3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Modified camshaft sensor?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So do you guys just want an adjustable timing only box? That would not be difficult to do. Say up to 12degrees?

Now with that said here are some things to think about:

If you do very much the ECM does not like it if the camshaft signal does not fall into the set parameters for what the crank is telling it. This is why TST uses both signals.

Timing alone with a change in the fueling curve will most likely not give much mileage gain, at least at 2deg. The main problem is that even moving the injection event into the cylinder earlier you have not really changed its efficiency. You will want to have slightly more fuel early to burn and then letter it taper off throughout the stroke. This effectively makes torque down low and the rate of acceleration of the engine will increase. You don't need a lot of fuel, but to see much of a gain you will need something to change the curve. If you advance the timing further the ecm will fuel slightly more on its own. I am not sure why, but I just know it does.

A resistor won't work it is not just a voltage.

If you are going to change the timing it needs something to map off of, like the map sensor. You don't really want to advace until you have some fuel available.

I have played with timing a bunch. Actually something we are working on will likely go back to using the two sensors along with the data link. I never thought a timing only box would be popular? Maybe I was wrong?
Old 07-12-2005, 05:57 AM

I never thought a timing only box would be popular? Maybe I was wrong?
it probably would be as one could stack it with any pressure box and like a vac3.2 duration box and be able to control all 3...

myself, i want to see a pressure & timing & duration box that gives you some sort of [fine] tuning over all parameters [sorta like how much extra power per setting you want to get ie. P20-T30-D20 or P45-T70-D50...]
Old 07-12-2005, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I like the idea of adjustable timing with a little duration and pressure added. Would be great to have more power and not have to worry about taxing the fuel system.

MikeyB
Old 07-12-2005, 08:22 AM

Originally posted by qzilla
So do you guys just want an adjustable timing only box? That would not be difficult to do. Say up to 12degrees?
How about a box designed to give max fuel economy? I wouldn't care how you did it.

Of course I won't be able to buy one until my warranty runs out, about 5 more years. I'm one of the unlucky few who has actually had to get their truck towed in for internal engine problems. I don't feel entirley confident in the dealership that did the work. As such, I can't risk my warranty.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:23 AM

YESYESYES

I would buy an adjustable timing box in a heartbeat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Give me a time and price I'm in!!!But can we not go to say 20 degrees and make in so we can adjust it with a knop or something!!!
Old 07-12-2005, 11:33 AM

These aren't 12v's that you can crank the timing up on until she starts huffing. The ECM references off the cam as well and the ECM won't like the crank sensor being that far off without the cam sensor being in sync. The 12v's raise the timing excessively for the high RPM capability while sled pulling, if you want that, then we need to hack the ECU, not adjust timing before the ECU ever sees it, that's been done by a thousand people. Somebody needs to break the encryptions and get some RPM's out of these suckers.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:07 PM

I just want my truck to run like HE double hockey sticks.
Old 07-12-2005, 12:48 PM

Hopefully I will have mine soon since the sensor is being shipped today. I will check with Rokktech for the turnaround time.

MikeyB
Old 07-12-2005, 04:22 PM

Originally posted by nickleinonen
it probably would be as one could stack it with any pressure box and like a vac3.2 duration box and be able to control all 3...

myself, i want to see a pressure & timing & duration box that gives you some sort of [fine] tuning over all parameters [sorta like how much extra power per setting you want to get ie. P20-T30-D20 or P45-T70-D50...]
Exactly what I've been wanting! This would allow you to use a little of each. A box like this could fit everyone! You could dial up the timing and a little pressure for mileage. Timing and duration for those that do not want pressure. Turn them all up for those who want max HP.

It could come with preset settings for those that do not want to tweek, with sub settings for those who do want to find the best setting for their truck and use.

Or, it could have three separate *****: timing, pressure, duration.

FB
Old 07-12-2005, 05:46 PM

Originally posted by FBs555CTD
Exactly what I've been wanting! This would allow you to use a little of each. A box like this could fit everyone! You could dial up the timing and a little pressure for mileage. Timing and duration for those that do not want pressure. Turn them all up for those who want max HP.

It could come with preset settings for those that do not want to tweek, with sub settings for those who do want to find the best setting for their truck and use.

Or, it could have three separate *****: timing, pressure, duration.

FB

I guess you will be a customer in a few months then!

Seriously, we have some cool stuff coming. Stay tuned.
Old 07-12-2005, 05:55 PM

Dang it Quad !! I was just in there today getting my standard box upgraded to a race box. Sure wish I could see what the mad scientist was cookin up in the back !!
Old 07-12-2005, 06:34 PM

You should have, you have an NDA with us! It ok, some of the stuff will be able to be talked about in a week or so anyways. Dang patent laws are tough!

Quad
Old 07-12-2005, 06:58 PM

Gee Quad, you need to start a 'Box of the month club'.
Like FB mentioned a fully adjustable timing/duration/pressure box would be the perfect setup.

MikeyB
Old 07-13-2005, 05:15 AM

Originally posted by qzilla
I guess you will be a customer in a few months then!

Seriously, we have some cool stuff coming. Stay tuned.

ooh...
Old 07-13-2005, 07:30 AM

I would also love to see a fully adjustable 3 way (get your mind out of the gutter) box.

Day to day I want the best MPG I can get but still want to play and tow heavy every now and again.

Build one and they will come. If priced right!

P.S. A stand-alone timing only box would sell as well (for the guys that already have pressure and/or other boxes.

Quick Reply: Modified camshaft sensor?