/power ect.
Thanks in advance Joe
Old 06-29-2005, 03:08 PM

There must be someone using them. They run out of stock and they are asking customers to go to Cummins and get the stock part, then send it in for modifications. I am tempted to do it.
Old 06-29-2005, 03:17 PM

So am I, I hope someone pipes up.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:01 PM

It seems like a good idea to me but I am wondering why we can't just do the mod to our owen crankshaft sensor. I maybe wrong but all you would need to do is advance the sensor 2 degrees so it would pick up the signal and send it to the PCM , maybe some one will pipe in with more knowledge. My truck is stock so this seems like a great way to go.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only problem I see with this is the guy says their sensor is advancing timing as much as they can without the truck running like crap. If that is the case and you used one of these, you may never be able to use a box that advances timing, like the TST, Juice, Xzillaraider, etc.....
Old 06-29-2005, 04:36 PM

No thanks!
Old 06-29-2005, 05:18 PM

But for us guyes that are just running stock this seems like it would be a good idea to get some more extra MPG since that is all some of us want. I run my truck a lot of years and miles and do not want to tear it up with a box or pay the money for one to just leave it on the low settings to get the better MPG when maybe a simple timming adjustment would do the same thing. I guess what we are asking does this seem like it would work?
Old 06-29-2005, 05:57 PM

It seems that no one is running this particular mod, It must not have taken hold yet.
It sure seems like a good idea if you aren't going to run a timing box.
Old 06-29-2005, 06:12 PM

Thinking about putting a degree wheel on the harmonic balance and adding 2 degrees and mark it would indicate how much the sensor would have to move. Maybe there's enough material to oval out the holes for the adjustment.
Now which way does the crank turn??

MikeyB
Old 06-29-2005, 06:48 PM

That is kind of along the lines of what I was thinking Mikey It would not be hard to figure with a degree wheel but I would like to make somethig that is adjustable and play around with it to see were the best MPG would be.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would think he is taking the sensor apart and putting some kind of resister inside or something to change the signal it sends by a few volts??? I dunno. I don't think he is "moving" anything though. More or less volts equals more or less timing advance. I think it would be more conceivable to add a resister inside that convinces the ECM that there is not enough timing (i.e. not enough volts)....hence advancing it for you. The sensor is almost hollow inside at the top. Should be plenty of room to solder in something. Just a thought.

No one ever heard of this until yesterday when the first post was made. In theory it should work great for the stock or pressure only guys. Heck....anyone running a VA C3.2 duration box and want to cool it down a little? I bet this would work great with the VA since it does no timing advance and probably give it a pretty good kick in power. Advancing timing 12 degrees is good for 35 horses, give or take. Probably be worth a couple miles per gallon if you were trying to be conservative. Not to bad for a mod that costs less than $30.00 I guess.
Old 06-30-2005, 08:25 AM

Now which way does the crank turn??
clockwise from front of engine, counter-clockwise from flywheel

I would think he is taking the sensor apart and putting some kind of resister inside or something to change the signal it sends by a few volts???
i don't think that would trick the ecm into thinking it has changed position... all it does is signal when the tooth of the tone wheel has passed the sensor... i think something phisically gets altered on the sensor so it can mount 2° off...

Quick Reply: Modified camshaft sensor?